PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
For best results use a magnifying glass or other pure solar heat making device to light a hemp wick. Let the wick burn for no less than 15 seconds to off gas any impurities. Take a new, sealed hemp wick and light it with the first hemp wick. Hold the flame precisely 1.74693 inches from the top of the rim and light gently. repeat this process for any necessary relights.
Or just use the damn lighter and be done with it.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Nothing but flint and steel for me. The metal adds a distinct, and robust note to any proper English blend.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's the stuff! Or this- (which requires a fire started by the above to heat the coil.)
SqzVELX.jpg

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Nothing but flint and steel for me
I've never had good luck with that. I always seem to push the striker too far and it knocks the pipe out of my mouth before the sparks from the flint can catch. I almost knocked out a tooth that way last year.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I bought butane inserts for my old Zippo lighters and really like them. They direct a soft flame at just the right angle. And they make that satisfying Zippo "click".

RZQCy4Dl.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use mostly matches now. Better protection against rim burn and the flame can be directed easier.
Same here. Once I mastered lighting with a match, I almost never use one of my zippos. I can light with a match now, even on a breezy day.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Sorry for being a wet blanket but, IMO, pipe smokers who spend time worrying about whether to use a match or a lighter need to find a hobby.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
My more serious answer is as follows...
I never use matches. If I smoked inside, I still wouldn't. Better technology is available with less clean-up and better reliability. To me, matches are the clay pipes of the tobacco ignition world; they are outdated and inferior tools. I don't take issue with any smell of Zippo lighter fluid; it doesn't transmit into the taste for me at all.
I can understand a certain aesthetic appeal to matches, and the ritual that goes with it, especially if you're an indoor smoker and are trying to maximize a relaxing, pipe smoking experience.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
All my smoking is outside and I live on the edge of Sydney harbour with a direct view of the gap between the 'heads' which is the entrance to the harbour from the Tasman Sea (aka South Pacific); therefore it can be very windy - especially when southerlies are blowing (which is pretty much most of the time at the moment :rofl: ). So, for me, a zippo is the preferred source of ignition. I might just be lucky (or it might be the wind) but I've not had problems with the smell of the lighter fuel interfering with my smoking pleasure.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
These days i use my old boy lighter but i used to use matches alot before. I think there is a special feeling when using matches. Also the flame holds a lower temperature vs the lighter.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I think there is a special feeling when using matches
Perfectly valid reason
[/quote]Also the flame holds a lower temperature vs the lighter.
Not so much...just hold the flame a bit further away. Problem solved, if in fact there is a problem. A match flame is every bit as capable of charring a rim.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Regarding charring with a match vs lighter, here's an interesting thread from a few years ago.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch
My problem with the standard Zippo insert is it the flame is not adjustable. My Thunderbird butane insert has no flavor and the flame can be adjusted down. But, I still like the soft touch of the match. I like to just get my tobacco smoldering. Once I mastered the match, tongue bit disappeared. Thats my experience.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Have you tried changing the length of the wick to adjust the flame to your liking?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Have you tried changing the length of the wick to adjust the flame to your liking?
Yes, it still can't be dialed down as low as the adjustable flame of the T-bird. This is a whole other thing, but on the Zippo pipe insert, there are holes on both side, so tipped sideways, the flame goes up thru the top hole. On the insert, one side is blocked off, so it's easier to pull the flame down. But that's a whole lighter thing...

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
On the insert, one side is blocked off
And the precise reason I don't/can't use one...just one example of the horrible discrimination against left handed people :rofl:

bwhiteside

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Never got used to matches; too many burnt fingers. I usually smoke outside on the patio, but always a struggle to use an Old Boy if there is any wind. Just picked up a Tsubota Stanley last week, which has a little stronger flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.