Jim's C&D Eight State Burley 2022 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I ordered two tins. It's burley. jiminks gives it four stars. What could I do? Oh, and I didn't have to stay up all night to order it in time. At the rate I usually travel, I'll probably pop the first tin in two or three years, so don't wait for my opinion, but the review makes it sound really good.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Once I was snared by the new Peterson Iora clicking 2 tins was almost an afterthought, lol, but . . . I only was intrigued by this because (1) I've never had a bad steer from @JimInks, and (2) Burley keeps popping up on my radar as an ingredient common to blends I enjoy.

(Which reminds me, I need to call John Brandt in a few minutes)!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
While they called it a Small Batch again, I don't remember ever reading that this release was "limited" in that way. No total tin numbers etc.

A lot of blends have daily limits online but don't sell out all that quickly.
It's certainly not an "unlimited" release since the crop components for this batch are finite. However, I wonder if they have removed the tin numbers and are withholding batch size information this time as a test to see if it helps to cut down on overall hysteria and hoarding.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ll throw in 2 cents. Tin numbers add nontrivial cost to the labels, and are really just marketing. They help make it feel like a limited run. But I think people are now used to these “small batch” type runs, and that no such convincing is needed. So it’s just unnecessary marketing budget.

I have never met a marketing person who would ever do something they thought would cut down on hysteria or hoarding, as these are both signs of a successful campaign.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Once I was snared by the new Peterson Iora clicking 2 tins was almost an afterthought, lol, but . . . I only was intrigued by this because (1) I've never had a bad steer from @JimInks, and (2) Burley keeps popping up on my radar as an ingredient common to blends I enjoy.

(Which reminds me, I need to call John Brandt in a few minutes)!
Yeah, the squirrel got me today. Damn it, Jim! KYm.gif002-029-75793_1.7869.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Between the jiminks review and the description of the blend offered at the SP site, this sounds like one of the most complex blends I will have ever smoked. It sounds like at least six varieties of leaf, one of them aged 17 years. Now I feel obligated to age it to get the full experience. Luckily I have some D&R Two Timer and Ohm Red burley and turkish around to keep my feet on the ground. Along with about 15 other blends open and in rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I notice Eight States is still on sale, so there wasn't a run on the blender. They still have a ten tin limit per day, which I think is just a sales pitch. I'm guessing the supply will be around for another few months, at least. Maybe my buying two tins jinxed the blend-rush. (That's like a land-rush you know.)

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I notice Eight States is still on sale, so there wasn't a run on the blender. They still have a ten tin limit per day, which I think is just a sales pitch. I'm guessing the supply will be around for another few months, at least. Maybe my buying two tins jinxed the blend-rush. (That's like a land-rush you know.)
I ordered my two tins just short of 48 hours after it was released. I thought "it's now or never if I pull the trigger". When they arrived, the numbers 6945 and 6969 (not kidding) ... out of 10,000 tins minted. Well, I thought for sure it would be gone if they'd gone through nearly 70% of the stock by the end of the two days. I guess not, for I wrongly assumed that they were distributing and shipping out in order, from #1 to #10,000.

So, I guess there aren't 2,000-5,000 pipe smokers out there grabbing 2-5 tins on average. I guess we really are a rare breed.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
T
I ordered my two tins just short of 48 hours after it was released. I thought "it's now or never if I pull the trigger". When they arrived, the numbers 6945 and 6969 (not kidding) ... out of 10,000 tins minted. Well, I thought for sure it would be gone if they'd gone through nearly 70% of the stock by the end of the two days. I guess not, for I wrongly assumed that they were distributing and shipping out in order, from #1 to #10,000.

So, I guess there aren't 2,000-5,000 pipe smokers out there grabbing 2-5 tins on average. I guess we really are a rare breed.
There is no order in which they are shipped especially considering the ones that went through distribution to other resellers. On one of the Sun Bear releases I ordered 7 tins from one place (not SP) and the tins I received were about a 4500 number span.