PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I've had much worse. One of our cats loves to climb up on shelves, the higher the better. Last month he got into my library where I keep my pipes and decided to explore the shelf where several of my pipes were sitting knocking 12 of them 51/2 feet to the wood floor below and unfortunately there were casualties. 5 tenons were broken

The culpritView attachment 139772

The Pipes
View attachment 139762
Ugh, well that just sucks!

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've had much worse. One of our cats loves to climb up on shelves, the higher the better. Last month he got into my library where I keep my pipes and decided to explore the shelf where several of my pipes were sitting knocking 12 of them 51/2 feet to the wood floor below and unfortunately there were casualties. 5 tenons were broken

The Pipes
View attachment 139762
Ouch

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The sound of my colleague clearing his throat every few seconds for 12 hours a day might just be worse. I’ve purchased 3 pairs of noise cancelling ear buds and it still drives me absolutely nuts! I feel like I work with a sick dog. The best part is when he hacks up a loogie and spits it in a napkin, makes me gag every time. I just can’t wait till we start working remotely.

Sorry, I saw this thread and used it as an opportunity to vent, I’m sorry about your pipe, that sucks!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I was at the Shelter Palms Hotel on Shelter Island in San Diego. I was smoking a Nording F Moss series freestyle pipe from the balcony of the hotel room. Leaning up against the rails, I was about 20 feet up. The pipe slipped from my teeth and tumbled to the concrete below. Yes, I was upset. To my relief, the stem had broken free of the military mount and showed no damage. As for the pipe itself, only the nearest of a nick in the top rustication of the rim. I easily rubbed it out and dyed it back to black. One would never know this pipe took a dive for the worst from 20 feet above to concrete below. If only my other drops had been so fortunate.

Mar 1, 2014

The Pipes
View attachment 139762

This is another reason I prefer a 9mm tenon.

Even twisting the stem off a wet pipe feels risky sometimes, but not so much with a proper chonky large tenon.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
A couple of months ago I had a catastrophic failure of a wall anchor for my wall mounted pipe rack in the middle of the night. I got up to see what the noise was about and found 5 pipes on the floor. ?
Three landed on an area rug nearby the other two on the concrete floor. The result was two broken stems. Little or no damage to the briar. I sent them off to Boswell pipes for new stems. They came back with beautiful new stems. I went to the hardware store and bought a sturdy wall mounting bracket for the pipe rack. No more mishaps.
image.jpg
The Calabash on top and the black poker on the middle shelf, 2nd from the right are the ones that were repaired.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
worst sound I heard was...
I had a dead tooth that had to be snapped out of my head. I choose to not get put under and trust me there is something horrible about hearing a bone snap coming from inside your head. They have you hooked up to a monitor that shows your bp and damn it spiked hard for a few seconds after that sound.
I didn't even like reading that story...I'm glad I didn't have to hear it!

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I’m sorry that I laughed out loud when I read you yelled like a girl. Lol because I totally know what you experienced

Reactions: Fralphog

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
That's a bad sound. The squeak, followed by the snap of a cracking shank from stupidly forcing an overly tight stem is a bad one too. What's even worse, is hearing it more than once in your life when you know better. ?

Oof ... I've not yet had that happen. Hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that. :)

C.Rorrer

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Considering the number of non-pipe-related things shared here, and more than few comments that I would consider a bit snide, I'll certainly think twice before sharing a thought that was intended with humor, and in a pipe-smoking context.

Of course there are worse sounds, far worse. I was just sharing a moment from my day.

Enjoy the "worst sounds" competition. Sorry I brought it up. Sheesh.

C.Rorrer

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Onto a more pleasant side: A save! Anyone got a story on how he saved a pipe from shattering?

I have one: Pipe slipped out of hand. Foot went out instinctively and kicked it onto carpet. One save only.

Thank you very much for the pleasant side note. I was at least very relieved that my pipe wasn't damaged. I don't drop many, but I do work outdoors while smoking. Some have some battle scars.

C.Rorrer

Reactions: jpmcwjr