Jim’s GLP Cumberland and Samarra 20th Anniversary Reviews.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
So I read a review about the Samarra 20th that said these orientals are actually McClelland orientals. Does someone have a source for that claim?

All I know is I took a punt on 20 tins based on how much I liked the regular Samarra and this 20th Anniversary edition is amazing - very Oriental forward and I am happy to have so many stacked back.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
funny I don't get much from Jims reviews. It's just me. Though I just realized if I was ever going to try and recreate an old blend the first thing I'd do is go find one of his reviews if possible. That's where I'd find it useful. Honestly I have this feeling that much of pipe smoking is just inexplicable magical qualities that defy words. Yes this is a compliment. And yes honestly his reviews are like those adult movies that show everything leaving no room for my imagination. Too spot on for my gratification.
Personally I would love some pulp-fiction tobacco reviews where the Cyprian Thrusts it's way on top, the mild Virginia's wait until the end to come to the front, no re-lights are required and doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Personally I would love some pulp-fiction tobacco reviews where the Cyprian Thrusts it's way on top, the mild Virginia's wait until the end to come to the front, no re-lights are required and doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth...
Cool I give you an explicit review of when you get ash in your eye. That's the one overly explicit review I can write. I just have to wait for the next time it happens (about once a decade so should be happening again soon). I'll blame what ever blend I am smoking too. I assume you're saying you like reviews that leave little to thee imagination.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I love almost all of GLP blends. I'm not so sure on what this whole "anniversary" thing is all about. I would have rather seen him come out with some new blends and not just throw a little tweak into his older existing blends.

OTOH Maybe i'd change my mind if i tried them - and if i liked them, then I'd eat crow.

"Limited edition" and "small batch" seem to generate a lot of interest.

Last edited:

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
If Pease ever retires his blends will become extremely valuable and sought after, even more than Mclellands.
I suspect that if he retires, C&D will continue making the blends as they already do and he will continue to collect off of them. He might stop blending, but, probably not. I mean it is not like he has quotas to hit or anything. He has a pretty good thing going, where he gets to create blends and C&D handles the manufacture, marketing, distribution, etc. A very different situation than what MCClelland was facing to cause them to shut down.

Not to diminish his blends or his skills as a blender. I’ve always been a fan. I miss his writing in the briar and leaf chronicles and the Ask GL Pease on here though.... I wish he would do that again.

My .02 of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.