Jim’s GLP Cumberland and Samarra 20th Anniversary Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We know, Jim. Your reviews are top-notch, unbiased, and much appreciated. I was saying that in jest, though that doesn't change the fact that your reviews are constantly getting me to open up the wallet for new blends!
funny I don't get much from Jims reviews. It's just me. Though I just realized if I was ever going to try and recreate an old blend the first thing I'd do is go find one of his reviews if possible. That's where I'd find it useful. Honestly I have this feeling that much of pipe smoking is just inexplicable magical qualities that defy words. Yes this is a compliment. And yes honestly his reviews are like those adult movies that show everything leaving no room for my imagination. Too spot on for my gratification.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Between all the other releases this month and some Virginias I've been patiently waiting to come available (that did) I'm having to pass on these. Enjoy them!

Reactions: Jwebb90

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
My wife told me I'm forbidden from using the words 'tobacco' and 'investment' in the same sentence from now on. I started tuning her out as I was ordering some of these 20th Anniversary tins and think I heard her say I need to invest in our children's college funds or something like that. I'm sure my children will understand once they get older...

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
My wife told me I'm forbidden from using the words 'tobacco' and 'investment' in the same sentence from now on. I started tuning her out as I was ordering some of these 20th Anniversary tins and think I heard her say I need to invest in our children's college funds or something like that. I'm sure my children will understand once they get older...
Tobacco almost always improves with age. Children on the other hand....

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Even though I noticed slower movement, I feared disappearance. I ordered a couple of tins of the Samarra about 6 hours before the 10% sale launched. I am not complaining though, it would have only saved me about 1/2 the amount of the postage. I could not find enough wanted (by me) tins in stock to reach the $95 threshold.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 27, 2020
The hype train has already plowed through town, ravaged our wallets, and spit us out the other side...

10 measly percent and some semi-obscure, semi-unchanged GLP blends isn’t going to do it.

Also, I already grabbed a couple of each before the sale ?

Yes, I am on a a strict regiment from this point forward of just ordering solid standbys which I don't have enough of.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am always curious about blends that feature specific varietals of Turkish/Oriental leaf. One of the great surprises of my pipe smoking career was finding out that, contrary to my idea of blenders painstakingly sampling and combining specific Oriental varietals to include in their blends, many times what is added to Latakia/Oriental blends is just a grab bag of Turkish/Oriental leaf that comes pre-mixed with different types of leaf. That's not a bad thing, of course, just less romantic than I'd envisioned. ? I really feel like I have less of a handle on Oriental leaf than any other as a result. I've never felt particularly deprived with McC going out of business, but I do wish I'd sampled more of their Oriental series just for the education.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
There have been times where I wished you just came out and said whether you liked a blend or not. However, I realized that if I really want to know what you enjoy I just need to look at the What Are You Smoking thread.

He must be from Switzerland because he’s Neutral, that’s how the Swiss are... :)

Thanks for the great review(s)! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.