PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Screw the bags, what kind of vacuum sealer are you using that gets that kind of "suck"? I am going to need a new one soon...

Screw the bags, what kind of vacuum sealer are you using that gets that kind of "suck"? I am going to need a new one soon...
Honestly? A chinese knockoff vacuum sealer. I threw out my FoodSaver stuff because it was "meh" and finicky.

Brand is ENZOO on Amazon. Ive used it to seal a bunch of nonperishable food and store in buckets years ago and theyre all holding up well. Its a workhorse

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I don't know why you'd want to vacuum pack the tins. Seems like a waste to me. I understand why you'd put it in a bag but why vacuum. Totally unnecessary.
I do it because it feels tidier for storage, also my sealer has a manual function so I can use it to get more air out of the bag than by just pressing but turn it off before creating a vacuum seal. I do the same with ropes just so they don’t turn into a big plug of shit

Reactions: kcghost

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Apparently...

Why anyone would vacuum seal a hermetically sealed tin is beyond me. You're one of those belt and suspender guys...
And that's completely fine. I included it in my OP because I didn't want to hear it. Why someone would read that then feel the need to say it anyway baffles me. I wasn't asking for help determining if people thought what I was doing was necessary or even helpful. Simply wanted to know if it was causing damage.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
What people will do with and to tobacco never fails to amaze me. I'm not knocking the OP so please don't take this wrong. Its yours do what you will with it. For the life of me though, I don't know why you would want to seal a sealed tin. Would you do the same thing to a can of soda or Tuna? If you have a tin that is physically compromised from shipping or banged up, okay sure...but a good clean can? I don't know...maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I come from the Cuban Cigar world, and let me tell you. Those guys are craaaazzzyyy about the stuff they would do. Wrap the box in foil, then air bag it. All with a boveda in it. Tobacco is a robust product. It will be fine.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I
Apparently...

Why anyone would vacuum seal a hermetically sealed tin is beyond me. You're one of those belt and suspender guys...
In my mind, one perk to doing this would be inhibiting moisture to the tins, which could cause then to rust. Now are these tins now manufactured using aluminum or steel, I'm not sure. I don't think rust would ever be an issue if they are all aluminum

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
when in doubt stick with the traditional methods that work. Or in short if you're worried it might damage the cans why add that extra worry? It's probably fine, but what's most certainly fine is leaving them as is or transferring them to another container and then vacuum sealing that.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I seal my sealed tins as an extra safe guard. Tobacco is becoming essentially no longer available in my country, so I cannot afford to take a 5% or so risk of failure. Sometimes I am tempted to pop all my tins and jar them, but so far I haven’t purely because of their trade value
Me too (well, not the availability), but the temptation you mention. For me, I mylar bag all my cellar, regardless of packaging. Mark said mylar works best for him and he's got a smidgen of experience with cellaring :) That's good enough for me LOL
kindly
mike

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I smoked I had one method to keep tobacco that I wasn't going to smoke immediately: jars. Always the same method, and it always worked: jars. I had about 1000. Never thought anymore about it.

Jars, just jars.