PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wondering if this was as much of an inspiration for you as it was for me to get my two 309's (a smooth & a rusticated Donegal Rocky)? Pic below ....
Also, my admissions:
1) I have 10 Peterson System Standards, various shapes & models, but all were specifically ordered with Fishtail Stems. I didn't want to gamble on P-lip suitability, plus I don't clench. I like to hold the pipe in my hand. Having said that, if I found a P-lip that would fit one of my Systems, so I'd have two stems, I'd probably be willing to try it. Love the Systems.

2) I have about 35 (+) pipes & have never dedicated any to just one or one type of tobacco. I'm one of those who just grab a pipe & smoke whatever. Probably SACRILEGE to many (?) ... I know, I know.

View attachment 330164
Cleef was not an influence on my thinking in any way regarding the 4AB. Only Rathbone was. But, I can certainly see why the pipe Cleef smoked would influence you. He looks great and distinguished with that pipe.

As far as your heathenistic, sacrilegious and scandalous approach to smoking, I can only say one thing to you in your hopeless decadence: nnnn

rotf

😇

Sorry, man. I just couldn't resist having a little fun back with you. :)

Sandblast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Cleef was not an influence on my thinking in any way regarding the 4AB. Only Rathbone was. But, I can certainly see why the pipe Cleef smoked would influence you. He looks great and distinguished with that pipe.

As far as your heathenistic, sacrilegious and scandalous approach to smoking, I can only say one thing to you in your hopeless decadence: nnnn

rotf

😇

Sorry, man. I just couldn't resist having a little fun back with you. :)
Re: The Pic of Lee Van Cleef ... I read somewhere that the pipe may actually have been a Wellington, not a 309. Regardless, the little kid in me still loves the Pic & makes my 309's special (!!!). Short of any proof, I will continue to believe it's a 309 (or 4AB). NOTE: The little kid in me always treasured any Christmas or Birthday presents linked to all those 50's Westerns = Maverick, Colt .45, Sugarfoot, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Lawman, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc, hence my love for those Spaghetti Westerns with Clint & Angel Eyes (Lee), especially his quote when identified as "The Smoker -- now c'mon, you light another match" ... and he replied "I generally smoke just after I eat. Why don't you come back in about 10 minutes." Was awesome!

Re: The joshing you laid upon me ... my reaction is that I'm now curled up on the couch in the fetal position, sucking my thumb, tears streaming down my cheeks, sobbing. :cry:
But don't be upset. I'm thinking a nice glass of Canadian Whisky with a splash of Canada Dry along with a good size chunk of Baked Salmon will alleviate my sorrow.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Re: The Pic of Lee Van Cleef ... I read somewhere that the pipe may actually have been a Wellington, not a 309. Regardless, the little kid in me still loves the Pic & makes my 309's special (!!!). Short of any proof, I will continue to believe it's a 309 (or 4AB). NOTE: The little kid in me always treasured any Christmas or Birthday presents linked to all those 50's Westerns = Maverick, Colt .45, Sugarfoot, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Lawman, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc, hence my love for those Spaghetti Westerns with Clint & Angel Eyes (Lee), especially his quote when identified as "The Smoker -- now c'mon, you light another match" ... and he replied "I generally smoke just after I eat. Why don't you come back in about 10 minutes." Was awesome!

Re: The joshing you laid upon me ... my reaction is that I'm now curled up on the couch in the fetal position, sucking my thumb, tears streaming down my cheeks, sobbing. :cry:
But don't be upset. I'm thinking a nice glass of Canadian Whisky with a splash of Canada Dry along with a good size chunk of Baked Salmon will alleviate my sorrow.
Good man!

I made pizzas for m'lady and myself tonight, and she made strawberry ice cream.

Dunno what pipe Cleef was smoking, but that's not an AB stem.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I have answered this question before. I had no luck signing on there for a few months, and gave up. I've been posting the majority of my reviews here. My KBV reviews are on another forum.

I've thought about trying to log on there again, but I haven't had many spare moments in months, so I haven't had time to devote to the process.
Which forum are you KBV reviews on? I’d love to read them.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
JimInks, apologies if you've answered this in your many threads.

Any tobaccos you haven't yet tried that are on your radar?
I'm sure there are some, but outside of the Gladora blends and most of the McClelland Grand Oriental series, I can't think of any as of this moment. Since I don't buy tobacco any more, it just may be a moot point in general.