PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Over the years I have owned a few Upshall's. They all smoked fine, but they used the cheap sulfur laden vulcanite for their stems. If you looked at them funny they would oxidize. I decided they were too much works especially since I could get the high quality German vulcanite for roughly the same cost.
True that. They used the same source as Charatan.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
True that. They used the same source as Charatan.
I spoke with Briarworks about getting replacement stems for both brands. They can fabricate the stem with the logo as well. This includes the comfort stem for Charatans. This means you have a decent stem for everyday smoking and the original one for resale if you sell the pipe. It’s a great solution, I think.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
They know the market. I fairly recently traded in two pipes to SP and was embarrassed by what they offered me. Of course I took the offer, embarrassment being no match for greed. I was further embarrassed by their asking price when they finally went up for sale. I thought they had really f'ed up. One sold almost instantly, and the other within a week. These were not of a premium marque. I was thinking in two figures, they in three. Markets move.

I know this is an older comment, but I was going to send a few in to them as well (have done so before), but then I read their stipulations.

If I remember correctly, if you wanted store credit, you would get 55% of what they valued the pipe at and less than that for cash in hand.

I get they have to make money and whatnot, but if I know I have a pipe worth $200-$250, I just dont think I could take $100 for it and call it good now. Guess it depends on how bad you want the cash/credit though.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I’m thinking about getting another upshall. But this one has the slightest crack at the end of the with a silver bank. I know the value is gone, but it should still be a good smoke correct? Would any Of you take the chance? The price is great and the shape of it other than of course the crack of course. Just curious if i should pass or not. Oh and it has a replacement acrylic stem. EBF1AE29-EE48-472D-A4F2-7C07A636911E.jpeg

Reactions: Briar Lee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I’m thinking about getting another upshall. But this one has the slightest crack at the end of the with a silver bank. I know the value is gone, but it should still be a good smoke correct? Would any Of you take the chance? The price is great and the shape of it other than of course the crack of course. Just curious if i should pass or not. Oh and it has a replacement acrylic stem. View attachment 165468
If you really like it. And the price is right .
And you're not thinking of possible resale down the track.

The cracked shank, repair band and replacement stem would drop the price quite substantially, I would think.

I have bought quite a few damaged pipes because I've liked something about them. Of course I did not pay over the odds for them. And I don't care about any resale value they may, or may not have.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I love this forum because I learn something new about every day about pipes.

I known since I was a child that most of the finest things available at any price are hand made in England.

Every suit I’ve worn for forty years, is basically a tailor made copy of the genuine article made on Saville Row.

I’ve heard of James Upshall, but didn’t realize how righteous the company was.

My quest for an Upshall begins today.

Thanks for all the information.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
If you really like it. And the price is right .
And you're not thinking of possible resale down the track.

The cracked shank, repair band and replacement stem would drop the price quite substantially, I would think.

I have bought quite a few damaged pipes because I've liked something about them. Of course I did not pay over the odds for them. And I don't care about any resale value they may, or may not have.
@OzPiper thanks for your reply! I just really like it. im not looking to ever sell my upshalls. The kids or wife can deal with that one day.

Reactions: OzPiper

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin

I known since I was a child that most of the finest things available at any price are hand made in England.

Every suit I’ve worn for forty years, is basically a tailor made copy of the genuine article made on Saville Row.

Thanks for all the information.
I stumbled across an upshall about 2 months ago and since, I also, was on the same mission as you are. i now have the magnificent 7. since you are starting off there’s a really nice estate Tilshead for 90$ on the Bay right now.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I’m thinking about getting another upshall. But this one has the slightest crack at the end of the with a silver bank. I know the value is gone, but it should still be a good smoke correct? Would any Of you take the chance? The price is great and the shape of it other than of course the crack of course. Just curious if i should pass or not. Oh and it has a replacement acrylic stem. View attachment 165468
Like you I'd be tempted but that split appears to be travelling. I'd pass.....plenty more fish in the sea.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I was able to buy a Tilshead for $75 on eBay.

DD7988D0-71A3-4868-BCC5-9F33183C7A51.jpeg77821889-34B2-4B16-9715-EEE1934050FB.jpegB5795AD1-70DD-48E7-8E39-4141762F4ED8.jpegIt certainly appears to be a well made, beautifully stained and highly styled creation.

Every pipe maker since the first one has exactly the same problems as Lee dealt with 75 years ago, and James Upshall deals with today.

The raw material for the cheapest and most expensive pipe in the maker’s line up is exactly the same.

Lee had to select his briar so that a dollar Briarlee looked like a bargain and so did a twenty five dollar Five Star. The first task of any consumer product is to catch a customer.

Just like Lee, on the base model Tilshead the customer in the London shop got a beautiful pipe, made from the same materials as the best one there, by the same hands, only with stain and probably a few fills.

They’ll all smoke the same.

Notice that really high end pipes like a Lee or James Upshall are not glossy. They glow rather than shine. That’s as true for their cheapest as their best.

Is there any way to date an Upshall?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I was able to buy a Tilshead for $75 on eBay.

View attachment 165654View attachment 165655View attachment 165656It certainly appears to be a well made, beautifully stained and highly styled creation.

Every pipe maker since the first one has exactly the same problems as Lee dealt with 75 years ago, and James Upshall deals with today.

The raw material for the cheapest and most expensive pipe in the maker’s line up is exactly the same.
Lee had to select his briar so that a dollar Briarlee looked like a bargain and so did a twenty five dollar Five Star. The first task of any consumer product is to catch a customer.

Just like Lee, on the base model Tilshead the customer in the London shop got a beautiful pipe, made from the same materials as the best one there, by the same hands, only with stain and probably a few fills.

They’ll all smoke the same.

Notice that really high end pipes like a Lee or James Upshall are not glossy. They glow rather than shine. That’s as true for their cheapest as their best.

Is there any way to date an Upshall?
Tilshead is a second line. There would have been some minor flaw, even if it was something as insignificant as a sand pit in the chamber.

All Tilshead pipes were stained, seconds and the Upshall line. Any sand pits on the Tilsheads (seconds) were not filled, they were left as is.

A Tilshead is levels above most other pipes in terms of quality.

I'm guessing that the unique finish sanding was Barry's work.

Most pipes are not finished to a high polish. And any comparison of Tilsheads to a Lee is like comparing a Yugo to a Lamborghini.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

@Briar Lee
At the top of the Forum Home page, just below "Forum Rules and Terminology"
is "Ken Barnes Posts on Charatan and Upshall"

This is firsthand information on Upshall (and Charatan) you will likely never find anywhere else.