Jim's C&D Eight State Burley 2022 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This will be on sale March 23.

This is an updated review of last year’s ESB after having done several direct comparisons between the two blends. The year 2014 white and dark burleys provide a lot of earth, wood, nuts, mild creamy cocoa, and a sharp, dry sourness along with hints of sugar and molasses. They are the lead components. The aspects of the seventeen year old Sokhoum, Samsun and Katerini are earth, wood, herbs, floralness, spice, zesty tart sweetness, vegetation, and a mild smoky quality. They are moderately sweet, and mildly sour. They are just below being supporting players. The 2019 Canadian bright Virginia offers a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, some sugar, vegetation, floralness, tart lemon, spice, and a hint of acidity as a supporting player. It competes with the Orientals for attention. The red Virginias produce a fair amount of tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, light sugar, tart citrus, and a pinch of spice. They are a notch above being a condiment. The red Va.s add to the overall sweetness as they help mute some of the sourness from the white burley and Orientals. The casings on the burleys include a variety of flavors (honey, a drop or two of vanilla, cocoa, etc.) that very mildly tone down the tobaccos. The blend itself is not topped. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste is a rung past medium. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, and has a few very small rough edges. Well balanced and complex, it burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a rich nutty, woody, sweet, mildly floral, sour, spicy, smoky flavor. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, moderately lingering after taste, and room note. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and repeatable for the less experienced. Four stars.

This year’s version is fairly similar to last year’s though there are a few small differences. The white burley is a year older, and the Canadian bright is is two years younger than the 2021 ESB. The Canadian bright is a notch more obvious here, making the tart and tangy citrus and floral notes slightly more noticeable. The white burley is lightly more sharp and sour. Because the tobaccos stand out a touch more, this production is a tad smokier, floral, and punchier. The casing of the burleys is exactly the same as before. I rated last year’s taste level as medium. This is about half a rung fuller. The same goes for the room note.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I had a hand in Simply Orange, and have been smoking it for months. It was originally made for a small, private club with the understanding that Ernie would later make it a regular release to the general public. I'll release a review when the time comes.

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Nice review there Mr. Jimmy. Now not being a fan of Burley, I have to decide if I want to get some for the future when my tastes change, if ever. Something for me to ponder, Now Simply Orange is another matter!

I did that with the first release. I am not a big fan of Burley, but i liked it enough fresh, that I bought for the possible aging benefits. Worse comes to worse, a resell will be in order

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I was very disappointed with last year's release - it had a heavier topping than I was expecting that drowned out what seemed like great tobacco. Needless to say, I passed on this (and any future) year's release.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Jun 23, 2019
Still plenty around it seems. Was thinking I slept through it again, but was able to get some with that 4th gen Va thing.

While they called it a Small Batch again, I don't remember ever reading that this release was "limited" in that way. No total tin numbers etc.

A lot of blends have daily limits online but don't sell out all that quickly.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Thanks for the review Jim. Do you think the sharpness in this year's blend over last year can be attributed to the time last year's blend has had to rest?

Reactions: JimInks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is there any explanation for the name of the blend? Maybe it is made up of tobaccos from eight different states? It sounds good, but I am reluctant to chase blends. It's sort of anti-pipe-smoking to chase purchases. But if I get a chance, I'd like to try it.