Jim's C&D Eight State Burley 2022 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
T

There is no order in which they are shipped especially considering the ones that went through distribution to other resellers. On one of the Sun Bear releases I ordered 7 tins from one place (not SP) and the tins I received were about a 4500 number span.
True. Mine weren't consecutive, but they were only 24 serial numbers apart.

Reactions: ofafeather

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I was very disappointed with last year's release - it had a heavier topping than I was expecting that drowned out what seemed like great tobacco. Needless to say, I passed on this (and any future) year's release.
For this year’s release, I believe in one of the smokingpipes tasting videos, Reeves said that many of what people attribute to casing is just the orientals at play. He then says it’s lightly cased with sugar, molasses, and rum.

It’s small batch as there are only 10,000 tins from what I recall.
As I said..."what do I know". 10,000 seems like a lot. I wonder how many Folklores they released..they were gone mighty quick! Seriously, this has gotten great reviews from the amazing @JimInks and others so it surprises me it is still available so broadly but I am a newby and my ignorance shows often :)

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
For this year’s release, I believe in one of the smokingpipes tasting videos, Reeves said that many of what people attribute to casing is just the orientals at play. He then says it’s lightly cased with sugar, molasses, and rum.
Could be, I suppose. I smoke a lot of Oriental-laden blends, though, and I thought 8 State had some sort of OTC vanilla in it. I've not experienced it in any other Oriental blends, so had assumed it was a topping on the Burley. Who the hell knows? I'll (eventually) finish the tin I have open and then figure out what I'm doing with the 4 or 5 others I saved back.

Reactions: Akoni808

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
Jim, thanks for another great review!

It's definitely worth picking up at least a few tins, if only to try a spin on Burley. I found it to be most enjoyable in a nice pot shape.
I'll have to try it in a pot shape, as well as few different shapes. My initial couple bowls were unimpressive in a poker style, but perhaps in some different shapes will help!

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Now into my second bowl of ESB, having smoked both in cobs. The first bowl was in a smaller cob, and I was not overly impressed. It was a pretty standard burley experience and slightly bitey.
This second bowl, however, is great! The cob I'm using today is larger, deeper and more heavily smoked. Perhaps I packed it better in a larger pipe, or perhaps the tobacco is better after the tin has been opened fora day.
For whatever reason, I am now getting the fruity nuances from this blend with no hint of a bite.
I can now recommend ESB, and suggest that a larger pipe be used, not necessarily a wider one.