PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Adams. A great lawyer who bucked popular opinion by defending the British Troops charged in the Boston Massacre. He delivered one of the most famous closing arguments in American jurisprudence: "Facts are stubborn things". He was passionate about America and about the revolution and was both provocateur and the catalyst behind the Continental Congress and Jefferson himself. He had a long and passionate love story with his wife Abigail ("Remember the ladies"). While he and Jefferson were not close and became antagonistic with one another, they became reconciled in their old age and wrote to one another. Adams was much older. And so it was that one day Adams went to a parade. Coming home he began to fell ill and later that day he passed away. His final words: "Jefferson yet lives". However, Jefferson had passed early in the morning of the same day: July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day of the signing. One of the most extraordinary moments in American history.

Plus, as a Bostonian, Adams is our guy.

Jan 27, 2020
Adams. A great lawyer who bucked popular opinion by defending the British Troops charged in the Boston Massacre. He delivered one of the most famous closing arguments in American jurisprudence: "Facts are stubborn things". He was passionate about America and about the revolution and was both provocateur and the catalyst behind the Continental Congress and Jefferson himself. He had a long and passionate love story with his wife Abigail ("Remember the ladies"). While he and Jefferson were not close and became antagonistic with one another, they became reconciled in their old age and wrote to one another. Adams was much older. And so it was that one day Adams went to a parade. Coming home he began to fell ill and later that day he passed away. His final words: "Jefferson yet lives". However, Jefferson had passed early in the morning of the same day: July 4, 1826, 50 years to the day of the signing. One of the most extraordinary moments in American history.

Plus, as a Bostonian, Adams is our guy.

Well... I guess I wasted 6+ hours watching HBO's John Adams, I could of just read the summery of his life here and watched Gilmore Girls instead.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
it can be hard enough at 40 something understanding what the heck the kids are talking about. And we're both alive in the same time period. Multiply that by several and it just gets murkier and murkier.

I think if we can posit talking to the dead we can suspend disbelief over any communication barriers.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
this whole thread just shows what people don't do. Trust me that is the number two issue with talking to the dead the number one is they always give the same advice eat more sweets and do more drugs

That’s funny, all the dead Founding Fathers I’ve met seem obsessed with wanting to know if the frock coat they’re wearing makes their ass look fat.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe both have been written about too many times to enumerate. Their beliefs or lack there of are well documented and then dissected. I can't think of a subject worth discussing with either one. Well, if there is a hereafter and I can find a competent medium, I would their thoughts on the current state of the Republic. Thier perspective would be most entertaining.

Jan 27, 2020
I was just reading the Wikipedia page on Henry Knox. Another self made and interesting figure from that time. Amazing that he was more or less a self taught military strategist.

Reactions: romaso

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I pick Betty. No, Veronica. Wait a minute, I’m sure it’s Betty. What was the question?

• Haha
Reactions: scloyd