PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
So because I can. And have 50 lifetimes of vaccubags and foil tape available. I tape my tins and vacuum bag them now.

But I decided to try it on a C&D tin.... Do any of you think this is bad?

Im not here to discuss whether or not any of this is necessary.

Just worried that I can see the Poptop shape in the lid now.. Its the only one I've done I figured its another excuse to use up these bags. But if this is gonna damage the cans I won't. I know some of you here store this way so I hope you can chime in here.

I keep all my tobacco in Coleman Coolers in these bags (aside from jars which are in a big tote)

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Attachments

• 20211010_212503.jpg
    20211010_212503.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211010_212512.jpg
    20211010_212512.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As long as the tins' seals are intact it should be fine. Gasses escaping a leaking tin react badly with some plastics and can form an unstable compound called tobaccanite. When tobaccanite is kept in ambient temperatures between 60-75°F it's safe. Anything above or below can cause the compound to explode.

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
As long as the tins' seals are intact it should be fine. Gasses escaping a leaking tin react badly with some plastics and can form an unstable compound called tobaccanite. When tobaccanite is kept in ambient temperatures between 60-75°F it's safe. Anything above or below can cause the compound to explode.
You got me there for a sec. I even looked it up

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Cool just check the shelf life expectancy on that thickness.

Some forum members have cautioned against vacuum sealing tins as the pressure may cause the factory seal to pop - I still seal my tins, but I originally sealed some stuff in 3mil food saver grade bags and have since resealed them in mylar bag as I didn’t realise that after a couple of years they can let vapour/oxygen out. I now use micro channel vacuum bags for sealing as they offer the same protection as 7mil Mylar but can still be used with a domestic food sealer ✌?

Reactions: seanv

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Cool just check the shelf life expectancy on that thickness.

Some forum members have cautioned against vacuum sealing tins as the pressure may cause the factory seal to pop - I still seal my tins, but I originally sealed some stuff in 3mil food saver grade bags and have since resealed them in mylar bag as I didn’t realise that after a couple of years they can let vapour/oxygen out. I now use micro channel vacuum bags for sealing as they offer the same protection as 7mil Mylar but can still be used with a domestic food sealer ✌?
Care to link the bags you use?

Also I'm sure it doesn't help but thats why I foil tape the tins ans hold them down whilst the bag seals....figure that eliminates any reverse vacuum unsealing magic.

Reactions: seanv and Ahi Ka

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
I’m based in New Zealand so this is what I use. Mylar is incredibly expensive here too.

Thank you!
Oh yeah..those are kinda pricy. Im in the US.
If you want to....I would appreciate If you or anyone else could help me locate something similar.

There aren't really a ton of specs on this besides the description sounding awesome. And of course everything on Amazon is like "WE HAVE THE BEST BAGS! NEVER FAILS"...etc.

i don't even know where to begin.

Edit: If i do search for "Micro channel bags"
They all seem to be AU or NZ websites...quite a few.

Are they called something else In other parts of the world?

Reactions: seanv