PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've burned myself out on it.. only right after deciding it was about all I wanted to smoke, and buying pounds of various lat bombs.:ROFLMAO:
Although it was never a staple, I figured it was something every responsible pipe smoker should enjoy and keep on hand. The pound or two of various lat blends that I put in the cellar will more than likely outlive me.

I revisit from time to time just to see if anything has clicked and so far that would be a definite negatory.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
When I was young the conventional wisdom about latakia was that you either liked it or you didn't. This bilateral view made me see it as a different tobacco to either embrace or spurn. This was not said about any other tobacco. It made me wonder if I liked it. For about 18 months I thought I did, but then I decided I didn't, and the outcome was that I didn't smoke it for more than 10 years.

When I tried it again I felt I had missed out.
Same here -- hadn't smoked it since about 2010 -- now I crave Billy Budd, Black Frigate and OJK Red Label

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I feel much the same way. Years ago Squadron Leader was my go-to blend. Now I couldn't touch it.
Squadron Leader is excellent. The Latakia is way in the background (at least to my palate). I feel sorry for the lot of ya. May my day never come. I know there are folks that never tire of it. Rick Newcombe is one example. That guy loves his Latakia and he’s been smoking it a long time.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Americans always see themselves differently than the rest of the world does. That's a stone cold fact.

The tobacco leaf may have similar issues around dysmorphic disorder, but it's only a guess.

I thought Virginia's looked like this:

Virginia.jpg

And Latakia, alluring, sophisticated and mysterious is of course a little something like this:

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Americans always see themselves differently than the rest of the world does. That's a stone cold fact.

The tobacco leaf may have similar issues around dysmorphic disorder, but it's only a guess.

I thought Virginia's looked like this:

View attachment 47091

And Latakia, alluring, sophisticated and mysterious is of course a little something like this:

View attachment 47095
Fantastic imagery. Agree 100%

Reactions: Spavilla

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Careful, Central and South America are Americans too.
I have a house in Brasil and have travelled extensively through South America. I also have a house in Canada and have gotten around there too, including the good ol' USA. In all of that time and geographical space, I've only ever heard one group of people describe themselves as American.

Bet you can't guess who!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
After what pipestud posted about the disappearance of latakia, it may come if you want it or not.
That scares the ever lovin’ shite out of me! But, we’ll make due if it comes to that, we always do. I wonder if we could try to make it here. Sure it would taste different, different woods to burn with but it might be worth giving it a go if our source of Latakia goes away.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That scares the ever lovin’ shite out of me! But, we’ll make due if it comes to that, we always do. I wonder if we could try to make it here. Sure it would taste different, different woods to burn with but it might be worth giving it a go if our source of Latakia goes away.
Dark Fired Kentucky kind of is the American latakia.