PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
bic/wick. I have taken to carrying a small winding of wick when I go out.

I have a couple of home made dispensers around the crib.

Saves butane, and allows for leisurely lights.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
In the course of years of trial and error, I've discovered that fire does a pretty decent job of lighting my pipes. :puffy:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
(Matches when the ambient air or wind allows, pipe Zippo or Bic otherwise ... nothing new or original here.)

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
I only use matches. They cause the least damage to the rim of the pipe.
Check out this old thread
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Good point Warren. A little care and attention go a long way. In my case, I tried many lighters: Zippos, Dunhills, IM Coronas... etc. But for some reason I can't control the flame as well with a lighter as with a match.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I found that lighting with matches is better than a zippo pipe ligther or butane lighter ( I got a colibri wellington )
The matche give no fuel taste at all and seem to not over burn the tobacco.
What are your thoughts?
I much prefer butane for my relights, and a match for first light.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I like the idea of matches and agree that they're probably safer. I often smoke with a vent fan near a window to exhaust the smoke. I've had the unfortunate experience of scorching the rim of a good pipe when the wind overcame the fan and blew the flame of my old boy lighter across the edge of the rim. If I'd been using a match, the flame would have been blown out before any damage was done. OTOH, using the old boy carefully is a lot more convenient. BIC lighters are fine for me in a pinch but only for quick relights. Otherwise, I tend to burn my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.