PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The stems were why I bailed on James Upshall. Before he passed, and when he started re-making his own brand pipes, Ken Barnes said he now wished they had invested more in Upshall stems. Definitely the weak link. The ones I had (mostly P grades, but some S) started oxidizing just by looking at them. My one giant Upshall, with Barry Jones custom silver ring, I keep wrapped in saran wrap and in the dark. My other remaining Upshall, a B grade silver spigot, has a Cumberland stem and holds up well.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well, in any case, it would seem somebody is misinformed...

Dressed up here in a warm, chestnut stain that amplifies the sleekness of the shape's stoic lines, and boasting the English marque's "A" grade which denotes pipes made of briar of the highest quality, this unsmoked gem would make a handsome addition to any collection.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Dressed up here in a warm, chestnut stain that amplifies the sleekness of the shape's stoic lines, and boasting the English marque's "A" grade which denotes pipes made of briar of the highest quality, this unsmoked gem would make a handsome addition to any collection.
Poetic license I guess.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Stain amplifies the sleekness of the shape's stoic lines... Well I guess the stoic nature of the darker stain is that it hides the lesser quality of the briar on this particular grade of Upshall. And it's about as sleek as the plumbing in my basement. Word salad.

Reactions: LotusEater

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet

Yeah, looks like someone missed on this one. Maybe they will correct it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As I read through the descriptions of the new crop of estates, I wonder if somebody sent out a memo that required the use of “sleek” and “stoic” in a certain percentage of the descriptions…?

Reactions: ofafeather

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
It seems that eBay attracts those who think that everything they have is priceless. Of course with that are the entrepreneurs looking for a buck, as well as the hype lords who think sham wow commercials are instructional videos.

The good sellers are far outnumbered by the clowns, and it gets tiresome.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
It seems that eBay attracts those who think that everything they have is priceless. Of course with that are the entrepreneurs looking for a buck, as well as the hype lords who think sham wow commercials are instructional videos.

The good sellers are far outnumbered by the clowns, and it gets tiresome.
eBay has always been the Wild West...

As far as people thinking that something old is worth a fortune, that trend started decades ago, when second hand stores started calling themselves antique shops.

You're gonna love my nuts...

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
*was just excited he bought a Upshall pipe … leaves thread* ?

Well for the record this is the pipe and I’ll enjoy it regardless, but school me so i know in the future. What would you in the know types pay for it? It’s in wonderful condition.

0093149B-B15D-48C8-9295-F5F7798A3859.jpeg
5BB0375B-69F0-4BFF-A993-861789669066.jpeg
EF8EB2B1-0249-4806-93EF-4556787FD4D0.jpeg
7BA34D6F-873F-4E5B-86BE-DCD6FF0686E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jensen and dPero

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
No clue about value but that is a very nice looking pipe, hope you have many sweet smokes from it!
I think it’s gorgeous, like i said I’m happy with it even if it’s a $60 pipe, but i have to learn somehow and I’d rather have those that know pass on the knowledge, can learn a lot on the web but it’s always nice when people explain things, so much knowledge here in general that I’ve learned a ton.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The best bargain I ever had from SP, and I think I've had a few, was in 2013 when they had Ser Jacopo on sale. I had a windfall from a project and rewarded myself with a new SJ Dublin blast with a serpentine shank and saddle stem for $175. I couldn't touch it for that as a new or estate pipe today.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
*was just excited he bought a Upshall pipe … leaves thread* ?

Well for the record this is the pipe and I’ll enjoy it regardless, but school me so i know in the future. What would you in the know types pay for it? It’s in wonderful condition.

View attachment 150110
View attachment 150111
View attachment 150112
View attachment 150113
Early to mid 1990’s pipe. Barry Jones may have had a hand in making the pipe. The FH and group size indication put it in the later category.

If you indeed paid $60 for it then you got a really good deal. It’s still a higher grade Upshall. If I was selling same I would probably start around the $200 mark.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Early to mid 1990’s pipe. Barry Jones may have had a hand in making the pipe. The FH and group size indication put it in the later category.

If you indeed paid $60 for it then you got a really good deal. It’s still a higher grade Upshall. If I was selling same I would probably start around the $200 mark.
Thanks for the info and no my “i don’t care if it’s worth 60” was just my way of saying the cost wasn’t an issue, but to your benefit my winning bud was 208 and my max was 210, so you were spot on. That’s awesome.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I have 6 upshalls and the first one I was really worried it was going to oxidize bad As it was in terrible shape when I got it, but so far I haven’t had any issues either.