Jim's C&D Carolina Red Flake 2022 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Does orange Va. make it sweeter or smoother? Or does it mostly add to/change the flavor (perhaps the greater citrus flavor you noted)?
I'm not sure exactly why it seems smoother than I expected. It still has a few small rough notes, but I expected a little more. Maybe it was a sugar casing? Anyway, orange Virginia is more citrusy than red Virginia, and as many of us know, there's been a problem with the diminishing sugar content of red Virginia in recent years as crops have changed, and less is being grown. That was one reason why McClelland shuttered their doors.

What I should have written in my review now that this has come up is that there's a light sparkle note from the orange that red Virginias usually lack, which adds to the experience. It's a similar sparkle note, though less evident, than there is in Watch City's Simply Orange Virginia.

Last edited:

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I'm not sure exactly why it seems smoother than I expected. It still has a few small rough notes, but I expected a little more. Maybe it was a sugar casing? Anyway, orange Virginia is more citrusy than red Virginia, and as many of us know, there's been a problem with the diminishing sugar content of red Virginia in recent years as crops have changed, and less is being grown. That was one reason why McClelland shuttered their doors.

What I should have written in my review now that this has come up is that there's a light sparkle note from the orange that red Virginias usually lack, which adds to the experience. It's a similar sparkle note, though less evident, than there is in Watch City's Simply Orange Virginia.
This is extremely informative; thank you so much! It sounds really nice.

I haven’t had the pleasure of trying Watch City’s Simply Orange yet (or Red, for that matter), but I’m very much looking forward to it if released again—in large part thanks to your excellent, informative reviews.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is extremely informative; thank you so much! It sounds really nice.

I haven’t had the pleasure of trying Watch City’s Simply Orange yet (or Red, for that matter), but I’m very much looking forward to it if released again—in large part thanks to your excellent, informative reviews.
Thank you. I hope Ernie does bring back Simply Orange Virginia, which was my idea. It's sparkly when fresh, and is maturing very well. I mylared a couple of pounds to see what a few years does to it.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Someone with as much backing money as SPC should really learn from their 500 past eff ups on product launches, i seriously question whoever runs their site and the fact that load testing seems to be unknown to them. eh it is what it is

I give almost 100% of my money to SP, except on these types of launches.

I went to TobaccoPipes at 6pm, site was up, grabbed a few tins, checked out, no issues. Their allotment sold in roughly 5 minutes but no denial of service issues from traffic.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I found some at a place I’d never heard of “BnB” have some confirmed and enjoying the 2018 version as I type. We
BnB has major stock issues. Multiple folks myself included have placed orders of in stock items that were later revoked. Lost 3 tins of Whimsical that way. Id get backup tins at SP now that theyre up if i were you.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Tobacco pipes sold out of 700 tins in 5 minutes, SP site shit the bed…

I was gonna buy 5 just for laughs, but I don’t need it that bad.
Less then 5 minutes. I was on the site as the clocked turned to 4:00mtn and loaded cart but by the time I entered card info and hit the complete purchase. It loaded up and said product not available. Thank God for smoking pipes and the 12 a day limit. Picked up 9 so I'm a happy, just the lag and crashing could be better but what can you expect when you have a quarter of all the tins produced.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
BnB has major stock issues. Multiple folks myself included have placed orders of in stock items that were later revoked. Lost 3 tins of Whimsical that way. Id get backup tins at SP now that theyre up if i were you.
Took me less than 30 seconds to secure on SP, thanks! Love this place. If BnB screws me, they are dead to me, but if they come through I will have way more than I need so there could be some serious Santa mailings in a few months!!