Drucquers Banner

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I guess that's me.

Reasons for not starting are:
Can't really afford it.
All my family are non smokers and I don't want to disappoint them.
Don't want my own children to start.
Little time to myself.
I'm in good health, not sure I want to risk that.

I know there are valid counter arguements to each of the above, many of which I am aware of.

I think I like to research things to the nth degree before making a decision.

Eg I spent ages looking at fountain pens before buying a Jinhao X750 for £2.
You can still collect pipes and tobaccos just don't inhale ;)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
My dad was smoker when in the Navy but the day he got out of the service he quit cold turkey and never looked back. As for pipe smokers I know a couple who quit claiming "doctors orders".

• Haha
Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I could use the empty pipe as a fashion accessory, and to point at people when I want to make a point.
And could use an aromatic as a substitute for pot pourri. ?

I think we are going off topic. My fault.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I guess that's me.

Can't really afford it.
Little time to myself.

I know there are valid counter arguements to each of the above, many of which I am aware of.

Hello, so did you join this forum before pipe smoking, with the intention of research before committing to the hobby? Fascinating! And welcome.

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Hello, so did you join this forum before pipe smoking, with the intention of research before committing to the hobby? Fascinating! And welcome.
I have never had a puff of anything ever.

It's the sort of traditional hobby that appeals to me but at the moment actually starting is a step too far for me.

I feel a bit of an imposter being here on this site but everyone has been very welcoming.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I have never had a puff of anything ever.

It's the sort of traditional hobby that appeals to me but at the moment actually starting is a step too far for me.

I feel a bit of an imposter being here on this site but everyone has been very welcoming.
By all means welcome aboard!
Just discussing pipes and tobacco can be pretty interesting.

In grad school a 2 oz packet of bulk, a box of matches and a some pipe cleaners would last me an entire month.
After I got a Setter and got into the habit of puffing on our daily walks did my tobacco budget become, well, substantial.

Reactions: timelord

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No one at my work places was ever aware of me smoking at all, since I didn't smoke at work. Although, when my tax preparer asked me if I smoked, and I told her I smoked a pipe, she gave me a big grin and said, "Of course!"

Same way I've known people for decades who never became aware that I was a Vietnam Veteran. I guess I look decidedly unmilitary, though I did pretty well aboard ship and on shore duties. When some find out, they look incredulous, or as if they think I'm joking. Apparently there is some stereotype of that that I don't fit. Boy, we were a wildly variegated bunch of volunteers. Every ethnicity, educational level, home region, and personality. We should have all been given degrees in sociology or psychological counseling.
people often think I served. So in other words people are slightly dim.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Yup, a couple of skeet shooting friends have quit pipes, and switched over to cigars. I guess that's not really quitting though is it?

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I took a 2 year leave from pipe smoking when I got heavy into cigars. I picked it back up after I was smoking 3 cigars a day and it was getting crazy expensive. It was shortly after mcclellan's closed up shop and I was heartbroken that I couldn't get my $9 tin of frog Morton and other delicious blends anymore ?. I remember a buddy of mine saying he had tried frog Morton original and not liked it. He let it sit around and dry out and just threw it away and it made me want to slap him LOL

• Haha
Reactions: timelord

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I started pipe smoking in the late '70s and continued until I was assigned to my first submarine in the Navy. I gave it up as there was really no place to sit and enjoy a bowl or any time. Later in my Navy career, I'd have a cigar on the bridge, though these opportunities were few and far between. After I retired I continued smoking cigars, however that got really expensive relative to the enjoyment I was feeling. I re-discovered pipes ~2014 using some of the pipes I had saved from the '70s.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I guess that's me.

Can't really afford it.
Little time to myself.

I agree with your reasons. They are valid and easily supported.

There are other things I do which involve risk. For me, with tobacco, I would not want to toy around and get addicted, but that will probably not occur with one or two smokes per week.