Jim's C&D Carolina Red Flake 2022 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It goes on sale September 5.

The year 2020 Virginia red and orange tips are from one farm and the sugar content is 13.53 percent. They produce an abundance of mildly tart and very tangy ripe citrus, sugar, bread, grass, some tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, floralness, vegetation, mild sour lemon, light spice, and small touches of vinegar and acidity. The strength is a step short of the medium mark. The taste is medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the overall strength level. There’s no chance bite or harshness. The typical Virginia rough notes are very light. The easily torn apart flakes are mildly moist. As is my usual custom, I did not dry them nor did I see a need to do so. Burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace with a very consistent, smoother than expected, deep fruity, sugary, mildly sour flavor that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Are there any particular bowl shapes that you found perform best with this?
When I review, I generally pick a bowl with a wide chamber so I can catch all the nuances I can. In this case, I don't think it matters because it's not a complex blend. The ripe, tangy citrus is going to speak to your tastebuds no matter what the pipe you use for that reason.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
When I review, I generally pick a bowl with a wide chamber so I can catch all the nuances I can. In this case, I don't think it matters because it's not a complex blend. The ripe, tangy citrus is going to speak to your tastebuds no matter what the pipe you use for that reason.
I see, thank you very much!

Reactions: JimInks

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
This sounds more codger like to me, no bite/harshness and an all day smoke, especially being an all day smoker.

I’m certainly not the smoke or C&D pro here, but I’ve never seen till now a C&D Red VA as an all day smoker, let alone, finding much of any other red VA blends/blenders out there as all day smokers.

This is going to be interesting. :)