PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
I found that lighting with matches is better than a zippo pipe ligther or butane lighter ( I got a colibri wellington )
The matche give no fuel taste at all and seem to not over burn the tobacco.
What are your thoughts?
Cheers!

This comes up, and I have never had a smoke ruined by the taste of butane, or lighter fluid of any kind. I feel the same way about the sulfur smell of matches being lit. None of them really bother me. If used properly any source of heat will work for me. Heat a metal rod in a fire and hold it over my pipe about half and inch to an inch and gently draw the heat down. A blowtorch works just fine at about an inch and a half. A match at about half an inch. Just DO NOT POINT THE FLAME OF ANY LIGHTER DOWN INTO THE BOWL. It is unnecessary and ruins the inside of the chamber. But, ultimately, it is your pipe, your money, and your habits. Do as you like. :puffy:
I like matches. I also like Zippos and Bics. Bics are easier to get a hold of for me, so I usually just keep one in my pocket, but if the mood strikes me, I will fuel up a pipe lighter or put a pack of matches in my pocket. But, the majority of the time it is a Bic.
The weirdest people are those that will light a hemp string and light their pipes with that. Weird may be too strong a term. They just make me laugh. :puffy:

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I agree, but usually I use a Bic anyway for convenience. They're ok if you just touch the tobacco with the tip of the flame instead of jamming it in the bowl down to the flame hole, or whatever it's called. I don't use a Zippo, there's no escaping the smell.
See haiku thread for additional info.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Good for you on your discovery. I don't taste fluid with my Zippo, I let the flame burn for a second before applying it to the bowl. We all have different techniques. Whatever works is pretty much the mantra around here.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm also a mixed user. Sometimes matches just for nostalgia but mostly Zippo and quite often Bic.
cosmic hit the nail on the head. It's not the type of flame or heat, it's getting the right temperature at the tobacco and that means varying the distance from heat source to tobacco.
Oh yeah, the whole hemp wick thing is beyond me. Why in the world do you need a lighter to light your lighter????

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
cosmic hit the nail on the head. It's not the type of flame or heat, it's getting the right temperature at the tobacco and that means varying the distance from heat source to tobacco.
Yep. Distance and time are the keys to getting the right temperature onto the top of the tobacco. The tip of the flame doesn't actually hit the tobacco, or needn't.
And, define "best". I happily use matches and butane lighters.
I found that lighting with matches is better than a zippo pipe ligther or butane lighter ( I got a colibri wellington )
As also mentioned above, whatever supports your vessel.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I use mostly matches now. Better protection against rim burn and the flame can be directed easier.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I only use my IM Corona Pipemasters and Old Boys for lighting my pipes. I like the angled flame and I like that they all have built in tampers. I have never once tasted anything from the Butane.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Zippo and clipper lighter as back up.

Clipper lighters are great, refillable and you can change the flints.

Never had the taste ruined by lighter fluid.

cajunrph

Lurker
Dec 5, 2014
I smoke outside and most the time the wind is too much for matches. I've used Zippo and Bic. I also tried the Hemp Wick. The thought is to be able to direct the himp wick into the bowl instead of firing the Bic into the bowl. But you have the same issue as a match. Any amount of wind and the wick won't stay lit. I live 15 miles from the coast so my situation may be different than most. Mostly I use a Zippo. And let it burn for a few seconds. I hardly have any after taste. I may just go to a bic as my zippo dries out. My pipe smoking isn't a daily thing for me due to time constraints.

Sep 18, 2015
I go thru phases where I’ll use matches but mostly a refillable butane pipe lighter around the house and a bic for the truck and job sites. Haven’t used a zippo in years.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Zippo or bic for me, I started with matches and I hated then, almost gave up pipe smoking at first because I usually smoke on a 2nd story patio and there always seems to be some wind. Glad I spend the 14 bucks on a pipe zippo.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
Can I light the hemp wick with a Bic or do I need to light that with a hemp wick as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.