PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Over 3,200.
The old VaPer Three Nuns is my all time favorite. I don't know that I have a favorite currently produced blend. There are too many that I like, including the ones I created and/or co-created.
I always look to your reviews over any others before I buy tobacco. You sir are a juggernaut of wealth of tobacco knowledge.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Over 3,200.
The old VaPer Three Nuns is my all time favorite. I don't know that I have a favorite currently produced blend. There are too many that I like, including the ones I created and/or co-created.
So here is a question. Did you find your palate got stronger after creating and/or co-creating a blend. I ask because with snuff I've done the same thing and found that playing and tuning in process combined with specifically knowing what's gone into the blend, ended up sharpening my ability to pick apart other snuffs.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
it's up to the readers to make their own decisions.
This is crucial for people to understand when it comes to any kind of review. Tastes are so subjective that unless you luck into finding a reviewer who matches you 100% you as a reader can't just take someone else's tastes as your own.

The most important aspect to reviews is consistency. I may have different tastes from Jim but he's so critically consistent that the parts we don't align in are easy to spot and I can get a good idea of how I'll like a blend based on those differences and past reviews.

Anyone getting into reading Jim's reviews I'd recommend comparing his thoughts and your own on a blend you really like and know well and then the same with a blend you didn't like.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is crucial for people to understand when it comes to any kind of review. Tastes are so subjective that unless you luck into finding a reviewer who matches you 100% you as a reader can't just take someone else's tastes as your own.

The most important aspect to reviews is consistency. I may have different tastes from Jim but he's so critically consistent that the parts we don't align in are easy to spot and I can get a good idea of how I'll like a blend based on those differences and past reviews.

Anyone getting into reading Jim's reviews I'd recommend comparing his thoughts and your own on a blend you really like and know well and then the same with a blend you didn't like.
That is a very objective analysis, and I agree with it. I don't let my personal opinions interfere with my analysis. What I do is provide guides to my experiences with blends as objectively as possible, and nothing else.

Last edited:

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
That is a very objective analysis, and I agree with it. I don't let my personal opinions interfere with my analysis. What I do is provide guides to my experiences with blends as objectively as possible, and nothing else.
And they are very objective and descriptive. I decided to try Hearth and Home First Snow because of your review. It did remind me of a spring morning with the grassy and earthy flavor instead of my first thoughts that it was a warm and cozy blend that would be best in the winter.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So here is a question. Did you find your palate got stronger after creating and/or co-creating a blend. I ask because with snuff I've done the same thing and found that playing and tuning in process combined with specifically knowing what's gone into the blend, ended up sharpening my ability to pick apart other snuffs.
Laterally, teachings students in university and then later guiding junior colleagues made me learn more about the stuff I meant to have known already.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
case in point. The few times one of your reviews grabbed my attention I actually got a pretty solid idea of how much I needed to get or ignore a blend. Thanks for the whole EGR thing again. Continues to be a huge favorite.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
And that is why I as well appreciate the effort. Your objectivity combined with your consistency have allowed me learn more about profiles, genres, and of course specific blends.

Coupling your consistent delivery with your tasting/blending experience has led me personally to narrow in on what I like or don’t like way ahead of the curve as opposed to sampling randomly.
Your rating carries weight, but is more at a condimental level to the review (see what I did there?😆) because forced rating, even as knowledgeable and careful as you are still has some subjectivity.

Thanks for all you do, it’s helped (and still helps) my journey, education, and wallet.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
And that is why I as well appreciate the effort. Your objectivity combined with your consistency have allowed me learn more about profiles, genres, and of course specific blends.

Coupling your consistent delivery with your tasting/blending experience has led me personally to narrow in on what I like or don’t like way ahead of the curve as opposed to sampling randomly.
Your rating carries weight, but is more at a condimental level to the review (see what I did there?😆) because forced rating, even as knowledgeable and careful as you are still has some subjectivity.

Thanks for all you do, it’s helped (and still helps) my journey, education, and wallet.
I have never been crazy about rating blends at all. But, since I had to, I devised a way to be as less subjective as I could. I rate blends against those similar to it in their respective genres. That is how, for example, you'd know my rating for a mild English would have nothing to do with a heavier English. Same goes for different flavored aromatics, etc., etc.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
Granted, I don't take his reviews as absolute gospel (he gave Mountain Camp 2 stars for Christ sake!) but I do appreciate his breadth of palate and does give an accurate assessment of the wealth of blends that come out. Appreciated! #adjectives

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Granted, I don't take his reviews as absolute gospel (he gave Mountain Camp 2 stars for Christ sake!) but I do appreciate his breadth of palate and does give an accurate assessment of the wealth of blends that come out. Appreciated! #adjectives
Thanks. I gave the reason it got two stars (rounded down from two and a half) in the review: the after taste was too cloying, which I found distracting. Without that, I would have likely given it three stars. Compared to other blends in that genre that didn't have that drawback, that is what it was when I reviewed it back in 2016.

Reactions: ThermionicScott