Jim's Revised Wessex Campaign Dark Flake Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The dark Virginias provide a lot of stewed sugary ripe dark fruit, earth, bread, wood, some tart and tangy citrus, vegetation, a little hay/grass, floralness, and a pinch of spice. There's a sugary topping that very mildly tones down the Virginias without detracting much from the them. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. It never bites or gets harsh, no matter how much you push it. Barely has any rough edges. Depending upon your preference, it may need a light dry time. Burns clean, cool and smooth at a reasonable rate for a broken flake. It's not complex, but it is very consistently sweet and that translates to the pleasantly, lightly lingering after taste. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. Needs a few more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant room note. An all day smoke with a little punch. Four stars out of four.

6-13-2022 Update. There are some differences in the blend besides the cut of the tobacco, which is now a regular flake cut. It’s just a little less fruity and a tad more sugary with less stewed fruitiness from the dark fruit. The tart and tangy citrus is a little more obvious than before as this aspect now lead the fruit factor. Even thought it’s not visually apparent, the amount of red Virginia was cut with a lot of orange Virginia, which accounts for much of the decrease in dark fruit and increase in citrus in addition to a little more grass, bread, floralness, light acidity. So does the mild increase in the topping. The grassiness rates a couple of notches higher than the earth and wood now. There’s a small lemon note not previously present. The nic-hit is more potent, and is a step below the strength level, which is still medium. The taste is now a slot stronger than that. The rest of the previous comments from the earlier production still apply. I rate this as a three star blend, barely. My ratings reflect what this currently is.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you think this is a conscious effort to change the blend or just some minor variances due to different tobacco crops and/or minor processing differences?
I honestly don't know, but we do know crop changes affect blends. But, considering how several Wessex blends were intentionally changed, I can't discount that possibility. Crop changes may well be part of the reason, but it wouldn't account for the other blends. Anybody's guesses are as good as mine.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Damn Jim you're shooting down my whole recent order! Picked up Campaign for the first time in the latest SP.C restock along with Astley's No. 44. Here's hoping McConnell's Scottish Cake lives up to it's promises at least! For both Campaign and No. 44 do you think it's worth just leaving them to age or should I bite the bullet and pop them to give them their fair day in court?

Either way, great review. They're always very appreciated.

Reactions: JimInks

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Damn Jim you're shooting down my whole recent order! Picked up Campaign for the first time in the latest SP.C restock along with Astley's No. 44. Here's hoping McConnell's Scottish Cake lives up to it's promises at least! For both Campaign and No. 44 do you think it's worth just leaving them to age or should I bite the bullet and pop them to give them their fair day in court?

i haven’t tried the old stuff, but I enjoyed my first try of the new stuff. I say, give it a try.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
i haven’t tried the old stuff, but I enjoyed my first try of the new stuff. I say, give it a try.
And this is a major point. For those of us who have smoked a particular blend for years and have expectations of that blend, changes will likely not be welcomed.

People newly encountering the same changed blend will decide its merits without the interference of past experience.

The blends we imprinted on over the decades may very well have been thought of as crap versions by an earlier generation of pipe smokers.

I’m happy with my crap versions and I hope that new and future smokers will be happy with their crap versions.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Give them a try. If you're happy, smoke'em up. If not, jar the rest and give them some time.

Btw, I'm not saying in my reviews that the changes made to Astley's No. 44 and WCDF make them bad blends. I'm just reporting the differences because buyers who know the old versions should know the current status of these blends so they can make more informed decisions.

I don't think the new versions are bad at all, but they are different, and I don't believe the quality of them match up to the old productions. I still gave them three stars, which means "recommended" at TR. I don't "highly" recommend them, because they are no longer four star blends in the top tier of blends in that genre in comparison to other four star dark Virginia products. But, three stars doesn't mean that they are now bad blends.