PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, then. How does one broach the subject that a new member has not lurked long enough to learn the local culture and make an effort to fit in? How to raise the issue that he seems to be treating the forum like his personal pipe encyclopedia rather than a discussion amongst peers?

This sort of light piss-taking, to borrow from the British, is how lots of men let a new person to a social situation know that they’ve unfortunately stepped their toes over a line of local culture. It’s not a capital-r Rule, so it’s not something to report to the mods, so there has to be some mechanism to bring new members into the local culture. Silence won’t do it. Silence just lets anyone come along and ruin a good thing.

I’d be interested in hearing alternatives. But this one has thousands of years of practice behind it.
You missed the essential part of my post
Remember what we did to that one forum member... poor poor Starcat. He will be missed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ok, then. How does one broach the subject that a new member has not lurked long enough to learn the local culture and make an effort to fit in? How to raise the issue that he seems to be treating the forum like his personal pipe encyclopedia rather than a discussion amongst peers?

This sort of light piss-taking, to borrow from the British, is how lots of men let a new person to a social situation know that they’ve unfortunately stepped their toes over a line of local culture. It’s not a capital-r Rule, so it’s not something to report to the mods, so there has to be some mechanism to bring new members into the local culture. Silence won’t do it. Silence just lets anyone come along and ruin a good thing.

I’d be interested in hearing alternatives. But this one has thousands of years of practice behind it.
Very well stated.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I love taking the piss. But I’ve had to learn the hard way that it’s actually quite a culturally specific sense of humour, and that in the long run it is really only funny in a spirit of camaraderie and not at another’s expense.

So…I’m committing to answering leroys’ questions sincerely, primarily so the rest of you can keep up with the banter. But seriously, if this guy really fucks you off, just click ignore.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I love taking the piss. But I’ve had to learn the hard way that it’s actually quite a culturally specific sense of humour, and that in the long run it is really only funny in a spirit of camaraderie and not at another’s expense.

So…I’m committing to answering leroys’ questions sincerely, primarily so the rest of you can keep up with the banter. But seriously, if this guy really fucks you off, just click ignore.
The OP rarely engages with those who answer so I can't tell if he or she is actually interested in the answers. The lack of interaction is also somewhat disturbing. I wonder if this is some kind of deranged Turing test. Anyway, that's why I don't respond.

Last edited:

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
I have to say, it's quite something seeing two pages of people being one of these gifs, either at OP or at each other:

computer-throw.gif

jon-tron-confuse.gif

In a twisted sense, this thread's pretty damn good at spawning some sort of discussion, without being too harmful.

No matter how many times it's been asked before it is likely that new questions are good for driving traffic on the forum.
Yeh, ever since I have been here, Kevin and mods have always said that we aren't supposed to smack down new posters asking the same questions that have been asked a million times... well, unless there are actually duplicate thread running at one time. Each new person and the same ol same questions are to be tolerated, because it is an easy step into the community and allows newer folks to help newbies also.

It's just plain unwelcoming and an asshole move to smack down a newbie like that. If you don't like the post, just move on. Many here will be glad to help this guy out. No one is forcing anyone to respond or even read every thread. Hell, I definately don't read every thread, and you guys know what a chatty kathy I am.

If you are getting tired of the same ol questions, then take a break for a while. Go post on a car forum ride a bike or whatever for a while.

But, we are going to get over a hundred more posts for the rest of the year asking about tongue bite and how to smoke Virginias. Without those, what is the forum for?

I joined a few other pipe forums not so long ago, one encouraged members to search for like posts before posting, and the place looked like a bunch of musty old pipesmokers all talking about nothing. The place looked dead.

New guys, make your damn selves at home, and feel free to ask what the hell ever you want to ask about pipes.

If I'm wrong, may Kevin strike me dead right here where I post. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.