PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
I believe they were a small, private shop prior.
TP when it was based in FL was a small e-commerce business with a wholesale side.

When Sutliff bought a majority stake in TP, the operations were moved to Richmond, VA. Some staff relocated but the original TP owners are still involved as a minority and are in FL.

Had an opportunity to meet up with Ben during the CORPS Richmond show. TP operates from the second floor of the Sutliff building and we only got to see the shipping area on the first floor during the Sutliff tours.

My understanding is TP is operated independently from the Sutliff operations including separate inventory.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
TP when it was based in FL was a small e-commerce business with a wholesale side.

When Sutliff bought a majority stake in TP, the operations were moved to Richmond, VA. Some staff relocated but the original TP owners are still involved as a minority and are in FL.

Had an opportunity to meet up with Ben during the CORPS Richmond show. TP operates from the second floor of the Sutliff building and we only got to see the shipping area on the first floor during the Sutliff tours.

My understanding is TP is operated independently from the Sutliff operations including separate inventory.
Yeah the separate working operations makes sense. Protects them.

Reactions: sfduke

Paul Woe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2021
STC Holdings, a sister company to Sutliff, I placed my 1st order from them got an invoice and paid it now they are trying to extort more money from me before they ship the stuff I paid for. And paypal is trying to force me to join them and give them all kinds of personal info which I refused to do. I will NEVER order from them again

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
STC Holdings, a sister company to Sutliff, I placed my 1st order from them got an invoice and paid it now they are trying to extort more money from me before they ship the stuff I paid for. And paypal is trying to force me to join them and give them all kinds of personal info which I refused to do. I will NEVER order from them again
Need more context. This is a strange post.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Paul Woe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2021
Customer service is still exceptional. I placed an order on Friday. They emailed me today that 6 of the tins were out of stock. They asked if I wanted something else in the same range. I change the tins to ones that were $3 a tin more and told them I would pay the difference. They said sorry for the inconvenience and covered the change.

Paul Woe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2021
owned by STC Holdings, a sister company to Sutliff in Richmond, Va. I placed my 1st order from them got an invoice and paid it now they are trying to extort more money from me before they ship the stuff I paid for. And paypal is trying to force me to join them and give them all kinds of personal info which I refused to do. I will NEVER order from them again

Paul Woe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2021
strange ? I placed an order was quoted the price plus shipping I paid for it then an hour or so later paypal said they needed more money to complete the order PLUS I had to join paypal by giving them a lot of private info . I typed slow so you will understand

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
So TP is now owned by MB, as they own STC (not to be confused with either STGs), who makes stuff for WCC and SPC - but not the SPC, who like C&D are owned by Laudisi (acronym needed)
What is WCC?

Also, STG owns both Lane and pipesandcigars.com. So now Mac Baren has a stake in a US based retailer: tobaccopipes.com. They bought Sutliff awhile ago.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
strange ? I placed an order was quoted the price plus shipping I paid for it then an hour or so later paypal said they needed more money to complete the order PLUS I had to join paypal by giving them a lot of private info . I typed slow so you will understand
I'm a little confused, so you put in an order, you were then later invoiced for it, paid the invoice then PayPal said you needed to pay more money and required private info?

Just so you know how 99% of orders go for everyone else: you fill up a cart, go to checkout, you're presented with the subtotal, taxes and shipping costs. Then you fill in your shipping/billing info. Then you pay with a credit card and they ship it to you that day or the next day.

There's no invoices and no PayPal unless you specifically chose to use PayPal. PayPal does require you to have an account, obviously, because they're essentially a digital only banking service. Even then you can just use your existing debit/credit card through PayPal as a proxy.

So, again, I'm confused how you ended up with an invoice, partial payment and having to set up a PayPal account after the fact. The last part sounds like PayPal was doing it's due diligence to make sure you are who you say you are. Like I said they are a digital bank/payment processesor and are required by law to confirm someone's identity within reason.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Under their label: EGR, 507c, mixture 79, revelation match, edgeworth match, voodoo queen.

Made by them: supervalue chocolate, plum pudding SR, watchcity slices and #558.

I’m sure there would be heaps more but I’ve never got the chance to try. That said, I experienced chemical burn from their crème brûlée and I couldn’t taste for a fortnight, and there have been many blends of theirs which I haven’t fancied at all

Reactions: romaso

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
No need for the tone of the post. There are many members here who buy from TP regularly and, to my knowledge, there has never been a report of anything like that of which you complain. In fact, many of us have frequently lauded TP for their customer service as it is right there alongside SP in doing the right thing.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Glad to see this. My Mom is visiting Florida so I thought I would order some tobacco and have it shipped to her so she could bring it home for me. Not enough time if they’re not in Florida anymore.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Glad to see this. My Mom is visiting Florida so I thought I would order some tobacco and have it shipped to her so she could bring it home for me. Not enough time if they’re not in Florida anymore.
Send her out for dinner with Hoosier and condorlover. You’ll get a good stash and she’ll get an education