PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It took me a bit to decode his reviews. For a while, I would read his review while smoking the blend. After a while, by finding common descriptions of common leaves in multiple blends, I've come to figure out my understanding of his descriptions of taste and strength. Often for the life of me I cannot find what he's talking about. But when I see the same terms being used over and over, after a bit it becomes easier to pick out what Jim's talking about, even if I don't agree with the description.
Perhaps my thoughts on this subject will be of help to me. I don't know how long you've been smoking, but June 20 will make fifty years for me. It took me many years to understand the flavors in what I smoke. I had plenty of help and advice from blenders, too. Smoking each varietal from different companies was quite an education as well. I really didn't work at any of this that much until the last twenty years. I still feel that I have more to learn. I imagine many reading this may feel the same way from one degree to another.

I try to isolate what each component has to offer in a mix, and list their flavor aspects in descending order. I know that what I do may be hard to grasp and may be tedious at times as I mention a lot of those particulars for each tobacco. This is one of the major reasons that I give the high notes near the end of reviews for those who only want to know what the main flavors are.

Since body chemistry varies from person to person, it's not reasonable to assume that everybody will agree with anybody about what they taste, and what they don't. I only provide a guide to my experience as objectively as I am able. None of this is meant as a criticism of your comments, but they did lead me to express a few thoughts, some of which I have previously related. That's in case some reading this will take note if they are interested.

Last edited:

thomasw

Lifer
Dec 5, 2016
Thanks heaps for helping me to filter my tobacco purchasing decisions for the last 12 years!

But I have question for you:> is there any genre of tobacco you don't like? For example, even though some slightly tainted tobacco with Lakeland are great (GLP's Stonehenge flake comes to mind), as a rule, it is true I don't like Lakeland tobaccos. Anything like that? Perhaps it is dark kentucky? I know you can rate them objectively within their genre but perhaps you yourself do not actually 'like' the genre?

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Not at all, but it's certainly a worthy blend. You reminded me that I have a 1990s tin of it that I should open when I smoke down some of my open stash.
Gosh, I'm honored. Several months back, I jumped on 3 tins of Royal Twist, the limited edition. I've also got tins of Three Nuns aging.
By the way, I think recently, you seemed saddened to have finished your supply of Stonehaven. I have a stock of it & would be open to trading a bit for, perhaps, some of the Edgeworth Flake you've recently mentioned -- or maybe some Cabbie's Mixture if you have any. If you'd like ....

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks heaps for helping me to filter my tobacco purchasing decisions for the last 12 years!

But I have question for you:> is there any genre of tobacco you don't like? For example, even though some slightly tainted tobacco with Lakeland are great (GLP's Stonehenge flake comes to mind), as a rule, it is true I don't like Lakeland tobaccos. Anything like that? Perhaps it is dark kentucky? I know you can rate them objectively within their genre but perhaps you yourself do not actually 'like' the genre?
I like blends in every genre and dislike some in every one as well. Variety is my spice of smoke, man. :)

Gosh, I'm honored. Several months back, I jumped on 3 tins of Royal Twist, the limited edition. I've also got tins of Three Nuns aging.
By the way, I think recently, you seemed saddened to have finished your supply of Stonehaven. I have a stock of it & would be open to trading a bit for, perhaps, some of the Edgeworth Flake you've recently mentioned -- or maybe some Cabbie's Mixture if you have any. If you'd like ....
I appreciate the offer, but I do have more Stonehaven. I'm just trying to keep my open stash at a half way manageable level, although I'm seldom successful at that. I have plenty of burley blends blends open, so when I finish the tin of Edgeworth Slices, I'll go back to Stonehaven. ES also gives me the opportunity to smoke that PSF POY Kaywoodie, which is a great smoker. It was well worth the fifty bucks that I paid for it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim are you still reviewing? I haven't seen a review on Tobacco Reviews in 11 months.
I have answered this question before. I had no luck signing on there for a few months, and gave up. I've been posting the majority of my reviews here. My KBV reviews are on another forum.

I've thought about trying to log on there again, but I haven't had many spare moments in months, so I haven't had time to devote to the process.

Pip'n'Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2022
Is
Not at all, but it's certainly a worthy blend. You reminded me that I have a 1990s tin of it that I should open when I smoke down some of my open stash.
Is there anything even close to the historic version of three nuns? I, like many, hold your reviews in high regard. Seeing you hit 3000 on tobaccoreviews felt historic, like an athlete breaking a milestone, one unlikely to be broken. That said, I enjoy your posts about your cats even more than the reviews. I love cats, and I love seeing the people on this website show love for the felines like they do, undoubtedly due to your influence. Thank you for your influence on me, this community and on all pipe smokers. Cheers.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is

Is there anything even close to the historic version of three nuns? I, like many, hold your reviews in high regard. Seeing you hit 3000 on tobaccoreviews felt historic, like an athlete breaking a milestone, one unlikely to be broken. That said, I enjoy your posts about your cats even more than the reviews. I love cats, and I love seeing the people on this website show love for the felines like they do, undoubtedly due to your influence. Thank you for your influence on me, this community and on all pipe smokers. Cheers.
Thank you for all the kind words, man. Love for animals is a precious thing. Dogs and cats love unconditionally, and that should never be taken for granted.

As for your question, I'm afraid the answer is "no". Ernie at Watch City tried to imitate Three Nuns twice, and while I enjoyed both blends (The 4th Nun and 4th Nun Returns), the inability to source the necessary tobaccos was a handicap. Even still, I wish he'd bring the first version.

Paul Olsen had one that was a little closer, but suffered from the same problem. I have no idea if it is still in production, and if it is, it's not sold in the USA.

The first two years of Savinelli Doblone d'Oro (2014-2015) were the closest matches I had found even with the small amount of DFK. After that, they cheapened the blend to save money by reversing the percentage of perique and dark fired Kentucky, and it's nowhere near any version of Three Nuns. HU's Director's Cut suffered the same fate although it was not like Three Nuns, but it scratched that itch a mite.

Peter Heinrich's Special Curly is a good blend, but is a half hearted attempt to copy Three Nuns.

Many years back, Russ Ouellette contacted me about what my favorite desert island smoke was. I told him the VaPer Three Nuns. I had the formula for the 1971 version, and we were going to work at sourcing the appropriate tobaccos, but nothing came of it.

Last edited:

Joe H

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2024
Alaska
I just wonder, what if a fellow took a current tin of Three Nuns, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro or Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices, or whatever is closest, and mixed in a small amount of perique…would it be possible to get closer to the original, or is the addition of DFK enough to change the thing beyond repair?

My dad smoked the ‘60s to ‘70s version of Three Nuns rarely as a break from his aromatics and I would like to try something similar. And let me echo the thanks so many have regarding your amazing contributions to this hobby – many thanks!

Reactions: Friendly Piper

Pip'n'Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2022
Thank you for all the kind words, man. Love for animals is a precious thing. Dogs and cats love unconditionally, and that should never be taken for granted.

As for your question, I'm afraid the answer is "no". Ernie at Watch City tried to imitate Three Nuns twice, and while I enjoyed both blends (The 4th Nun and 4th Nun Returns), the inability to source the necessary tobaccos was a handicap. Even still, I wish he'd bring the first version.

Paul Olsen had one that was a little closer, but suffered from the same problem. I have no idea if it is still in production, and if it is, it's not sold in the USA.

The first two years of Savinelli Doblone d'Oro (2014-2015) were the closest matches I had found even with the small amount of DFK. After that, they cheapened the blend to save money by reversing the percentage of perique and dark fired Kentucky, and it's nowhere near any version of Three Nuns. HU's Director's Cut suffered the same fate although it was not like Three Nuns, but it scratched that itch a mite.

Peter Heinrich's Special Curly is a good blend, but is a half hearted attempt to copy Three Nuns.

Many years back, Russ Ouellette contacted me about what my favorite desert island smoke was. I told him the VaPer Three Nuns. I had the formula for the 1971 version, and we were going to work at sourcing the appropriate tobaccos, but nothing came of it.
Not to be taken for granted for sure, they’re all individuals and the unique nature of each animal’s personality, character, and love is impossible to replace. The girl in my avatar passed away recently and me, her brother and rest of the family are all feeling the void of her pervasive character. Thanks Jim, at the end of the day I enjoy Three Nuns as it is now, I’d just like to try what it was before, it’s a dream, but I consider myself a dreamer. Thanks again for your work in this field. I look forward to many more reviews and a post, from the expert, if an adequate replica should surface. Much respect.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not to be taken for granted for sure, they’re all individuals and the unique nature of each animal’s personality, character, and love is impossible to replace. The girl in my avatar passed away recently and me, her brother and rest of the family are all feeling the void of her pervasive character. Thanks Jim, at the end of the day I enjoy Three Nuns as it is now, I’d just like to try what it was before, It’s a dream, but I consider myself a dreamer. Thanks again for your work in this field. I look forward to many more reviews and a post, from the expert, if an adequate replica should surface. Much respect.
I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss. I know how tough it can be.

If someone does indeed try to replicate the vintage Three Nuns, and it's good, I'll tell everybody on the planet. :LOL:

The respect is reciprocal.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Looking into things further, I see that it would have been more specific if I'd asked how close Royal Twist comes to Three Nuns Green. I may have an opportunity to trade a newer, unopened tin of Three Nuns for an unopened tin of Three Nuns Green. Both Royal Twist & the Green show being a VaPer with Ky. But I know that two blends listing the same ingredients doesn't necessarily mean they'll be the same in scent & the smoke. And like another suggestion, I could add some Perique to other Coin Cuts, have a very nice mixture, but still not have Three Nuns.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Looking into things further, I see that it would have been more specific if I'd asked how close Royal Twist comes to Three Nuns Green. I may have an opportunity to trade a newer, unopened tin of Three Nuns for an unopened tin of Three Nuns Green. Both Royal Twist & the Green show being a VaPer with Ky. But I know that two blends listing the same ingredients doesn't necessarily mean they'll be the same in scent & the smoke. And like another suggestion, I could add some Perique to other Coin Cuts, have a very nice mixture, but still not have Three Nuns.
They are in the same genre regarding ingredients though the coin cut and varietal proportions are not the same. I would say that the perique in Royal Twist is mildly more obvious than it is in Three Nuns Green where it is a condiment. Royal Twist is a little sweeter due to the honey topping, and is a step or two stronger in flavor. Three Nuns Green is a little rougher and a little less complex with more of a DFK presence with less of a Virginia presence.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I also abuse @JimInks 's availability to satisfy - if possible - a curiosity: I see that you smoke mainly British pipes; is there a particular reason? Maybe you find them more analytical?
I do prefer British pipes, but I have quite a few Danish and Italian pipes that I am very fond of smoking, too. The classic British style is very appealing to me these days, but I do like to switch around a lot. I like a great variety of pipe shapes and designs, and have gone through many phases of styles and makers these past fifty years of smoking. For instance, I used to smoke bigger pipes much more often years ago, but these days I tend to smaller bowls more often because they are easier to clench, and gives me more opportunity smoke a greater variety of blends during the day. Unless I am reviewing or am out of town, I don't repeat a blend and pipe during my day.

Some more examples of my reasoning:
1) Peterson pipes with a p-lip are my best clenchers because my teeth are perfectly aligned to match the bits even though I often "choke up" a tad more often than. The 4ABs are my favorite Petersons. They clench easy and never get hot. Most of them were bought as birthday presents for me, and I got them on my birthday. How more special could that make them? And there's this reason: The Peterson 4AB POTY Is Coming! :: Pipe Talk - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/the-peterson-4ab-poty-is-coming.87844/#post-36477576

2) Hungarian and big Danish pipes (which were popular when I was younger) are for relaxation time more often that not. Before I became a comic book artist and a writer, I smoked them exponentially more often than I do now because their size and weight aren't always easy to handle when my head is bent down over a drawing board. Canadians, Liverpools, "Bings", Lumbermans, bulldogs, and smaller pipes that don't get in my way or block my line of sight are much preferable when I draw or write magazine articles and write/edit books.

3) I dedicate pipes to either one blend or one genre. I mostly base what style and maker I smoke on what blend I feel like smoking. And I have made a habit of dedicating several pipes to one blend for variety's sake, and for what I may be doing at the time I want to smoke whatever mixture I choose.

For instance, I tend to smoke Italian or Danish pipes when I smoke Sutliff Edgeworth Match because I had dedicated those pipes to that blend before I acquired so many Brit pipes. And the Stanwell I smoke it in is one of my favorite pipes with a ton of memories that go with it. Those pipes are so well seasoned with that blend that I find it a great comfort when I smoke one of them. That goes for all of my dedicated pipes.

4) My two walking pipes are Italian made because their style, open draw, and light weight lend themselves to easier smoking.

5) Most of the time, I smoke meers while reviewing. Otherwise, I greatly prefer briar pipes.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but it gave me a chance to write things I've been asked at one time or another, so I figured this was a opportune time to do it.

JimRoseLV

Can't Leave
Apr 22, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I have answered this question before. I had no luck signing on there for a few months, and gave up. I've been posting the majority of my reviews here. My KBV reviews are on another forum.

I've thought about trying to log on there again, but I haven't had many spare moments in months, so I haven't had time to devote to the process.
Sorry Jim. I didn't see your previous post on the subject.

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
The 4ABs are my favorite Petersons. They clench easy and never get hot. Most of them were bought as birthday presents for me, and I got them on my birthday. How more special could that make them?
Wondering if this was as much of an inspiration for you as it was for me to get my two 309's (a smooth & a rusticated Donegal Rocky)? Pic below ....
Also, my admissions:
1) I have 10 Peterson System Standards, various shapes & models, but all were specifically ordered with Fishtail Stems. I didn't want to gamble on P-lip suitability, plus I don't clench. I like to hold the pipe in my hand. Having said that, if I found a P-lip that would fit one of my Systems, so I'd have two stems, I'd probably be willing to try it. Love the Systems.

2) I have about 35 (+) pipes & have never dedicated any to just one or one type of tobacco. I'm one of those who just grab a pipe & smoke whatever. Probably SACRILEGE to many (?) ... I know, I know.

1723671318021.png