SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Both were flawed like we all are but hypocrisy aside and if perhaps only choosing based on some affinity you developed for one or another based solely perhaps from the vapors left by their personalities wafting through time, smudged under the pens of historians, which would you prefer to spend an afternoon at Starbucks with?

edit: this question arose in my mind during and after watching the excellent John Adams miniseries on HBO.

Last edited:
Reactions: autococker07

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Both were flawed like we all are but hypocrisy aside and if perhaps only choosing based on some affinity you developed for one or another based solely perhaps from the vapors left by their personalities wafting through time, smudged under the pens of historians, which would you prefer to spend an afternoon at Starbucks with?

edit: this question arose in my mind during and after watching the excellent John Adams miniseries on HBO.
Jefferson, but not at Starbucks, I'd just offer him coffee at home..... I ain't spending 6 bucks on a dead President

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Well, considering he was 100k in debt when he died can you at least give him enough coin for a frappe and a cake pop?
Nah, if he can come back to life he can wash some dishes...... I would be happy to house him (if he doesn't stink from rot and will agree to daily showers) and feed him temporarily, but he ain't getting no fancy overpriced coffee out of me :ROFLMAO:

Geez, I wonder if Adams may be the less needy choice?

Jan 27, 2020
Nah, if he can come back to life he can wash some dishes...... I would be happy to house him (if he doesn't stink from rot and will agree to daily showers) and feed him temporarily, but he ain't getting no fancy overpriced coffee out of me :ROFLMAO:

Geez, I wonder if Adams may be the less needy choice?

Not so sure, Adams seemed to of suffered great insecurity over not being publicly appreciated while alive so you might spend the afternoon repeatedly telling him how great he is. It would kinda be like being married to him for a day.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Not so sure, Adams seemed to of suffered great insecurity over not being publicly appreciated while alive so you might spend the afternoon repeatedly telling him how great he is. It would kinda be like being married to him for a day.
On a serious note, its amazing that any of the founding fathers could doubt their contribution to our republic, yet it serves to remind us that they were, at their core, simply men.

Back on the funny train, I don't think my wife would be crazy about my one day marriage to a dead ex president.... but if he nagged me enough, she may acquiesce.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
On a serious note, its amazing that any of the founding fathers could doubt their contribution to our republic, yet it serves to remind us that they were, at their core, simply men.

Back on the funny train, I don't think my wife would be crazy about my one day marriage to a dead ex president.... but if he nagged me enough, she may acquiesce.

Yea, it is amazing, despite a person's contributions to [whatever] no matter how tangible or profound they might be it doesn't mean that their isn't a lingering insecurity behind the curtains.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Adams was pretty starchy, rather stiff. But Jefferson could be aloof. I guess I'd choose Jefferson, thinking that his breadth of interests might intersect some of my own. However, if I wanted financial advice, Adams would be my man.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Adams was pretty starchy, rather stiff. But Jefferson could be aloof. I guess I'd choose Jefferson, thinking that his breadth of interests might intersect some of my own.

Yes, this is my thinking as well. Jefferson is very much an enigma and while he might not say much whatever he did would likely be worth remembering.