PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I want to ask anyone how I can 'attach' a photo to this message (or the next one I will write)

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
What a great thread, every Upshall thread is always a classic, SS Jones you seem to have a hand in this. This should be in a book or at least on pipedia. The men involved are national treasures as far as I am concerned and deserve more recognition. It must be strange to see this thread and see grown men getting all excited about things you did for work.

owen

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Update: Tarheel and I decided to change the title of this thread to "James Upshall Pipes - A Discussion". It seemed more respectful in light of the direction where the thread had evolved.
This thread has certainly sparked in me, a renewed interest in James Upshall pipes. To this point, I had become disheartened about the company and offerings. I do know of two East Coast shops that each have an unsmoked James Upshall in their case (one P, one G). I may have to drop by for a visit!

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Thanks to you folks for posting Al (SSJones), thanks for making the British Pipes section of the forum. Tarheel1, sorry that the bespoke Upshall may not happen but thanks for starting this thread. The incomplete history of Upshall on the Internet had eliminated Ken but there was no James Upshall without him. Warms my heart to have him here and for this thread to start setting the record straight. Ken was a mad warrior in the pipe trade, daring, pure and passionate and modest about his work. My comments about Ken’s skill as a Cutter, initially, came from Barry who told me that “I cut what I know and Ken cuts what he sees.” That comment was made ~1983 and I saw Ken’s work with new eyes and realized that he could be challenged to produce even better pipes and he did. Ken would never agree but he was a Cutting prodigy and the proof is in the pipes.
Ken, do you remember the diameter of the open table saw that you used? I know that you remember when you cut your thumb (ouch!).
I try to connect dots to anchor dates and events but I can be mistaken. I was incorrect when I said that the “FH” and size first appeared in 1990 because they were occasionally used beginning in 1986 when we started to leverage the flexibility of the New Hermes engraver with nomenclature. Barry added the “FH” to the prototype of the “A” series in 1986 (it was the only “A” ever made as intended) as well as the “L” series of long canadians (homage to Barling) and occasionally other pipes. The FH and size were regular additions soon after Ken left. The “FH”, of course, stands for “Free Hand” as Upshall understood themselves to be English Free Hand pipe makers. With the New Hermes we never needed to make costly stamps and any nomenclature was available (except graphics).
Ken, I thought that you left in 1989 too but it was in late 1988, a couple of months before my dad passed (Jan 4th, 1989). More about the finishes later, especially those below the “P”, but ~1984 we started to import the “S”, orange-red priced at $100-$110, that had previously only been sold in Germany (Europe?). The German importer (name?) wanted this finish exclusively, so we made the “S” as a bright red that contrasted with the natural tobacco chamber (~1986). Tilsheads were natural and red but later some were made in the dark tan.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
This thread more than makes up for suffering through all the Penzance ones. I thank these gentleman for sharing all this fascinating information. Back in the mid 80's I was only a casual piper, making the first three pipes I ever smoked, but distinctly remember picking up an Upshall brochure at a B&M. I didn't know shit about pipes, but as a woodworker I could easily see that it was damn fine wood and workmanship. I'm so sorry now that I didn't buy one, but it would have been more than a week's salary at the time. Even today I doubt that many of us spend near that amount on a pipe, judging from a recent thread. Once again, thank you all for sharing this information.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
well, this thread sure gets my heart pounding (in a healthy way!)Thanks S.S.J for your guidance in downloading some stuff I came across yesterday (for the first time in 26 years. I have done what was suggested I am just hoping the photos are attached to this

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I have my album with my member's photo and 2 others which I wanted to share with you. How do I attach this album or photos to this message?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Ken,

Once you have uploaded your pictures to your album, do the following:
To begin, i usually have two windows open when I attach images. One is open to my album and the other is open to the forum page.
Click,or double click on the image that you want to attach so that you open the tpage for that image. You need to copy the image's location in order to attach it. If you are on a PC, right click over the image to open a pop up menu and select "copy image location". If you are on a Mac, hold down the control key and click over the image to open the pop up menu.
Next, go to the window where you want to attach the image. Look for IMG on the overhead menu and click on it to open a dialogue box. Paste in the image location that you just copied. The location will appear in your post with IMG in brackets flanking it. When you post, the image will appear.
Repeat copying and pasting the image location into separate IMG boxes then post. Your images will be attached to your post.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@kenbarnes, here you go. I wish I had more time to explain how to do it. I will pm you later for sure. It is very easy. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and experience. By the way, you look like a rock star ;-)

kens-first-photos-0031-avatar2.jpg

Ken checking briar moisture-content

dsc00182-443x600.jpg

Ken & Barry 1984?

dsc00176-547x600.jpg

Edit: Sable has already done that.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks guys, The small colour photo is more recent and meant to be my I.D. photo instead of a blank in my members box. The other two must have been taken over 32 years ago.
"Ah, but I was so much older then and I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Ken,
Thanks, Deb and I love the pics.
First looks like a 'blimey' moment.

Second I remember the article and you were out of wood. Writer confused ebauchon with plateaux.

Third looks really early, before we'd met, perhaps 1980?. Barry looks like he just finished a session with the Animals (rock group).

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
TPC sold Tilsheads (2nds) for less than the replacement cost of the briar, and they were more than 40% of production. This is an unsmoked Tilshead Natural that was recently offered on eBay.
Tilshead Natural - eBay, 11-26-2015
Picture referenced below
I don’t have this pipe in hand but from the several pictures in the listing, the only reason(s) that this pipe was made into a Tilshead are the flaw, (dark spot just above the middle of the bowl that looks like the tiny letters ‘nl’), a few, light, sand spots to its right and a spot (another picture) toward the back of the bowl. Tilshead Naturals were unstained so they neither hid flaws nor highlighted grain, (most, like this example had excellent grain). This is a large pipe (2-¾” tall) so it could have been topped. (remove the briar from the flaw upwards), but many, if not most, pipe makers simply would have used a darker stain and sold it as smooth, straight grain but these imperfections were too egregious to have allowed this pipe to be branded as an Upshall.
The TPC mission statement was (I paraphrase), “To make the finest quality, perfect and smooth English Freehand pipes from the finest quality briar” and this pipe indicates how seriously TPC took their credo. If Ken or Barry thought the flaws too severe the pipe was used as a training bowl or scrapped.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a gutsy move by Upshall in applying that light stain.
Btw, that seller (Mr. TV-F) is Mel Feldmans son (he owned an Albany/NY shop, he was known as Mr. Barlings)

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
SSJones said...

That is a gutsy move by Upshall in applying that light stain.

Btw, that seller (Mr. TV-F) is Mel Feldmans son (he owned an Albany/NY shop, he was known as Mr. Barlings)
No stain.
Mel was a customer of ours but I never got to his store.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Regarding the qualities of James Upshall Pipes, between 1978 and 1988 the grades were XX, X, E, G, B, P, S (red). I cannot recall 'A' or a Dark Tan Upshall nor can I remember other markings relating to size although I do remember Barry bringing up the subject on occasions. I wanted the grade (price) not to reflect the size, rather to reflect on how clean the pipe was, the grain, the shape, correlation (proportion) and balance. On reflection, it may have been more beneficial to incorporate sizes as a way of kicking up the price...who knows? I remember at Charatan's shop (in Jermyn Street) receiving a Charatan Supreme (for a new mouthpiece repair) from an American visitor at the time I was 17 years old and wild about straight grains such as this. After studying it for a while I noticed it had a 'S' on the shank next to the word Supreme. I asked my father what it meant and he then realised that this stamp was added after the pipes left the factory and were being inspected by Herman in New York. I think my father suggested to Lane that they could stamp these at the factory if he wanted! I then recall the Charatan markings '100' '200' '300' on some straight grains. These markings were added by Lane when he 're-graded' (re-selected) some of them in New York.

On another tangent, I did place some vintage Charatan Catalogues/brochures on ebay the other day (not yet on the U.S. site) and the bidder was Jamesupshallpipeco. I then looked at the items this bidder was selling and I noticed some of the James Upshall Tilshead Pipes were Tilshead Pipes (seconds) with JU engraved on the mouthpieces, and expensive. I was saddened by this and I think it is regrettable that someone could 'tarnish' their product for the sake of making a bit more money. This does spell the end of this product in my opinion. I do not think this is naivety on my part but the innocence of a purist.

Reactions: Kottan

robski

Lurker
Aug 30, 2013
Tilshead pipes have had the JU on the mouthpiece since the late 1990's, so I don't really see how this be deemed to "tarnish the product". And as for the price, it strikes me as reasonable for the quality - yes there may be a flaw or pits, but never any fills.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
"Tilshead pipes have had the JU on the mouthpiece since the late 1990's, so I don't really see how this be deemed to "tarnish the product". And as for the price, it strikes me as reasonable for the quality - yes there may be a flaw or pits, but never any fills."

Please accept my apologies for that, you can tell how far removed from James Upshall I have been since I left the company in 1988!I am constantly learning every day.