12 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Finally made it to the F- bag. (It was SUPER difficult to restrain myself from using that expression for blend D 😜)
I’d say this is the most Lat-forward blend of the group. Lots of smoky campfire goodness. Getting a nice woodsy, cedar-y, almost charcoal like essence. Probably my second favorite overall, even though I’m having a bit of a time keeping it lit.

Little sad to see this end. I had a lot of fun with it. Thank you, thank you, Butter Side Down for doing this. Hopefully you get things dried out soon. Looking forward to when the blends are revealed!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Ok. I’m smoking A right now, and if this is any indication as to how this is going to go, then I’m in for a treat.

This one smelled sweet right out of the bag. Dried figs and dark fruit. Just a hint a smoke, but not much. Maybe some vanilla or spice.

The smoke itself comes across to me as an English/Aromatic. Definitely sweeter than my usual English blends. So it either has a light topping, or just a decent amount of age but I’m leaning towards the topping. But it could very well be both.

Retrohale has some tingle to it, but I can’t pinpoint if it’s from Perique or it’s just my sinuses after taking a break.

Body is mouth-coating. Which again leads me to believe that there is a light topping. The lingering flavor is also sweet and more vanilla-ish.

I think I have a guess as to what this is but only because I smoked a blend that was very similar a little while back.

Regardless, a fine blend to smoke while my ribs sit in the smoker.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
On to Sample B.

I’m pretty sure I know what this is right off the bat. But I’ve been wrong before (just ask my wife).

More Latakia in this one, but it is much more nuanced. The smell in the bag is more woodsy, leather and more BBQ fire rather than campfire.

Since I’ve read some comments and I know that it contains Syrian Latakia, I think my guess on this one is pretty safe.

If I’m correct, I have a decent amount of this one in my cellar.

And if I’m wrong, this is an amazing smoke that I can’t wait to find out what it is.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I'm really into the tin-note, erm "bag-note," of Sample D. A piney wood smoke with an exciting stink like smoked meat. I expected to light up and get hit with a wave of that robust and resinous funk, but quite the opposite. I instantly got a sweet flavor that's fruity like cherries and herbal like sweet grass. This same flavor appeared in Sample C on and off and is something I've experienced a few times in other latakia blends. My uneducated guess is it's a combination of Virginia tobaccos (or maybe one of the other sweeter oriental leaves?) and Cyprian latakia. Every time this flavor comes up, it reminds me of the cherry cough drops I had as a kid. So that's what I call it. "Oh, this one has the cherry cough drop flavor," I say to no one as I smoke alone on my porch in 100 degree weather.

Anyway, Sample D has that cherry cough drop with more strength and more consistency than any tobacco I've tasted before. This was the dominant note throughout, so I'm really curious about the components of this one.

I'm guessing this blend has a hefty virginia component with all that sweetness. To that case, this one seemed a little more bitey than the others, as well. Perhaps I was just smoking it too hot as I also missed out on the "floral" qualitites other smokers reported. Actually, I found the earlier blends in the sequence to have a cool floral note, where this one didn't. The generous sample still has a bit of leaf left, so I'll enjoy revisiting this one and comparing notes once more.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
My D:

Ribbon cut. No fruit or discernible topping in the in the bag note, which is smokey. The leaves were dry to the point of crispiness. I re-hydrated it in a ramekin draped with a wet paper napkin for an evening and then removed the napkin and sealed the ramekin with saran wrap overnight. There was a slight bitterness at light-up that increased at the end of the bowl. Light hint of floral incense. The latakia is subdued and likely well aged, a pattern in all samples so far. Smooth, no harshness or bite. Light hints of caramel, vanilla, and cinnamon on the retrohale. Light hints of higher complexity.

My E:

Shag cut with no apparent topping. Smokey bag note. The most appealing of the samples so far for my tastes. Smooth without bite. Light hint of caramel. Latakia is subdued again with a medium-light degree of smokiness. Medium complexity. No bitterness, nice mouth feel and pleasant on the retrohale.

Last edited:

Mortamyhr

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
I hope you are out of the woods with your basement debacle! We have a foundation issue, so when it rains we have a bit of water on the concrete. But I can’t imagine 6 inches!

Thank you again for your generosity and organization of this cool experiment/experience. I have had a substantial amount of fun with it and everyone involved! Here are my final 2 sample thoughts. These are short and to the point.

Sample E

I was getting a mens cologne taste, maybe sandalwood or similar taste profile. Long lingering aftertaste. Enjoyable, but not an everyday smoke.

Sample F

Very nice. Smooth, easy smoke. This one reminds me of something, but the cut is wrong. I definitely notice the higher Latakia percentage. Very curious about this one.

Order of preference based on one bowl:

C

D/F

E/B

A

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
One of my younger friends, when he took up the pipe a few months ago, immediately gravitated toward Latakia blends, so I'm very much looking forward to pointing him toward any of these blends that are in production.

And of course I must join the chorus of gratitude to one Better Side Down for organizing this and sharing of his cellar, even if his choice in buttering is objectively wrong and will result in the destruction of all civilization.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I know I’m a little behind. Life, the holiday, & the crazy heat have been interfering with the time I’d like to dedicate to this project. I got into C & D tonight & here’s what I took away from them.
C: Fairly dry out of the pouch. Lots of tobacco flavor up front. It seems like the Lat is playing second fiddle in this blend. Some nice spice in there as well. Good, creamy clouds of smoke. It burns cool despite the lack of moisture.

The Latikia has a better presence in the second half of the bowl. There’s a bit of fruit coming out as well. A touch of honey. Finishes up with a taste of leather. A very complex & enjoyable blend.

D: Nice aroma out of the pouch. Kinda deceiving as it smells like it’s got some funk but it smokes very light. Light smokiness with some citrus & floral flavors. Orange & honeysuckle to get specific.

As it the bowl burns down the funk starts to appear. I’m getting less florals & more rich smoke, pepper, & leather. Very smooth & full without overloading it. This ticks all the boxes, for me. My favorite so far.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I know I’m a little behind. Life, the holiday, & the crazy heat have been interfering with the time I’d like to dedicate to this project. I got into C & D tonight & here’s what I took away from them.
C: Fairly dry out of the pouch. Lots of tobacco flavor up front. It seems like the Lat is playing second fiddle in this blend. Some nice spice in there as well. Good, creamy clouds of smoke. It burns cool despite the lack of moisture.

The Latikia has a better presence in the second half of the bowl. There’s a bit of fruit coming out as well. A touch of honey. Finishes up with a taste of leather. A very complex & enjoyable blend.

D: Nice aroma out of the pouch. Kinda deceiving as it smells like it’s got some funk but it smokes very light. Light smokiness with some citrus & floral flavors. Orange & honeysuckle to get specific.

As it the bowl burns down the funk starts to appear. I’m getting less florals & more rich smoke, pepper, & leather. Very smooth & full without overloading it. This ticks all the boxes, for me. My favorite so far.
Sample D was my favorite as well. Nice reviews!

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Sample D was my favorite as well. Nice reviews!
Thanks. If nothing else this has taught me to take some time with what I’m smoking. Just slowing down & actually focusing on what I’m tasting. Trying to pick out individual flavors & seeing what each blend has to offer.
Also, I said it was my favorite so far🤣🤣. I’ve still got 2 to go. It’s gonna be hard to top it tho. I’m just worried that after the big reveal it’s going to be a blend that’s no longer available.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
E: Big smoke aroma in the pouch & lots of dark leaves. Heavy Lat flavor with some lighter spices in the background. Some incense or floral notes. Pretty decent nic hit or maybe it’s just me(it’s my first pipe of the day). I’m not getting much besides what I’ve already mentioned. Not complaining, the Latakia is very pleasant & good quality leaf, it’s just a one man show.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Here's my full report of all the blends including edited versions of what I had previously posted:

A: Ribbon cut. Sweet fruity wine note. Nice smoke. Topped with a sweet maybe fruit flavor. Very smooth, no harshness or bite, perhaps due to a cavendish component. Latakia is not dominant and on the light side; it gets lighter as the bowl progresses. The topping dominates but is pleasant.

B: Ribbon cut. Light stink. Light sweet bag note. No discernible toppings. Lots of brown leaf and less dark latakia. Slight acrid bitterness that increases as the smoke progresses. Sweetish. No bite. Not much latakia, maybe less than A, not much BBQ smokiness. Light hints of caramel and vanilla on the retrohale. Relatively simple. I thought I had been narrowed this to a couple of possibilities but after Butter Side Down's disclosure that it contained Syrian latakia, I realized I was completely wrong. I've had 5 blends with Syrian latakia and B is like none of them as best as I can remember).

C: Ribbon cut. Fruity, smoky bag note. Possible alcohol topping. Smoke hints of burnt caramel and licorice. Smooth, albeit with slight numbing of the tongue. Hint of floral (not topping). No bitter. Medium complexity.

D: Ribbon cut. No fruit or discernible topping in the in the bag note, which is smokey. The leaves were dry to the point of crispiness. I re-hydrated it in a ramekin draped with a wet paper napkin for an evening and then removed the napkin and sealed the ramekin with saran wrap overnight. There was a slight bitterness at light-up that increased at the end of the bowl. Light hint of floral incense. The latakia is subdued and likely well aged, a pattern in all samples so far. Smooth, no harshness or bite. Light hints of caramel, vanilla, and cinnamon on the retrohale. Light hints of higher complexity.

E: Shag cut with no apparent topping. Smokey bag note. The most appealing of the samples so far for my tastes. Smooth without bite. Light hint of caramel. Latakia is subdued and possibly well aged again with a medium-light degree of smokiness. Medium complexity. No bitter, nice mouth feel and pleasant on the retrohale. There aren't many shag cut latakia mixtures but I've not had them all, so I'm not exactly sure which specific blend this is. I don't think it's among those that I've previously smoked.

F: Broken Flake. Very fruity note. Possibly topped. This is delicious. It tastes of sweet smokey licorice (though I cannot tell if it's from a topping or inherent in a particular leaf). Hints of dried stone fruit and floral. Light hint of cinnamon. Well balanced but changes before the quarter to a lighter less smokey flavor where the licorice/anise predominates. This is my favorite of the lot. Like shag cut latakia blends, there aren't many latakia blends that are true flakes or broken true flakes (as opposed to crumble cakes that may or may not be advertised as flakes), so the possibilities are limited, although I'm again not exactly sure what this one is.

My preference, in descending order: F, E, A/D, C, and B.

My profuse thanks to Butter Side Down for his tremendous generosity and energy to arrange for this tasting. I can't wait to find out what the blends are.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
F: Strong barnyard & smoke aromas out of the pouch. Incense & cloves on the first puff. Very moist, might should’ve let it dry a bit.

Some mild spices, nutmeg & anise(licorice). A good amount of thick smoke, even with gentle sipping. A very cool burning smoke. Some subtle sweetness in there, butterscotch & toffee. The blend is very complex but makes you work to find the supporting cast. (Or maybe my palate has trouble finding them.) It’s not that the Latakia is that overpowering either. It’s very well balanced. So well balanced that no one flavor stands out, but is in harmony with everything else.

So my favorites in order are: D, F, A, C, E, B.

Thank you for including me in this fun experiment. I might see if anyone in my pipe club would be interested in doing something like this. It is truly generous of Butterside to open up his cellar & send these out at his own expense. It’s been a great learning experience for me & I can’t wait to be let down when he tells us that all the most popular blends have been discontinued 🤣🤣

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So I'm trying to play "catch-up" with this tasting as I'm coming off nearly 2 weeks of altered tastes from some "symptoms" I temporarily had. I tried rehabilitating my palate first by going back to simple blends and flavors that were earlier in my trajectory in order to try and regain what I'd lost; hoping that some of the old "memories" would actually help with the physical palate...

A) All I could taste at this point seemed to be Burley... (I had Burley the night before) with some Latakia and a wisp of Oriental.
B) This was a little more pleasant to my recently ravaged palate and most unique was some sort of "menthol" type of effect. I liked it and hope that it's some old Oriental and not a chemical additive.
C) Unfortunately I found this to be almost monochromatic (no rough edges because I couldn't find any edges) with only a bit of butteriness to offset the singularity I was getting. General taste of VA, Lat & Oriental.

Hoping to try D tonight.

And I promise that when I signed up for this my palate was normal :LOL:

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Finally getting to C tonight.

Leather, earth and spice in the bag. Something very familiar about this one.

Moisture was perfect for me and it was a rough ribbon.

The flavor is very familiar but I can’t narrow it down. Very creamy with just a bit of smokiness. The Lat is very well integrated and subdued. I’m inclined to think this might have a little age on it. I also get some warm baking spices and a little cocoa. Maybe some Orientals and air-cured leaf?

There is some definite sweetness but it is well balanced. More brown sugar/molasses than straight sugar or honey.

I’m inclined to think there is some Perique in this as well as there is some figgy/raisiny flavor developing as the bowl progresses. The retrohale produces some tingling in the sinuses as well.

The Latakia almost disappears in flavor, but it still contributes to the creaminess of the smoke.

A very enjoyable smoke and is something I could smoke repeatedly.

I don’t have a guess, so I’m very anxious to find out what this is. Hopefully still in production.

Very nice!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Okay. After a break with a bowl of Low Country Edisto Flake (very good straight Va), I’ve moved on to Sample D.

Smoke, leather, woodsy and earth with a touch of dark fruit in the bag. This one smells the most like an old fashioned English Blend to me out of the samples so far.

The cut was very chunky like a rubbed out flake and it is the driest of the samples so far.

The taste is also the most Latakia-forward of the four samples. The smoked leaf makes itself known right off the bat with some resinous notes. Not quite creosote flavors, but still very dark and piney.

There is some backbone of sweetness to balance it out, but it is way in the background and is only there to keep the Lat in check.

I think there is a good deal of Oriental leaf in this one as well as I get a lot of the typical sour/musty notes and they sometimes compete with the Smokey leaf.

I don’t think I’ve smoked this one before, but I could be wrong.

This blend would be perfect by an Autumn campfire with a nice peaty Scotch. This would not be an all day smoke for me and would probably be the nightcap for the evening for me. (No, I don’t think this is Nightcap).

I don’t have a guess, but it is a good blend.