PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Still avoiding reading other's input & info. so that I can make a proper fool of myself :LOL:

I got to "D" last night and I think I prefer it so far. I'm guessing VA, Lat & Oriental components. I found it to have a little of that "cooling" effect like the "menthol" I got from "B", but my palate found it to be more complex, delicate, and overall better "interwoven" flavors. It held my attention even whilst I was distracted... (And this was even being 88F outside where I was)

This morning I tried "E" and thought it might go ok with the cool and rain I had... Smelled stronger of Lat and seemed more "familiar" to some I've had in the past; but whatever other leaf present (VA, Oriental) was rather hidden behind it like a Latakia curtain. Not quite a Lat "bomb" but rather close for me. It didn't capture my attention and I put it down early.

I should get to "F" tonight if all goes well.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Still avoiding reading other's input & info. so that I can make a proper fool of myself :LOL:

I got to "D" last night and I think I prefer it so far. I'm guessing VA, Lat & Oriental components. I found it to have a little of that "cooling" effect like the "menthol" I got from "B", but my palate found it to be more complex, delicate, and overall better "interwoven" flavors. It held my attention even whilst I was distracted... (And this was even being 88F outside where I was)

This morning I tried "E" and thought it might go ok with the cool and rain I had... Smelled stronger of Lat and seemed more "familiar" to some I've had in the past; but whatever other leaf present (VA, Oriental) was rather hidden behind it like a Latakia curtain. Not quite a Lat "bomb" but rather close for me. It didn't capture my attention and I put it down early.

I should get to "F" tonight if all goes well.
I forgot to mention that during my experience with "D", I kept wondering about the presence of Perique... I really couldn't couldn't claim to taste it but the thought wouldn't go away.

Geez I wonder how foolish I'm going to feel by the reveal...

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I forgot to mention that during my experience with "D", I kept wondering about the presence of Perique... I really couldn't couldn't claim to taste it but the thought wouldn't go away.

Geez I wonder how foolish I'm going to feel by the reveal...
It's not listed, but it's quite possible it could still be there. Blenders aren't known for being absolutely accurate when listing ingredients. I don't think they're trying to be sneaky or lazy or anything. I think they just don't want to give other blenders a real accurate roadmap if they decided they wanted to create something to compete in the market.

I think they do list the stuff that's obvious, that anyone could tell just by smoking it, but there's definitely stuff they leave off or are vague about.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
As luck would have it, I got sick right after I received my samples, so I am woefully behind, but I plan on correcting that this evening. Hopefully I'll get through both A and B samples and I'll report back here with my notes.
Damn near same thing that happened to me. I too was playing catch-up. Should get the last one in tonight.
But I smoked them all in a Peterson 314 and only used 1/2 the sample for a bowl, so I should have leftover to go back for 1 last bowl after I get the "answers" and can train the palate that way.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
IMG_5746.jpeg

Pipe: Old German clay cutty
Beverage: Ice water.

“D” was wholly unremarkable for me.
Latakia was subdued and homogenous. Virginias are OK. There seems to be a light flavoring in the casing or topping that is a bit cloying and loitering in the nose, and overides the tobaccos. Can’t tell whether I’m smelling Orientals or the flavoring. I don’t care for noticeable added flavors in blends with Orientals.

Smooth with minimal bite. Medium nic hit.

Not a blend I’d choose to smoke again.

On to “E”!

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Limping into the finish line with "E" and "F" below:

-- E --
A big whack of perfume and incense. I was surprised how quickly the floral fragrance came on, present pretty much from the charring light. Could it be a topping of some kind? If so, it seems so well integrated. As flavors built up I also got a powdery floral and sour candy experience that reminded me of sample "B" and to a lesser extent, "A" but far less sweet than both. Similar key ingredient? Same blending house? I can't wait to find out.

There was also some pleasing dynamism in this sample which lead to me scribbling lots stupid-looking tasting notes: "zesty orange peel! nag champa! nuts!" Then, a little after halfway through the bowl it flattened out, loosing those wild flavors. Again, maybe there's a volatile topping is in play here? Hmm!

-- F --
Very pleased to find out that "F" is for flake. As pointed out by shipmate @mingc, it feels rare to see a true flake with latakia and not a crumble cake.

Needless to say, this one had the most obvious and familiar latakia flavors of all the samples -- resin, barbecue, leather, creosote, a freshly snuffed candle, the bromine smell of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World. You guys know. The classics.

Clearly there's a lot of latakia here, a flue cured component, and MAYBE deep down there's also some unsweetened burley cavendish for body and burn? I wonder this mostly because it had such good smoking properties. Hardly needed a relight and even delivered the coveted "fine white ash."

-- Conclusions --
Going with @PA Piper Mike's method of ranked choice, my preferences from favorite to least favorite:

C - E - D - B - F - A

I enjoyed them all. And even moreso than the tobacco, I enjoyed experience of tasting these blind along with everybody and reading your notes. I learned a lot about what Latakia can taste like and a lot about my own tastes, too. Thank you again to Butter Side Down and everyone.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The variety of all our palates is truly a wonder...

And finally I get to "F". This seems familiar to me.
Bold, creamy, smooth, smoky, full & luscious Latakia! The kind I reach for in the winter though, not typically when I'm in the heat of summer - this is weather for VA or VAPer's or ... you know

Actually I might have to rely on the hot weather to explain all my tasting weird-nesses...

Lat, VA, Oriental, Burley.
MacBaren HH Latakia Flake, final answer.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
We've still got a few people who aren't quite finished.

Let's give everybody the weekend to finish up and do the reveal on Monday. That will be 2 weeks from the time that everyone received the samples anyway.

I think Sablebrush52 may be late checking in. He's had a busy couple of weeks. Even if he's still too swamped to report, I'm sure he will still enjoy everything when he's caught up.

Also, it looks Peter Turbo fell overboard shortly after the boat left the dock. If anybody sees him, throw him a life preserver!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Alright….

Sample E is definitely my favorite so far.

Leather, spice, dark fruit, oak and a dark sweetness coupled with a well aged spirit.

The bag note is all smoke and spice.

But the flavor has a whole rollercoaster thing going on.

Best way I can describe it would to imagine that it’s the Holidays and you’re sitting next to a fire sipping on a hot spiced cider spiked with some aged rum with the Christmas tree sitting in the corner.

Sweet, smokey, spicy, tangy with a hint of leather and pine/cedar. There is also a vanilla note that comes and goes.

This is very familiar, but I’m not confident enough to guess. But it is delicious.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Sample F definitely has the most Latakia to my taste.

Smoke and Leather in the bag.

A broken flake that is almost completely black.

The Lat is dominant on the first light. Then settles down a bit to let the other leafs come through.

Dark caramel is the apparent sweetness for me. With smoky and musty notes weaving in and out.

If E was like Christmas, Sample F is at home in a leather appointed study.

This blend would be perfect in a warm study sitting in an overstuffed leather chair while reading a book and sipping on a snifter of Cognac with a fire crackling in the fireplace.

Definitely an enjoyable blend.

ECFBAD would be my order, but I would be happy with any of them.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Ok folks. Here we go.

Before I do the reveal, you'll notice as you go through that most all of these are no longer available. It wasn't supposed to be that way. Originally, I was just going to include two hard to get items and two packets of unobtainium. But there was an unfortunate occurrence with F, one of the available but hard to get blends (more on that below), and I had to punt. The best substitute I had on hand was a discontinued blend. And then I decided wanted to sort of fill in the conceptual blanks between things so I added a couple of blends. And the only examples I had that fit in those places were also discontinued. Hopefully, you all will appreciate that you got to try a fair number of bygone blends. And not be angry that you now love something you'll have to pay a lot to get.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I hope you all had fun! If not, please direct all death threats to my communications officer. Apparently, they “make great PR if you spin them right.”

So anyway, here we go...

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
A: McClelland Wilderness (2010)

Like a walk in a country field. Breathing in the smells of grass and vegetation, growth and decay. In the next field over someone is burning pine logs in their fireplace. Yeah, all those things are there. But I wish there was more of them. It felt like a bit of a fight to tease them out. As a tobacco... it's... nice. Obviously well-blended. Somewhat complex. But in the final analysis, it's a little too subtle for my tastes.

Why is it here? I thought it would be unfair to throw y'all right in to B. I thought this would be a nice introduction to the flavor of Syrian Latiakia, and be lighter in body than B.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
B: GLP Bohemian Scandal (2004)

I'm quite surprised at it's poor showing here. I have to admit that I kind of think its is a work of art. While just south of medium in body, it's still full of complexity. Coy and intriguing with occasional ventures into boldness. A singular experience. I really can't think of anything else like it. The Syrian Latakia is undoubtedly delicious, but it shows it's talent by excelling even in a supporting role, beautifully sublimating it's ego to the the orientals' exotic incense and spice. There, I'm getting all poetical. It's truly sad this blend is gone forever. However... If I'm honest, if this was still readily available, I doubt I'd pick up a tin very frequently. As evidence, observe the fact that I had 4oz of it for 15 years and barely made it through half of it. Don't get me wrong. I can understand and even wholeheartedly agree that it's a work of art. There are just other paintings in the museum that I connect with more personally even if I know they're less masterful.

Why is it here? It would be nice if every pipe smoker got the chance to try this. Now you guys have. Most of you weren't that impressed. If you're in that camp, count yourself lucky. Now you'll never agonize over whether it's worth what someone on tinbids is asking.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
C: Squadron Leader (2014)

To me this is one of several blends I think of as “perfect hot-dog” Latakia blends. By that I mean everything is completely in proportion. The virginias are the bun. The orientals are the meat. The latakia is the mustard and relish. Everything works. Every one thing is distinct but adds something to the sum of the whole. There is harmony and interplay. Remove one thing and it wouldn't be as good. Triple any one thing and it wouldn't be as good. Ok, sure there are people who might prefer it that way and that's OK for them. But there's a reason a classic is a classic. In this class my own personal preference is for it's sibling, Skiff Mixture which has more going on with the oriental leaf. But I decided to include Squadron Leader instead because it's also quite great and also seems to be more beloved by the general populace.

Why is it here? Like I said, it's a classic. I fully expected this one to come out on top. And it did for a good number of people. I don't think anyone rated it at the bottom. The tins are pretty hard to find, but it seems like you can usually find it in bulk somewhere. Rejoice!