PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, kapster. I've bought a pipe or two from him. The chamber is okay and the pipes are otherwise clean. That's about all he does. You get what you expect from him.
That's an 8769. It's just a Drinkless. The plain grain shows that too. So being an 87, it shouldn't be a big deal. I guess it's the push stem. But I've had and sold a number of push stems. They aren't terribly rare and don't usually pull big money. Maybe Kaywoodies are reaching a tipping point in popularity. Guys like us have been talking them up on pipe forums for years.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
xrundog, I am glad to hear from someone who has actually purchased from him. I may give him a shot when he puts up something I really want to buy (but not as long as he is fetching prices well above market).
I think kapster hit on the right title wording to move push stem pipes at high prices. His strategy is on shaky ethical grounds as there is no solid basis for claiming all push stem, four digit pipes are wartime production. I have a push stem Kaywoodie Flame Grain Meerschaum (09B shape) that is not an export model. Does that fit into a wartime production story? I could spin that yarn, but I would not feel comfortable doing so.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
By the way, my push stem, four digit Super Grain is a much nicer pipe than that pot. I felt that the $50 I paid for it was probably a little too much, but I liked the classic shape and very good condition.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bought an Ashton from Kapster. It appeared to have a replacement tenon not disclosed (but very well done). I really loved the pipe (still do) and sent that info/picture to Kapster. He was very forthright and had no idea but immediately gave me a very generous discount on the pipe or a full refund. I accepted the discount and we had some good dialogue. He does seem to have some very interesting pieces. I'm not sure who does his clean-up, but recall it was someone else.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think the majority of push stem Kaywoodies are WWII pipes. But I still feel (based on nothing) that pipers could get a special order push stem. I once had a push stem 5105 with an inner tube. Plainly not a WWII pipe.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, Thanks for adding more information about kapster. A reputation for good customer service is an important factor in my bidding decisions.
xrundog, I have also heard that push stem Kaywoodies could be had in pretty much all time periods. I have an odd Relief Grain with a push stem, circular logo on the side of the stem, and a "U" stamp on the underside of the bowl. Dating that pipe is very tricky, because of the "U" and because I have seen a catalog portrayal of an early Relief Grain with the stem logo on the side.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I just got these two in the mail today. They need some work. One is an early flame grain and the otjer is a silloette. Both are 4 hole stingers and I think they are both early 40s

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
gambit, They look like they could be diamonds in the rough. Please post the "after" pictures when you get them finished.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks! I was laid off a few months back so I started restoring pipes to keep me busy between applications. I can normally turn a pipe around pretty quick. Some I keep others I sell to keep getting more projects. Tomorrow I hope to buy a buffer so I can polish my pipes better.
Anyway here's one that came in the mail today. A kaywoodie filter pipe. Great condition. This thing is just killer.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks! Here's three more that came with the filter pipe. Top is a carburetor, middle is a standard, and bottom is a super grain. They all need to be cleaned still. You guys wouldn't happen to know the time frame they used the black clover would you? I'm guessing 40s and 50s but not too sure on that.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I see a 4 digit with a push style tenon (no stinger) hit the bay over the weekend. Looks like a pretty decent little apple. Keeping a watch on it.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I REALLY HATE THIS THREAD. Can we let this thread die so people will go back to forgetting about these cheap drug store pipes? I don't like paying over $30 for a Kaywoodie.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I REALLY HATE THIS THREAD. Can we let this thread die so people will go back to forgetting about these cheap drug store pipes? I don't like paying over $30 for a Kaywoodie.
Hah! No way! And Kaywoodie was only reduced to a cheap drugstore pipe later on. Originally it was a high grade pipe made from some of the finest Grecian and Algerian briar obtainable. They made the world's top selling pipes. But I get your point. If collectors ever figure out what these older pipes actually are the prices would increase greatly.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Obviously my attempt at sarcasm was not adequately conveyed. Beautiful wood, flame grains, connoisseurs etc. Thankfully they have stingers which enough people do not like. Otherwise they would be more. I REALLY hate this thread though. The less people that are interested in them the better. Best $20-30 pipe you can get your hands on.
I traded off a bunch for a Upshall a while back from a forum member but have since replaced them with 7 more all flame grains and a connoisseur and all stupid cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.