Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
No. Not threatened. Some forms are more under attack than others (flavored vapes) and sometimes our beloved pipe tobacco gets lumped in with these, but overall I think it's far more under attack in other places (see: Australia).

Also, I'm not sure online sales will ever be completely banned. Perhaps by certain states, but I think the ubiquitousness of e-commerce will prevent that from happening. As long as internet sales sites have strong tools to verify the age of buyers, I think we'll be ok.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a hidden stash of money set aside in case they trying to ban the sale of pipe tobacco. The thing to remember is that there is very seldom a law passed that goes into effect (or is it affect?) immediately. This provides the opportunity to start binge buying. That's something I did immediately after the child healthcare act got passed.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
There have been laws proposed that would outlaw all sales that are not face to face. This would effectively shut down all remote sales of tobacco. So far, none of them have made it through to a vote.
The biggest threat might eventually be a dearth of available pipe quality tobacco being grown here in the US. There's a lot less of it than there used to be.
But outisde of the guillotine blade that's dropping next August 8th, I don't see any immediate threat.
What happens August 8?

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
There have been laws proposed that would outlaw all sales that are not face to face. This would effectively shut down all remote sales of tobacco. So far, none of them have made it through to a vote.

Living in an age of Zoom and other interactive web technologies, one would think the face-to-face definition could be largely worked-through. It's interesting that at the same time face-to-face is being proposed for tobacco sales, the alcohol sales laws are loosening and services for liquor store to door delivery are booming...someone has a better lobby, I suspect. Of course, the tobacco folks also muddied the waters, to their own detriment, over cigarettes.

Reactions: Casual

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a hidden stash of money set aside in case they trying to ban the sale of pipe tobacco. The thing to remember is that there is very seldom a law passed that goes into effect (or is it affect?) immediately. This provides the opportunity to start binge buying. That's something I did immediately after the child healthcare act got passed.
What? You bought children?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What happens August 8?
Under the current FDA Deeming Rules all tobacco blends that were introduced into the US market after February 15th 2007 have to go through a deeming process to remain available for sale after August 8th 2021, or in a few cases, August 8th 2022. Blends that have not been through the deeming process will be not be available for sale after August 8th 2021, or August 8th 2022. The removes a considerable number of blends from the marketplace.

Anticipating your next question, no there isn't a directory where you can go to see which blends will be affected. You can use tobaccoreviews.com as a guide by looking for the earliest review to see it it was available before the Predicate date of February 15th 2007.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
No. Not threatened. Some forms are more under attack than others (flavored vapes) and sometimes our beloved pipe tobacco gets lumped in with these, but overall I think it's far more under attack in other places (see: Australia).

Also, I'm not sure online sales will ever be completely banned. Perhaps by certain states, but I think the ubiquitousness of e-commerce will prevent that from happening. As long as internet sales sites have strong tools to verify the age of buyers, I think we'll be ok.
My point was that every obstacle added to this industry has it's fallout. I don't think most of you guys would be happy if Big Tobacco was the last man standing and ALL you had was PA.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
My point was that every obstacle added to this industry has it's fallout. I don't think most of you guys would be happy if Big Tobacco was the last man standing and ALL you had was PA.
I got your point. I have a slightly different perspective. Every obstacle added to any industry is going to have some sort of fallout. But overall, I don't see pipe tobacco as being in danger of completely disappearing here any time soon, or even getting absolutely prohibitively expensive. Prices will rise as a result of a number of factors, but I don't see an Australia-like situation happening here soon.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I got your point. I have a slightly different perspective. Every obstacle added to any industry is going to have some sort of fallout. But overall, I don't see pipe tobacco as being in danger of completely disappearing here any time soon, or even getting absolutely prohibitively expensive. Prices will rise as a result of a number of factors, but I don't see an Australia-like situation happening here soon.
What happened in Australia?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.