Is it Legal to Smoke a Pipe while Driving?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
71 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
59 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Where I live, if you look like this you are probably over 50 and own a multi-million dollar house, so you won't get pulled over.
I am over 50 and have a few houses... or, did I not understand the question?
To see where I live, just hover over my avatar, and it will tell you. Everyone should fill this out so that we don't have to ask when questions of temperature, humidity, or restrictions come up. Unless of course you are wanted by Homeland security... like @olkofri , the forum's very own cute little angry smoking bear. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where I live, if you look like this you are probably over 50 and own a multi-million dollar house, so you won't get pulled over.
And where, pray tell, is that? Aspen? Marin Co? L.A.?

How to put your location in your Profile!: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Please!

Reactions: damacene

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Because the long stem of a churchwarden allows you to do either or both of the following:
  • Hold the wheel with both hands and just lean slightly or not at all to sip from the pipe.
  • Rest the elbow of the hand holding the pipe on the console and comfortably sip with nary a head motion, thus keeping your sights on the road.
It's all about SAFE DRIVIING, my man! :col:
Au contraire, mon ami. That's just dangerous in any but clear freeway driving.
Besides not all of us are clenchers.
Yeah, if you can't clench for a moment when the driving gets hairy, you're s.o.l., and a Churchwarden isn't going to be a help if you have to flash your lights while swerving and changing the track because another Celine Dion abomination started playing.

Not picking on your fellow country women, just dislike her greatly and not because she is from Canada. You are Canadian, I know. If I were Canadian, I'd be happy and proud to announce that.

Last edited:
Reactions: olkofri

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To the original posters question; I have driven all across this country in nearly all 50 states in semi-trucks as well as motorcycles and passenger vehicles... As far as I am aware, there is no such law in any state preventing you from driving a vehicle while smoking your pipe.
Presuming you didn't smoke while on your bike!?
:)

Agree on no prohibition, with the caveat of distracted driving.... such as trying to pack the pipe with a "real technique", or relighting the bottom of the bowl with a short match, or....

Reactions: Streeper541

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Of course it's legal to drive a pipe while smoking. You'll destroy it, for sure, but it's your property and there's nothing to stop you if that's your thing.

View attachment 330333
Well, it's not a pipe, and he's not driving, but I get your point! I clench on putts, chips and short pitches. Am certain I'd bite the stem off on a full shot.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
This came up on the old Smokers Forums in the past.
A couple guys there had been pulled over because the cops thought they were smoking weed. Once the cops realized it was a tobacco pipe, all was good.
I have no idea if it's a law here,but I live in NYS, so it's most likely illegal.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
And where, pray tell, is that? Aspen? Marin Co? L.A.?

How to put your location in your Profile!: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Please!
LA, where I got pulled over for smoking my pipe was on Lincoln going up from Marina del Rey to Santa Monica.

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I am over 50 and have a few houses... or, did I not understand the question?
To see where I live, just hover over my avatar, and it will tell you. Everyone should fill this out so that we don't have to ask when questions of temperature, humidity, or restrictions come up. Unless of course you are wanted by Homeland security... like @olkofri , the forum's very own cute little angry smoking bear. puffy
I was making a joke that long hair, torn up jeans, and a band T-Shirt is the uniform of a wealthy baby boomer in West LA. Young hoodlums who are going to get shaken down by the cops tend to be cleaner cut with diamond studs and shaved heads