PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I watched it, but it went way out beyond what I was willing to pay. As with Sasieni stinger pipes, I have a hard time bringing myself to buy a stinger pipe that cannot be disassembled while warm.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, the old Shellcraft pipes aren't often seen. Much less a meer lined one. Pretty good price for that pipe even so. But I've been through my meer lined phase. Plus, the seller and I differ over the definition of "mint condition".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was surprised this one didn't do better than $100. It was advertised as unsmoked, but from the pictures, I think it has been smoked (I returned an "unsmoked" Comoys to this seller). The seller didn't describe the stinger, I advised him to ID it with a photo. He responded and added a pix of the 4 hole stinger.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KAYWOODIE-MANDARIN-LONG-STEM-BAMBOO-TOBACCO-PIPE-/291435153970?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
828607469_o.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Plus, the seller and I differ over the definition of "mint condition"
Yes, the cracks in the liner make the pipe rather less than "mint", and were a problem for me.
ssjones, Perhaps the bamboo shank is too much an acquired taste, or am I way off the mark?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I did not know that English Kaywoodie production copied Dr. Grabow's "Pre-Smoked" pipes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251941596178?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Buroak, I'm not sure what you're meaning here but Tom D.( former President of Sparta pipes) has said that there was a lot of copying going on not only between Grabow and KW but others as well. Shapes,systems and finishes were all copied.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ejames, I was intending to be sarcastic, but the inflection did not carry through the keyboard. This pipe appears to be a used pipe rather than new old stock. The seller is one of the usual suspects.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I just purchased a new Kaywoodie Drinkless from Pipesandcigars.com, It had arrived today and to my surprise, this is not a Drinkless pipe. It does have the stamping on the side but it has a regular pull out bit. I immediately called customer service and told them that I received the wrong pipe. They said I wasn't the only one that had called to complain that they received the wrong pipe. She then went on to explain that they don't sell pipes like that anymore. I quoted what thier site says: Kaywoodie Drinkless Pipe does not contain a filter, but employs the well-known “drinkless screw-mounted attachment,” a special device designed to trap tars and flanks in the shank of the pipe, leading to a cooler, smoother, and sweeter smoke. I then said that they need to update their description because it is misleading. She then said that I will have to wait until one of the "guys" who knows about pipes to return from the pipe show in Chicago. I think I may be looking elsewhere for future purchases.

Sorry about the rant, but I had to vent! :(

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I picked up this Yello Bole Author shape at a PA flea market earlier this week. Push stem, logo on top, KBB logo and "Made with Real Honey" stamp indicate pre 1955 (I believe). I'll do a Reborn Pipe blog/thread on it, but here is the finished pipe.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I've been slacking. Heres the reamer. Tiny thing actually. Buroak is right. Its probably the best working reamer in my collection but it is pretty limited in its uses.

This pipe is a late 20s or early 30s kaywoodie. It is from the patent applied for era. Sadly the box isn't original to the pipe but its the right era. Has the original advertising too. It smokes good but the bowl gets real hot. Maybe its operator error.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dulgunz, Receiving a pipe that does not match the retailers description is always frustrating. The odd thing is that the S.M. Frank website still lists Drinkless Kaywoodie pipes with the stinger. Does yours have a stinger in the push tenon?
ssjones, Those old sandblast Yello Boles are great everyman pipes.
Did you strip the lacquer finish? I have started stripping the lacquer from some of my old Yello Boles, but one sandblast yielded an interesting finding. The pipe had a lot of some kind of filler covering some big flaws. The filler has the consistency of chewed gum that has been left stuck on the sidewalk for a while. I have been gradually scrubbing it away with Everclear and a soft toothbrush to reveal the natural surface.
By the way could we change the name of this thread to the KB&B and Kaywoodie Collector Thread? I have been thinking a broader subject range would be helpful, and your Yello Bole reminded me to ask about the change.
gambit88, I am glad the reamer is working out for you. It is a neat tool.
I am wondering about why your pipe is getting so hot. Are the bowl walls much thinner than those on your other pipes? If so, you may simply feel more heat than usual. My only Kaywoodie that gets really hot is a later-production Carburetor with a heavy lacquer finish.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I think it was operator error. Im smoking the same pipe now and its not nearly as hot. I think 5he tobacco was a bit too moist last time.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I think I read on the Kaywoodie forums that the Drinkless fitting isn't being used on new pipes anymore.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
gambit88, I am glad your pipe is now smoking better for you.
ssjones, Thanks for changing the title. This thread has come a long way, and I think we regular contributors will get even more mileage out of it with a bit broader scope.
xrundog, I am kind of surprised the Drinkless fitment carried past the 20th century. Its metamorphoses over the decades left it rather vestigial (at least based on my collection which pretty much stops with the early 1970s).

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Kapster13 had another good night on eBay. The upswing in prices for Kaywoodie Heritage pipes is surprising.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400912251331?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Status
Not open for further replies.