Jim's Revised Wessex Campaign Dark Flake Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You know, it's possible if not highly likely, some smokers will like the new versions better. Like all blends change with age, and not necessarily for the better to everyone, every blend changes slightly crop to crop, year to year. That's the case even if the manufacturer doesn't make purposeful changes.
In the case of this blend, those who prefer a citrus flavor to dark fruit would likely prefer the new version.

Reactions: n_irwin

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The smell of the Capstan Blue tin continually comes back to haunt me. I love it. An addictive taste. I'm a noob so its a base for me. I have nothing old to compare it to. Now I must go and sniff the in.
In my newer search and tasting, I find that Newminster 400 & 4th Generation 2012 are really as good to my palate as Capstan Blue. I still have all 3 open right now to continue my "research". puffy

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I would just like to add with respect to the topic that is being expanded. Although I love Capstan Blue for example, it gives me some woody notes, something "excessive" This is the nuance that I do not like. I just wanted to expose this, since I have not had the fortune to try these same tobaccos, of other decades ago, and thus to be able to compare. I don't know if this really has to do with the chain of factors, quality, price, etc. In any case, once again, thanks for this excellent analysis, friend Jim and the rest of colleagues in this topic of conversation.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you think this is a conscious effort to change the blend or just some minor variances due to different tobacco crops and/or minor processing differences?
It has finally dawned on me what has happened to this blend and the two Astley's reviews that I have revised. Much or most of the dark red Va.s have been replaced by orange Virginia. I had to revise the revised reviews to reflect this. I should have realized this earlier, but I was way too fixated on the toppings. A mod will fix them on this site for me. I fixed them at TR. I may have been too slow to discover what the major change was, but at least I did... I say while kicking myself for being slow to realize it.

mickeyg

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
Oh boy, I have a couple tins from '09 in the cellar. Thanks for the reminder. Gonna take one out for a spin soon !

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Explains why I often get a meh sort of feeling on many "legendary" blends that I've been late to the party on (including this one).

Reactions: JimInks

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ahhh, I like the sounds of the original sweet and fruit.

So hard to find nice sweet fruity VAs, especially reds.

Oh I go cry now! LOL ?

Reactions: JimInks

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I fell in love with Brigade Campaign as soon as I smoked my first bowl. I don't know how but their version of red Virginia is totally different than a McClelland red. I never got a tingle and it was the same with Astleys no 44. If it wasn't jim saying the older versions had reds, I wouldn't believe it.
I bought the original Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture and the last time I tried it (6 months or so ago) the the stuff was like acid on my tongue so I know my affliction with reds is still with me.

I bought all of my Campaign and Astleys 44 in 2012-2013. I smoked a bowl of the new Astleys 44 as someone sent me a tin and I found it to be a tasty blend. I liked the perfectly shaped flakes as they are perfect for a fold and stuff in my group 4-5 sized pipes. I certainly would not kick it out of bed and I think age will make it even better.

I have not tried the new Campaign but I have seen pictures and it looks pretty much like the 44. The older Campaign wrap around flake can be a bit of a pain in the ass for folding and stuffing but after a while you get used to it. I believe the new Astleys I tasted is a quality blend that can stand on it's own merits.

I finally learned my lesson when it comes to finding something you really love and before it is gone or changed you might want to go real deep. Trying to predict how a blend is going to taste with ten years of age on it can be daunting. I loved Capstan Blue Flake when it came out in 2013. I didn't screw around, I bought a lot of it and I am damn glad I did. In my experience when I really like something from the get go, chances are very good I will like it even more with some age.

I don't know how they do it but Mac Baren doesn't seem to have these issues K&K products are always out of stock. Mac Baren keeps Capstan Blue and Gold in stock all the time. They keep Old Dark Fired in stock all the time. How are they able to do this when almost everyone else isn't even in the same league. I just checked on the Savinelli Doblone d"oro at Sp and I put 120 tins in my cart and it was accepted so no limits there. I am not buying any as I bought mine in 2018 when they had a great sale on it. The Doblone is a high quality blend that I believe is just going to get better with age. Maybe I will be wrong, but I don't think so.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I don't know how they do it but Mac Baren doesn't seem to have these issues K&K products are always out of stock. Mac Baren keeps Capstan Blue and Gold in stock all the time. They keep Old Dark Fired in stock all the time. How are they able to do this when almost everyone else isn't even in the same league. I just checked on the Savinelli Doblone d"oro at Sp and I put 120 tins in my cart and it was accepted so no limits there. I am not buying any as I bought mine in 2018 when they had a great sale on it. The Doblone is a high quality blend that I believe is just going to get better with age. Maybe I will be wrong, but I don't think so.
Thanks for the reviews as always Jim!

Don’t MacBaren keep a decade’s worth of leaf at hand? K&K is a much smaller operation actually - though in the Chris Gawith interview I remember he said his father implored him to keep three years’ worth of leaf at hand at all times. Regarding Doblone, I recall sablebrush writing it also got messed with recently though.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Thanks for the reviews as always Jim!

Don’t MacBaren keep a decade’s worth of leaf at hand? K&K is a much smaller operation actually - though in the Chris Gawith interview I remember he said his father implored him to keep three years’ worth of leaf at hand at all times. Regarding Doblone, I recall sablebrush writing it also got messed with recently though.

I remember this video from a while back and they do indeed stock up, in particular for their legendary blend old dark fired. They still have some of the harvest from 1974!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Jim, shout out and thanks. This is such a great service. When I started smoking I couldnt believe how sweet red virginia was to me (and still is). I have 80% of my cellar with red Va based tobacco just getting sweeter by the day. Changes like these could become expensive for someone in my shoes today, reading reviews of red Va tobaccos like I did to stock up on. Well done sir.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, shout out and thanks. This is such a great service. When I started smoking I couldnt believe how sweet red virginia was to me (and still is). I have 80% of my cellar with red Va based tobacco just getting sweeter by the day. Changes like these could become expensive for someone in my shoes today, reading reviews of red Va tobaccos like I did to stock up on. Well done sir.
Thanks, man. I'm happy to be help to you.