PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
It took me a bit to decode his reviews. For a while, I would read his review while smoking the blend. After a while, by finding common descriptions of common leaves in multiple blends, I've come to figure out my understanding of his descriptions of taste and strength. Often for the life of me I cannot find what he's talking about. But when I see the same terms being used over and over, after a bit it becomes easier to pick out what Jim's talking about, even if I don't agree with the description.
Perhaps my thoughts on this subject will be of help to me. I don't know how long you've been smoking, but June 20 will make fifty years for me. It took me many years to understand the flavors in what I smoke. I had plenty of help and advice from blenders, too. Smoking each varietal from different companies was quite an education as well. I really didn't work at any of this that much until the last twenty years. I still feel that I have more to learn. I imagine many reading this may feel the same way from one degree to another.

I try to isolate what each component has to offer in a mix, and list their flavor aspects in descending order. I know that what I do may be hard to grasp and may be tedious at times as I mention a lot of those particulars for each tobacco. This is one of the major reasons that I give the high notes near the end of reviews for those who only want to know what the main flavors are.

Since body chemistry varies from person to person, it's not reasonable to assume that everybody will agree with anybody about what they taste, and what they don't. I only provide a guide to my experience as objectively as I am able. None of this is meant as a criticism of your comments, but they did lead me to express a few thoughts, some of which I have previously related. That's in case some reading this will take note if they are interested.

Last edited: