PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think every opinion has a place here. If we all just sat around agreeing on every little thing, it’d just be a big ol circle jerk of a forum.
Bullshit. Packaging the problem as a binary choice is the lamest of sophistry, Cosmic.
No one, at any time, here or on any board, ever said everyone had to agree on every little thing. Hardly. Not even close.
What matters is the MANNER of DISagreement. If respect is present all is well; if it is lacking, the shit hits the fan. Every time.

• Love
Reactions: Papamique

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Your conspicuous exclusion of Mothman is troubling.
That was funny.
What sable said goes for me too. I take views expressed for what it's worth and move on. Debate is generally good, even if you don't agree sometimes; usually something can be gained from it. Best not to take things too personal.
EDIT: definitely, respect is important.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
PM Forums are like a bridge...a troll pops up from time to time when least expected to rattle the footings and cause general verbal malaise. But they retreat to their holes soon enough.

In respect to the OP, I will add that I had no idea about the history of Jess and Stanwell until I watched the video Ash posted. I am a fan of Stanwell's designs, but I never really new many of the artists who worked and designed for them. Before knowing this, I would have skirted the prices on the Jess pipes because I didn't realize the reason for the prices. I am not beyond paying $1000+ for a pipe. But, there has to be something to it besides being told that it is an excellent pipe. I am sure that they are. But, I have a lot of pipes that I got below $1000 or even $300 that are also excellent smokers. But, knowing that Jess was an innovator of Stanwell and some of the great American pipemakers is significant. I would expect all of his pipes to be excellent pipes, but having a piece of history would be worth it to me.
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned whether or not there was an era in his pipemaking that was better or worse... but, I was surprised to see a few of his older pipes on eBay. I searched it, expecting not to find many, but there were quite a few. I have enjoyed the thread.. well... ha ha, the spirit of the thread was amusing, but it was more enjoyable to learn a little something about Jess.
For what it is worth, I was confused about what was happening when I first posted, because I usually read Saltedplug as... "blah blah blah, Come forth Cthulu, blah blah blah," and move to the next post in the thread. :puffy:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Incidentally, I'm a big fan of Stanwell's shape 139, which I believe Jess designed for them. In fact, it's about the only 'Danish' design I really love.
004-001-9215.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The only one I have, a Pearl grade for W.O. Larsen by Jess Chonowitsch. Pipe was listed as,
"W.O. Larsen Straight grain is what the nomenclature says, then there's a funky stamp on the other side of the shank."

The "funky stamp" is the smoker in the armchair that was used by W.O. Larsen to mark Pearl grade Straight Grain pipes, the highest grade available.
pearl21.jpg

:)

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
It’s too bad that the main source of heat in this thread has decided to resign from the board. As a newcomer, I welcome strong opinions, if it stimulates a lively discussion. That said, I do agree with ron123, that participants who emphasize collecting over smoking can be subject to some harsh opinions here, which is a shame.
Getting back to Jess, its more than just smoking mechanics and finish (although his finishes are out of this world). I find the proportions of Jess’ pipes especially noteworthy. Many carvers can create fine proportions for their billiards, bent brandys, and Dublins. But Jess gets it just exactly right every time, which is something I just don’t see very often with other carvers.
Regarding the best period of Jess’ career, I believe that he is producing his best pipes right now.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Strong opinions and diatribes about what a person dislikes seldom work out well. The same for what you like doesn't draw as much fire.
I agree with you on that, and I think it goes a level beyond. Strong opinions are great. Strong opinions that are taking the position of an ad hominem attack become far less tolerable. You can complain all you want about whatever it is you see fit to complain about, but when you start belittling others because you don’t agree with them is where the line is crossed. Just as you are free to have your thoughts and opinions on a topic, others are free to have theirs as well. When one starts to personally attack an individual or their idea because of a disagreement in taste or philosophy, we’ve turned the corner from strong opinions to simply being a dick.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yeah. About .025 google seconds will give you 9 hours of reading about Jess & his dad.
Holy Christ, was it a secret?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Hap, where can we find more information about which Stanwells were influenced by Jess?
Don's link to the pipedia page definitely clued me in on more Stanwell shapes than I even knew existed. Thanks for the link!
Pipedia doesn't have an entry for the 139 shape, but this page on SPC mentions the 139 as being a Jess shape, and it's mentioned fairly often on ads for pipes. I guess you'd call it an eighth-bent egg?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have no desire to own a pipe that costs more than $500, but I'm beyond grateful that they exist. I believe that everything has a niche market. What controls the costs of said market, I have no clue, but I know quality when I see, hold or taste it.
I also believe artisans should be able to get paid for what they do and not be confined to servitude because someone who has champagne tastes, but can only afford Steel Reserve, demands said artisan to cut corners.
Nope, this thread has only one problem. People who can only see the down the street are upset others can see the horizon.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Someday I will buy a Jess pipe. I have been wanting one for years but I can't justify spending 2 grand on an estate pipe. I would rather own five 400.00 pipes instead of the one. I put a certain value on a pipe and have trouble going over that threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.