PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I totally agree that "the same old question" can bring on totally different answers within a few months and new pipe smokers are far and few in-between so we should treat them respectfully. I have always welcomed "same old questions" because there always is very different answers after the initial, "that's been asked a million times" posts but when the OP has nothing to add and only starts threads, I begin to wonder if the answers he/she gets are appreciated or even read.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If you are getting tired of the same ol questions, then take a break for a while. Go post on a car forum ride a bike or whatever for a while.

But, we are going to get over a hundred more posts for the rest of the year asking about tongue bite and how to smoke Virginias. Without those, what is the forum for?

I don't think any of us mind the same old questions. I've never seen anyone here act dismissively to someone who was asking a question in a well-considered and good faith manner.

I think the objection here is the lack of effort and the almost demand-like quality of the inquiry that results from that lack of effort. "I have taken zero time to look into this myself. Now can anyone tell me what blend prominently features perique" is a troublesome post, not because of the newbieness, but because of the imposition, or as @Casual said, treating the forum members like a personal encyclopedia.

Reactions: mingc and Casual

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Ok guys…no more posting questions unless you’ve been on the forum for 12 years and have made at least 16,000 posts. All you peasants shall remain in the back seat with your mouths closed. We can’t have all of these silly tobacco related questions disturbing the elders posting pictures of tonight’s dinner or their mangy dogs.

Have we really progressed that low here? I thought this was about sharing our love of pipes and tobacco? Ever think some people just might be very enthusiastic about what we do here? I shamefully admit that I’m one of the more quiet ones but I love the content and think the contributors are decent and upstanding people. If questions bother you too much, then get over yourself. Don’t crap all over someone who shows a little enthusiasm. If we’re heading toward elitism, count me out.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Ok guys…no more posting questions unless you’ve been on the forum for 12 years and have made at least 16,000 posts. All you peasants shall remain in the back seat with your mouths closed. We can’t have all of these silly tobacco related questions disturbing the elders posting pictures of tonight’s dinner or their mangy dogs.

Have we really progressed that low here? I thought this was about sharing our love of pipes and tobacco? Ever think some people just might be very enthusiastic about what we do here? I shamefully admit that I’m one of the more quiet ones but I love the content and think the contributors are decent and upstanding people. If questions bother you too much, then get over yourself. Don’t crap all over someone who shows a little enthusiasm. If we’re heading toward elitism, count me out.

Let’s be fair to all the forum members here, including the long time members. The vast majority of new members are well-received by everyone.

Reactions: mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.