Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I have owned Zippo's for all my adult life, so I am not bashing them in general. I have my Grandfather's and my Uncle's he carried in vietnam, but the Zippo pipe lighter sucks IMO. I can't light the bottom of a bowl with it. The 14 dollar IMCOs that run on butane have a replaceable flint, an angled flame that you can make as long or short as you want. These work best for me.

You're holding it wrong.

-Steve Jobs
:rofl:

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
i like to use matches but usually if there is some wind i can't light my pipe so i use this one instead... David Ross household lighter - very cheap, very reliable, refilling is possible - very good especially to light pipes that have a very tall chambers... :)

perfect for me :)
idun28.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Nice one, Mukihr. I use an orange Bic lighter, backed up by a red Bic lighter, backed up by a barbeque lighter, backed up by a blowtorch. I rarely have problems because the pipes are afraid of the blowtorch and they know I'm not afraid to use it.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
baronsamedi - thank you... :D :D :D :D a blowtorch torture :) :) :) :) man, that was funny :)

... to be serious - that green lighter is a perfect one for me for sure... cheap and effective :P :P :hehehehehehhe

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I keep a small 32 count box of wooden matches (primary), two paper matchbooks, my zippo with a pipe insert, a zippo without the pipe insert, and at least one bic on hand at all times. Of course here at home I have umm. . .. About 200 of those boxes of matches, a case of the matchbooks (no idea how many are in there .. . a lot) 30 or 40 black bics, those two zippos and my third one I rotate with the non-pipe zippo.
My preference is absolutely to use matches, but it gets far too windy for that to be effective quite often around here.
For the most part I just use whatever is handy really >.>

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I keep a couple of 10 packs of the cheap Wally World butanes. (which I modify)

And, I keep several 10 packs of wooden matches.

I prefer the matches, but I (pardon the pun) burn through one of those lighters every couple of days.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
zippo and a bic here, i use the bic for the "false light" to get everything packed down right, then use the zippo till probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the bowl is gone, then i go back to the bic because i can't draw the zippo flame down that far (really deep bowl, almost to my second knuckle)
but i have noticed i will do some crazy puffs to get a light with the zippo when i'm driving because no A/C means no BIC lol

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I picked up a Zippo with the pipe insert yesterday. Just couldn't keep the matches lit outdoors except in a dead calm. Had a POS cheap pipe lighter that couldn't reliably light gunpowder, let alone tobacco.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.