PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Curious if a pre-calcined pipe like that would continue to color like a normal white meerschaum, just with a bit of a headstart? Anyone have experience with these?

Reactions: didimauw
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This is a screenshot from For a Few Dollars More -

377353f226275467307f1afc6fa28a742133634a.jpg

I'd say most of the 'Lee Van Cleef' pipes are very similar no?

Meerschaum-Pipes-ALTINAY-10491-1-1-800x571.jpg

Also, Said Altinay is really active on these forums, you can always inquire about some custom details..
Nope! Most of them don't have the correct bend or the correct bowl shape or size. If they do then the coloring is usually off. I've looked at countless LVC pipes on multiple pipe websites, meerschaum sites, and eBay over the past 10 years. I've yet to find one that I would pull the trigger on. That's just me though.

Jun 23, 2019
Fai
Nope! Most of them don't have the correct bend or the correct bowl shape or size. If they do then the coloring is usually off. I've looked at countless LVC pipes on multiple pipe websites, meerschaum sites, and eBay over the past 10 years. I've yet to find one that I would pull the trigger on. That's just me though.

Fair enough; but still a couple of emails solves that problem for you.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Does anyone know, if the pipe in question was his own? Or how they came about choosing this pipe?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
View attachment 314664
"Calciné Meerschaum, pictured above, is beautifully colored by boiling in natural wood oils at 400° for many hours. Combines smoking qualities of Meerschaum with the magnificent color and added strength obtained from the boiling process."
That's actually untrue they're burned with heat guns or heated on a flat grill like the video I posted earlier in the thread after beeswax is applied.

PLANofMAN

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
That's actually untrue they're burned with heat guns or heated on a flat grill like the video I posted earlier in the thread after beeswax is applied.
All I know is that I bought this Borkum Riff Meerschaum pipe:
Screenshot_2024-06-02-14-05-17-72_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
Which came with shipping box and paperwork:
Screenshot_2024-06-02-14-04-52-42_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
These were imported from Austria. "Home of the world's finest craftsman of Meerschaum pipes." That was a very long time ago.
comica1717437553536.png
There's a dozen different ways to cure briar, and you've listed off two different ways of calcining Meerschaum. Why shouldn't there be a third? Or fourth? Or fifth?

Edit: I'll also point out that other people have said earlier in the thread that neither the oven technique, heat gun, or grill achieves the same mottled effect people are trying to reproduce. Either the technique is different, or the Meerschaum is some super special stuff, only available to one pipe manufacturer.

Which is the more believable scenario?

Edit 2: For all I know, these pipes could be made from pressed meer, in which case, a different coloring technique would or could be required.

Looking at the white pipe, it looks to be coloring fairly normally, so I would guess it's block Meerschaum, but I'm no expert on these things.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
There's a dozen different ways to cure briar, and you've listed off two different ways of calcining Meerschaum. Why shouldn't there be a third? Or fourth? Or fifth?
Soaking the meerschaum in oil that long would break it down and soften it. Once dried even the carvers don't leave the blocks in water very long to soften them when carving and the wax bath only lasts a couple of seconds. Just sounds like a marketing gimmick and not information gleaned from the carvers.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Edit: I'll also point out that other people have said earlier in the thread that neither the oven technique, heat gun, or grill achieves the same mottled effect people are trying to reproduce. Either the technique is different, or the Meerschaum is some super special stuff, only available to one pipe manufacturer.
The video and information I posted was sent to me by a carver.

Reactions: BingBong

PLANofMAN

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
Soaking the meerschaum in oil that long would break it down and soften it. Once dried even the carvers don't leave the blocks in water very long to soften them when carving and the wax bath only lasts a couple of seconds. Just sounds like a marketing gimmick and not information gleaned from the carvers.
Water dissolves Meerschaum over time. I wouldn't be quick to assume oil would do the same thing, also heat hardens Meerschaum, and 400° oil might very well have a hardening effect.

While it is possible that briar curing instructions were sent by mistake, it's also plausible that this was how they calcined Meerschaum. It will have to be a mystery until someone takes a broken meer and tries it out.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The one person who might actually do that just happens to be who you've been conversing with.

What do say @Chasing Embers ? For SCIENCE!
Not at all. I just posted WHAT THE CARVERS SAY, not just handed down information but the folks that make the calcined pipes. The purchased pipe appears to be uncalcined as well.

This was done with a hair dryer.

img_20150216_134421-600x450.jpg20180930_184036.jpg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Does anyone know who made the LVC's original meerschaum pipe with the yellow lucite stem ? or where he might have purchased it ? I thought I read the WDC was purchased in Oxnard, Ca.

PLANofMAN

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
The one person who might actually do that just happens to be who you've been conversing with.

What do say @Chasing Embers ? For SCIENCE!

Another thread where "oil curing" pressed meer is discussed.