Latakia Paradox?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

My take on latakia is that, if I am also smoking Virginias and burleys in my rotation, it will overwhelm my palate. Once I get my taste buds fine tuned to tobaccos with a more delicate flavors, then latakia is like a carpet bomb on my senses. I can no longer pull subtle nuances out of the rest of the tobaccos in my rotation. But, if I am smoking various latakia blends in my rotation, then I can start to pull out different leaf flavors in the various latakia blends. But, returning to Virginias and burleys, I have to re-develop my sense of taste.

I usually enjoy latakias more in the winter, because to me, the tastes are more reminiscent of winter aromas, burning leaves, crackling fire places, rotting dead vegetation, funeral pyres, and the smell of impending death from my own old age, IMO. And, the overwhelming flavor is better on a cold day outside. But, some guys will disagree, but disagreeing with someone's subjective opinion is a fool's errand. So, develop your own opinions. If you hate latakias, get in line. Lots of guys hate it... as they should. By having diverse tastes and opinions, we have a better forum. Don't let us talk you into liking something. Think for yourself. And, revel in your hatred for things other people enjoy. It will keep these snowflakes (gotta love all blends and all tobacco companies) in line. puffy

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm trying to understand Latakia. I've smoked several English blends and have enjoyed most of them. When I read tobacco reviews, words like grassy, hay, leather, fruity, figs, raisins, spicy, earthy, and many others are often used in a single description of a blend. Clearly, my palate is not sophisticated enough to separate all those nuances, which brings me to the topic of Latakia. To me, Latakia is a lot like cilantro. When either one is present, that's all I taste. It overwhelms everything else. Am I the only one who has had this experience? How does one train (if there is such a thing) the palate to detect and enjoy the individual components of a blend?

I like the cilantro analogy, and I've had a similar experience with Latakia. I like cilantro, but I don't like Latakia. I gave it a good try, but I don't care for the flavor or aroma, and obviously that's a problem for me when it dominates a blend the way Latakia can. I actually wish I did like the flavor, as I really like the cool burning, creamy quality it gives the smoke. Like other posters have said, maybe you'll like blends with a only a small amount of it. Or maybe you just don't like it. Pipe tobacco doesn't lack for variety, so go with what you really like. For me, the process of nailing down the fact that I didn't like Lat saved me a lot of time and $$ for concentrating on finding specific blends among the blend genres I knew I did like.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
My take on latakia is that, if I am also smoking Virginias and burleys in my rotation, it will overwhelm my palate. Once I get my taste buds fine tuned to tobaccos with a more delicate flavors, then latakia is like a carpet bomb on my senses.

For me, the answer to the problem is the "America English" blends that are largely burley with just a condiment level of latikia. They've become some of my favorites lately because they solve the problem you're describing and keep all the flavors in check. You still get the interesting flavors of latakia without it becoming like kudzu and taking over the entire garden.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
For me, the answer to the problem is the "America English" blends that are largely burley with just a condiment level of latikia. They've become some of my favorites lately because they solve the problem you're describing and keep all the flavors in check. You still get the interesting flavors of latakia without it becoming like kudzu and taking over the entire garden.

+1

I have smoked a lot of lat bombs, but lately I’m enjoying blends where Latakia is blended in with a light hand. I’ve been smoking some Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme that I’ve had in my cellar for a while. Its pretty good, but perhaps a little flat, and I’d like to explore some similar (but hopefully more nuanced) blends. I’ve been looking into it and making a list. So far John Cotton’s 1&2 is at the top of my “light Latakia blends to try” list.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Agreed. I got back into latakia with Old Joe Krantz Red Label. It has a trace of latakia, but is primarily burley, va, and perique. Think Old Joe Krantz with a splash of latakia. Over time, I noticed I started craving a bowl of that per day, eventually started liking heavier latakia blends occasionally again.

Reactions: logs
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I had to try the Latakia because of all the hype. I bought some presbyterian. When it arrives I hated it it smelled like that old moldy fort you tried to make as a kid out in the woods. I read more about it and tried to cellar it to calm it down. still cant stand it, but i do like the occasional BS 759

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had to try the Latakia because of all the hype. I bought some presbyterian. When it arrives I hated it it smelled like that old moldy fort you tried to make as a kid out in the woods. I read more about it and tried to cellar it to calm it down. still cant stand it, but i do like the occasional BS 759
Probably the Orientals in Presbyterian as it has very little latakia. There's more latakia in BS 759 than Presbyterian.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Agree with others that Latakia blends dampen my tastebuds ability to fully enjoy nuisance from straight VA, burley, & oriental tobaccos afterwards.

I do enjoy Latakia blends such as HH Syrian, Penzance, Margate, & Our Best Blend usually at the days end.

Reactions: pantsBoots

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When a Lat blend is done well, the Lat gives a resonance and depth, usually by being used with restraint, not too much. Most condiments do best when they set off and accent the base tobacco, not plow it under. Too much Lat is like too much percussion that is usually done by a not-so-good drummer who wants to solo, and can't always keep time.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
When a Lat blend is done well, the Lat gives a resonance and depth, usually by being used with restraint, not too much. Most condiments do best when they set off and accent the base tobacco, not plow it under. Too much Lat is like too much percussion that is usually done by a not-so-good drummer who wants to solo, and can't always keep time.
Pirate Kake's drummer.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
The first tin I ever bought was Presbyterian mixture. As a big scotch fan, that Smokey smell (having never smelled English tobacco prior) was unreal. I’m now a much more regular VA smoker. The only blend I’ve ever not been able to handle is Pirate kake. It could have just been an off day/off bowl, but I’m still building up a desire to try it again.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Latakia has a weird affect on my palate. Others here describe that it mutes out other blends to where they can’t taste the nuances of a straight VA blend, for me it has a completely opposite effect, it totally wakes my palate up and allows me to taste so much more than if I simply smoked a VA blend by itself. This is why I almost always have two pipes lit at the same time, one pipe always contains a Latakia blend. It’s weird I know but it works for me and I enjoy it so I went with it.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I smoke a Latakia blend once per week / sometimes longer in between. It's more enjoyable the less I smoke it