PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
The case seems older that the pipe and looks to be made for a slightly larger pipe (hard to be certain from a photo). Otherwise the pipe looks nice though I suspect it wasn't made in Austria. Maybe an African block meerschaum looking at the flambé top and overall dye.

Does it feel heavy? Does the pipe knock around f you close it in the case and shake it?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
The case seems older that the pipe and looks to be made for a slightly larger pipe (hard to be certain from a photo). Otherwise the pipe looks nice though I suspect it wasn't made in Austria. Maybe an African block meerschaum looking at the flambé top and overall dye.

Does it feel heavy? Does the pipe knock around f you close it in the case and shake it?
I dont yet have the pipe but do wonder if it is a Strambach Meerschaum as I have found a couple of photos of similar pipes and this write up

note the use of the metal tenon

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I dont yet have the pipe but do wonder if it is a Strambach Meerschaum as I have found a couple of photos of similar pipes and this write up

note the use of the metal tenon
I've only had one Strambach and the metal tenon on it was a little different than yours. I'm not sure that is relevant, just an observation. It's a nice looking pipe, and I don't think you overpaid for it especially as the seller accepted your offer (looked it up on sold auctions). Definitely follow up once you receive it.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yes, this pipe is pre-colored. "Vienna Meerschaum" was long slang for pressed/chip meerschaums, and I think that's what this is. Made by Strambach, Bauer or similar in the 1950s,very pretty and should smoke well.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Definitely block. An example of what is now being marketed as "translucent meerschaum". It appears the top of the bowl was fumed. Nice snag.
Yes, this pipe is pre-colored. "Vienna Meerschaum" was long slang for pressed/chip meerschaums, and I think that's what this is. Made by Strambach, Bauer or similar in the 1950s,very pretty and should smoke well.
Seems to be a question of whether this is block or pressed. If pressed, then it's not "translucent".

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I recall seeing these pipes in Sears and JCPenney Christmas catalogs from the 1950s on "Wishbook Web." They usually had a page of smoking stuff. These were noted as being pressed, but I just remembered these were sold as being "oil cured." I don't know what that process is like, but I've seen photos of others and they also had this translucent look. Usually I see an apple shape.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020

from what I have read the only maker using metal tenons was Strambach and they use cultured meerschaum which is similar to real meerschaum but lab grown instead of mined.
I am guessing this pipe is a strambach but may be wrong

I located the Strambach that I mentioned earlier and now think that you are correct. Your pipe is also a Strambach. Mine looks to be the same meerschaum and has the exact same style tenon as yours. Here are pictures for your comparison. Apologies if I threw you off earlier, I'm not sure why I thought that the tenons were different. Must be that my memory has gotten fuzzy.

tempImageSGFs36.jpgtempImagePOZv9Z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.