Is Pipe Smoking Something That Grows on You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I have somewhat different advice, which is try a ribbon cut English blend. It will have flavors that will be easy to detect immediately. English blends have savory smokey flavors rather than sweet ones. Many of the sweet aromatic blends are difficult to master, this is especially true of Mac Baren blends. English is a different direction than the one you're heading in now but you may have better results.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
As has been said, try other blends. Aromatics seem to require all kinds of technique to enjoy. I think you have to take a class.

English has been mentioned as well and I agree. Try that as well as some codger stuff. If you do like Latakia (many or most do, not all) I think it's even more accessible. I used to enjoy English blends years ago when I was primarily a cigar smoker. The taste is from the tobacco and not the additives.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
It took me about 10 years to "get the hang of it."

That having been said, try to smoke more frequently than just once (or even twice) a day. Through practice comes discernment. It's difficult, for example, to identify the differences between red wines at first. Drink plenty of reds, unhurriedly, thoughtfully, reflectively.

So it is with pipe tobacco. It's natural that you only taste harsh tobacco at first because you haven't made it past that point yet.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
@Moshtaraq
I didn't see it mentioned, but where do you live? The over-the-counter blends may not be available where you are. It would be blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Half & Half and a very few others still available in the U.S.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I suppose it grew on me as I learned the proper technique. I quit a couple of times over the years but was always drawn back to it. For a long time I only smoked aromatics. I smoked too fast and the flavor quickly faded, leaving only a nasty ash taste. Smoking slowly and searching out the different tastes seems the best way to do it. One smoker on youtube described it as letting the heat release the essential oils of the tobacco, and sip them as you smoke your pipe.

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
You might consider seeking the relaxing campfire experience instead of the sweet fruits and spices of aromatics. Right now it's like being too close to the campfire but still OK. Gradually you'll move your chair farther back from the fire and can relax and enjoy the smoke and experience. Then still later (so I read here anyway, as I'm not there yet) you'll be more able to seek out quality aromatics and their flavors. For now I'm enjoying mostly VaPers, Englishes, and Virginias; not seeking fruits and sweets.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
The other side is what you are smoking in. Some briar pipes can smoke harsh until broken in, even expensive ones.

If you haven’t already, pick up a few Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes of medium size. Even a decent meerschaum is often more forgiving than briar (but much more delicate).

Look online for some medium strength blends, not necessarily flavored. You will probably have to dry the tobacco some before smoking. Mac Baren blends can bite and smoke hot so even though they sound appealing are not really best for beginners. They still get me!

Tobaccos will rarely taste like they smell in the tin, similar to coffee. I have rarely had coffee that tastes like it smells. Some blends can handle heavier puffing but in general, smoldering and sipping is better. The cooler, slower you can smoke, the better the flavor. Take your time. Let it go out, gently tamp and relight if it’s getting hot.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
The way you described it is accurate. I started smoking a pipe after seeing the neighboring farmer do it. While helping me out, he would get his pipe out of his shirt pocket, light it up, and keep talking about whatever it was without missing a beat. I went and picked up a pipe and tried it out, but it took me a bit to get into it. I went through a few packages of Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Sir Walter Raleigh before it really started clicking with me.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Stab in the dark here on the diagnosis but sounds like you may be making problems with the moisture and the cavendish. Feels like new pipers are steered towards aromatics in hopes to get more flavor but in reality something like Elizabethan Mixture or Nightcap might be a better place to start.
Elizabethan Mixture is a great suggestion, since it packs well and I'm finding that the moisture level is more often than not perfect right out of the tin. Try and tease out that plumy, sweet flavor--if you get it, then you are smoking it right, IMHO. Smoke it too fast though and it might taste ashy, though.
But that and Nightcap will give you two different and great tobacco profiles to try.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hi,

I'm new to pipesmoking. Did it a couple of years ago and gave it a second chance today. I'm facing the same problem I had years ago: I only get 1 taste and it's just a harsh unpleasant taste...

I remember my first beer being kind of the same, just a glass of bitter water. Now I love beer and search for new ones al the time. I was wondering if pipe smoking is just like that?

Thanks,
Mosh
After 35 years of smoking cigarettes and numerous quit attempts, I not ever thought that I'd get that monkey off my back.

Switching was easier than I thought. Pipe tobacco is so much tastier than cigarettes.
I've not craved for a ciggie in the ten years since I switched.

Smoking a pipe just got better as my packing and smoking experience grew.
Finding blends that suit your taste goes a long way towards ultimate enjoyment so buy yourself sampler packs and 1oz of bulk blends to get a range of different genres.

I like most mild, mild-medium blends of most genres.
At first stick to popular blends because they're popular for a reason.
If you find ones that aren't to your taste just jar/bag them and cellar because your tastes will change over time.

www.tobaccoreviews.com is an excellent resource to help choosing blends.
Pay particular attention to JimInks reviews which I've learned to trust.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
in my previous attempt an aromatic: McBaren vanilla but no vanilla.
And now Davidoff Argentina which is supposed to have a hint of honey. I know it's not a lot but I didn't want to spend more money on something I don't like.
I know this is an older post, but I thought I'd give you my experience with this since you mentioned Mac Baren Vanilla and it's one of my favorites. Mac Baren blends really require your sipping technique to be on target. They're not very forgiving with new pipe smokers. When I first tried Mac Baren blends I got nothing but burnt ash flavors and a hot pipe. I got some tips online and finally figured out how to sip properly. What I thought was sipping, was definitely not. Now I get nothing but wonderful creamy vanilla when I smoke that blend. It's a narrow zone you have to hit, but you'll know it when you get there. It was a real ah ha moment the first time I actually tasted Mac Baren Vanilla Cream properly after many failed attempts.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Buy a Savinelli Dry System pipe, make sure to order Balsa filters with it. Buy an easy smoking Burley like Pipes and Cigars Butternut Burley. Comes a little wet out of the bag. Nuke it on a paper towel for like 10 seconds. Fill your bowl, light it and enjoy. My guess is your smoking too fast and furious and not drying your tobacco enough. So it just smokes hot and wet, basically steam cooking your tongue. Of course those OTC blends others have mentioned are also burleys, but they're a little light on flavor and can burn hot if you tend to puff to hard.

Be patient and you'll sort out the technique. The pipe you use has a lot to do with it. I find the Savinelli dry system to be idiot proof. It's basically a knock off of the Peterson System pipes, but with the added bonus of the balsa filter. I get a super dry smoke even on hot humid summer days with full flavor from the blend I'm smoking. I wish I'd had one when I first started smoking. I encountered a lot of your frustration too.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I had my first beer at 3. Love at first sip. First smoke at 10, another bingo. But didn't drink coffee until well past 40. I guess smoking pipe grows on you, but if it tastes like crap why do you want to smoke it? Cigarettes, cigars, and pipes all just clicked with me. Love tobacco.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I had my first beer at 3. Love at first sip. First smoke at 10, another bingo. But didn't drink coffee until well past 40. I guess smoking pipe grows on you, but if it tastes like crap why do you want to smoke it? Cigarettes, cigars, and pipes all just clicked with me. Love tobacco.
I think there is that taste development aspect. Sometimes it takes time for something to click. Always hated beer. Then for some reason ordered a Sam Smith Brown Ale with lunch one day. Now I love it. Hated whiskey of any type then tasted this amazing Spanish solera brandy (not whisky) but that led me to other things. You just never know.
Coffeee took me years to move away from light and sweet and now I’ve been drinking it black for 20 years or more. (Except when my acid reflux kicks in. Then I need to add milk, take medicine or not drink it for a while. Still love it best black!)