Jim’s GLP Cumberland and Samarra 20th Anniversary Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
These two limited edition anniversary blends will be available early next week. The production is 2,500 tins each.

GLP Cumberland 20th Anniversary Limited Edition:
The 2019 semi-fired smoky Kentucky provides earth, wood, floralness, a fair amount of spice, nuts and dry sourness, along with an obvious barbecue sweetness as the lead component. The red and fermented matured Virginias offer a lot of tart and tangy citrus and grass, some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, mild sugar and floralness, light spice, and touches of vinegar and stewed fruit. They are supporting players. The qualities of the earthy, woody perique include plums, raisins, figs, and a moderate spice hit. It is a step above being a condiment with the spice and plums being the most obvious aspects. The strength and nic-hit are a couple rungs past the medium mark. The taste level is just short of the center of medium to strong. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, but there are a few rough edges. It’s deeply rich, well balanced, nuanced and complex. It burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent, mildly sweet and very savory, piquant flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is a filling, repeatable one. This production is lightly more complex and potent with a tad more spice than the original. Four stars out of four.

GLP Samarra 20th Anniversary Limited Edition:

The vintage, fermented Basma, Samsun and Black Sea Soukhoum Orientals provide earth, wood, floralness, herbs, vegetation, some spice, mild buttery sweetness and a fair amount of sourness. They are the lead components, and are much more potent in this manufacture than the Orientals are in the original. The smoky, woody, earthy, musty, leathery, floral, moderately sweet Cyprian Latakia is a strong second lead. The red Virginia offers tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, and light sugar in the third position. The lemon Virginia dishes out a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass/hay, some sugar, mild floralness, toast, and light spice. It is just above being a noticeable condiment. The aspects of the earthy, woody perique include raisins, plums, figs, and some pepper in a condimental role. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are a couple of steps past the medium mark. Won't bite or get harsh, but it does sport a few small rough edges, which is typical of blends in this genre. Well balanced, complex, and nuanced. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent, deeply rich, mildly creamy sweet and more savory, sour, spicy, zesty campfire flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a bit stronger. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl. Requires an average number of relights. It’s not an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable during your smoking day. It’s a little stouter and more complex than the original. Four stars out of four.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Jim, you are a one man hype team. I hope these companies are throwing you a few farthings, because you repeatedly get me to notice and purchase blends and releases that I would have been otherwise oblivious to.

These both sound intense and delicious.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, you are a one man hype team. I hope these companies are throwing you a few farthings, because you repeatedly get me to notice and purchase blends and releases that I would have been otherwise oblivious to.

These both sound intense and delicious.
I would not take money even if it was offered. My independence is too important to me for that. Nobody has ever tried to influence, not that it would do any good. If somebody tried, I'd never review for them again.

I only post reviews on forums that I think deserve a wider audience than Tobacco Reviews. Nobody has ever asked me to post on forums. I alone make that determination. I am aware people want to know about new releases, so I figure it's a good thing for the community if I post them here. People can make up their own minds whether or not to buy them. Personal choices like that are none of my concern. My concern stops at providing information to my fellow pipers. That's why you don't see me give a personal opinion in reviews.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I would not take money even if it was offered. My independence is too important to me for that. Nobody has ever tried to influence, not that it would do any good. If somebody tried, I'd never review for them again.

We know, Jim. Your reviews are top-notch, unbiased, and much appreciated. I was saying that in jest, though that doesn't change the fact that your reviews are constantly getting me to open up the wallet for new blends!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
We know, Jim. Your reviews are top-notch, unbiased, and much appreciated. I was saying that in jest, though that doesn't change the fact that your reviews are constantly getting me to open up the wallet for new blends!
Thanks. I wrote all of that because I think it's important to do the occasional reminder.

I can't tell you how tempting it is at times to mortgage the house to buy a bunch of tins of some products.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There have been times where I wished you just came out and said whether you liked a blend or not. However, I realized that if I really want to know what you enjoy I just need to look at the What Are You Smoking thread.
I understand. I'm often asked to do that. But, if I give an opinion, I feel I'd be compromising the point of trying to be objective. I much prefer people make up their own minds. I only provide a guide of my experience, and the rest is up to the reader to make a decision. That's my comfort level.

Actually, I smoke blends I like and some I'm not crazy about, so my posts in the WAYS thread are not always indicative of my personal taste. I don't throw tobacco away, so I do occasionally smoke stuff that would not even make my top 100. Some blends, like EGR, are easy to figure that I like. Others, not so much.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
These two limited edition anniversary blends will be available early next week. The production is 2,500 tins each.

GLP Cumberland 20th Anniversary Limited Edition:
The 2019 semi-fired smoky Kentucky provides earth, wood, floralness, a fair amount of spice, nuts and dry sourness, along with an obvious barbecue sweetness as the lead component. The red and fermented matured Virginias offer a lot of tart and tangy citrus and grass, some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, mild sugar and floralness, light spice, and touches of vinegar and stewed fruit. They are supporting players. The qualities of the earthy, woody perique include plums, raisins, figs, and a moderate spice hit. It is a step above being a condiment with the spice and plums being the most obvious aspects. The strength and nic-hit are a couple rungs past the medium mark. The taste level is just short of the center of medium to strong. There’s no chance of bite or harshness, but there are a few rough edges. It’s deeply rich, well balanced, nuanced and complex. It burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a very consistent, mildly sweet and very savory, piquant flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is a filling, repeatable one. This production is lightly more complex and potent with a tad more spice than the original. Four stars out of four.

GLP Samarra 20th Anniversary Limited Edition:
The vintage, fermented Basma, Samsun and Black Sea Soukhoum Orientals provide earth, wood, floralness, herbs, vegetation, some spice, mild buttery sweetness and a fair amount of sourness. They are the lead components, and are much more potent in this manufacture than the Orientals are in the original. The smoky, woody, earthy, musty, leathery, floral, moderately sweet Cyprian Latakia is a strong second lead. The red Virginia offers tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, and light sugar in the third position. The lemon Virginia dishes out a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass/hay, some sugar, mild floralness, toast, and light spice. It is just above being a noticeable condiment. The aspects of the earthy, woody perique include raisins, plums, figs, and some pepper in a condimental role. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are a couple of steps past the medium mark. Won't bite or get harsh, but it does sport a few small rough edges, which is typical of blends in this genre. Well balanced, complex, and nuanced. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent, deeply rich, mildly creamy sweet and more savory, sour, spicy, zesty campfire flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a bit stronger. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl. Requires an average number of relights. It’s not an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable during your smoking day. It’s a little stouter and more complex than the original. Four stars out of four.
I do have a question. These two blends are available for purchase at SP and other retailers. So what sets the 20th anniversary edition apart from what is readily available?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I do have a question. These two blends are available for purchase at SP and other retailers. So what sets the 20th anniversary edition apart from what is readily available?
They switched out the Orientals in Samarra for others that were vintage, stronger and more complex. They used a different, stronger, less dark fired Kentucky for Cumberland. If they did more than that, I couldn't tell.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In the early 2000s smoking Cumberland it contained a mahogany burley that I found delectable, which gave it a peculiarly delectable flavor, and I loved the blend. When the mahogany ran out, they substituted another burley that I found less tasty, but because of my first impression I continued smoking more of the blend than I otherwise would have.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Always appreciate your reviews, Jim. I'm not much for Dark Fired Kentucky or Latakia blends so I think I'll pass on these but it's nice to know from an objective source what I'm missing out on!

Status
Not open for further replies.