Is Pipe Smoking Something That Grows on You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Moshtaraq

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
Hi,

I'm new to pipesmoking. Did it a couple of years ago and gave it a second chance today. I'm facing the same problem I had years ago: I only get 1 taste and it's just a harsh unpleasant taste...

I remember my first beer being kind of the same, just a glass of bitter water. Now I love beer and search for new ones al the time. I was wondering if pipe smoking is just like that?

Thanks,
Mosh

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hi,

I'm new to pipesmoking. Did it a couple of years ago and gave it a second chance today. I'm facing the same problem I had years ago: I only get 1 taste and it's just a harsh unpleasant taste...

I remember my first beer being kind of the same, just a glass of bitter water. Now I love beer and search for new ones al the time. I was wondering if pipe smoking is just like that?

Thanks,
Mosh
yes, that's a comparison I make all the time. ?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I will certainly improve my technique but I was smoking very slowly barely keeping it lit. Thanks for the advice, time will learn I guess.
No problem. And you may have fine technique. Hard to diagnose that kind of stuff on a forum. It’s just that usually when people mention bitterness, harshness, etc, they’re usually getting the tobacco too hot.
I came from cigars, and it took me a little while to get the tobacco to taste the way I knew it should. There’s definitely a learning curve.
Which blends have you tried?

Edit to add: Moisture can cause harshness too. Drying tobacco helps.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don't really know what you mean by that, what kind of blends are those?

Older blends that used to be sold in grocery stores and drug stores.. you may find these at some gas stations or cigarette stores as well. Where I live I mostly can't find pipe tobacco so I have to order this stuff.

Tobaccoreviews.com is a good place to read descriptions.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I tried a mix from a sort of local tobacco/pipe shop. It was good, but also strong. Then, I tried something from a tobacco company and it was mild and nutty, but dry. Probably some burley in there. Anyway, I had a hard time with tongue bite. Much of that is due to drawing or puffing too much , too often, or too long.
Pipe smoking is something that you enjoy like a high end coffee, wine, whisky or bourbon. It's even much as you said with beer. You can taste what you are drinking and it's different from the last one of a different type or grain or brewing style.
It may be that your beer is affecting your smoking. Maybe, just for a little experiment, try smoking it with something else to drink? There are mild and strong blends. Good luck. It isn't a big deal if you decide to put it down. You must be happy with whatever you are doing.