PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
A couple of months ago I had a catastrophic failure of a wall anchor for my wall mounted pipe rack in the middle of the night. I got up to see what the noise was about and found 5 pipes on the floor. ?
Three landed on an area rug nearby the other two on the concrete floor. The result was two broken stems. Little or no damage to the briar. I sent them off to Boswell pipes for new stems. They came back with beautiful new stems. I went to the hardware store and bought a sturdy wall mounting bracket for the pipe rack. No more mishaps.
View attachment 139788
The Calabash on top and the black poker on the middle shelf, 2nd from the right are the ones that were repaired.

Very glad that the damage was relatively mild. You have a lovely collection there!

Best regards,
C.Rorrer

Reactions: Fralphog

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
New iPod hitting the pavement isn’t a good sound either… and then that squeamish glance as your eyes begin to focus on the cracked screen?

I'm with you, but technically there are no new iPods.

A few days ago, I mistakenly referred to my own 17-year-old or so gen 5.5 iPod (which I love) as a "Walkman" and I was mocked relentlessly by both my son and my wife.

I'm a dinosaur.

C.Rorrer

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
The sound of my colleague clearing his throat every few seconds for 12 hours a day might just be worse. I’ve purchased 3 pairs of noise cancelling ear buds and it still drives me absolutely nuts! I feel like I work with a sick dog. The best part is when he hacks up a loogie and spits it in a napkin, makes me gag every time. I just can’t wait till we start working remotely.

Sorry, I saw this thread and used it as an opportunity to vent, I’m sorry about your pipe, that sucks!

No apologies necessary. But your comment makes me grateful that I work with no one but myself. But truth be told, I'm pretty annoying, too. Even to myself. :)

C.Rorrer

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I'm with you, but technically there are no new iPods.

A few days ago, I mistakenly referred to my own 17-year-old or so gen 5.5 iPod (which I love) as a "Walkman" and I was mocked relentlessly by both my son and my wife.

I'm a dinosaur.

C.Rorrer
Ha… I typed i P h o n e. For some reason spellcheck changes it to iPod without the spaces.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dropping a pipe, especially a favorite pipe, is definitely a moment.

I can’t find the photo, because I’m lazy, but it’s of me in a burned out building with trusses bowed by both water weight and structural collapse.

The photo is awesome because about a minute after the photo, the entire truss system gave way. I used up another of my nine lives and ruined a perfectly good pair of pants.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Back in 1963 I had my first Castello and my first car ('58 MG-A). Like a dumbass, I placed the pipe up on the dash and forgot it was there. Later I took off in the car with the top down and the first corner I rounded my eye just caught a glimpse of the pipe sliding across the dash and out the car like a rocket. I actually heard it hit the pavement. Oh, crap, $25 down the drain! I turned around the went back expecting the worse, but to my great surprise there she was on the side of the street against the curb and without the scratch. I still smoke this pipe all the time and to this day she looks the same as she did when she was a year old. Not even any bite marks on the stem. And yes, I do have teeth. puffy

Reactions: rorrer and Fralphog

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
No apologies necessary. But your comment makes me grateful that I work with no one but myself. But truth be told, I'm pretty annoying, too. Even to myself. :)

C.Rorrer
Haha, yeah, you work with someone for 12 hours a day, you are bound to get on each other’s nerves. I’m sure he’s cussing under his breath about me.

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Back in 1963 I had my first Castello and my first car ('58 MG-A). Like a dumbass, I placed the pipe up on the dash and forgot it was there. Later I took off in the car with the top down and the first corner I rounded my eye just caught a glimpse of the pipe sliding across the dash and out the car like a rocket. I actually heard it hit the pavement. Oh, crap, $25 down the drain! I turned around the went back expecting the worse, but to my great surprise there she was on the side of the street against the curb and without the scratch. I still smoke this pipe all the time and to this day she looks the same as she did when she was a year old. Not even any bite marks on the stem. And yes, I do have teeth. puffy

Any pipe that survives that is definitely a keeper! I wouldn't mind a spin in an MGA right now, either. I'm a bit younger, but when I was 18 or so I had a '69 MGBGT that I loved. Drove that little thing everywhere until it got totaled in an accident. I then moved on to an Austin Healey Sprite that was probably the most hateful car I've ever owned, to this day.

Lots of memories, though. Mostly of breaking down and having to walk somewhere. :)

C.Rorrer