Is it Legal to Smoke a Pipe while Driving?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damacene

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks. I hope he left you off with only a sheepish warning.
After examining the tin and pulling out a quarter of my 965 on the ground, he looked embarrassed and said " I didn't know people still did that" and let me go. I could tell he was hoping to snag me for a DUI. That's big money out here for the city.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Look, the real skinny is the law is whatever a cop says it is unless you have the money and time to contend otherwise. In which case, the law is whatever someone with a gavel and dressed as a wizard says it is.

Is it legal by the book? In the vast majority of cases, sure. But if you get pulled over, and the cop decides he "smells" weed or whatever stupid shit he comes up with, then get ready for a long day.

SCOTUS and so-called "tough on crime" types have spent the last three decades eroding your 4th amendment protections, especially if you are behind the wheel. Best thing to do is not give any cop an excuse to pull you over in the first place.

Reactions: kcghost

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Au contraire, mon ami. That's just dangerous in any but clear freeway driving.

Yeah, if you can't clench for a moment when the driving gets hairy, you're s.o.l., and a Churchwarden isn't going to be a help if you have to flash your lights while swerving and changing the track because another Celine Dion abomination started playing.

Not picking on your fellow country women, just dislike her greatly and not because she is from Canada. You are Canadian, I know. If I were Canadian, I'd be happy and proud to announce that.
No issue here: I can't stand her either.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
In the past year I've had two strange experiences with the police while smoking (cigarettes):

1. I went through a checkpoint in GA while burning a cigarette, a young buck state policeman barked, "put that out"... I was so caught off guard I was looking around for somewhere to put it out, I wasn't going to burn my finger. My ashtray was full of change, and if I threw it out the window he'd say I was littering... I just told him "no." Again he snapped "Sir, put it out.", "No" i said again. He handed me back my license and said "drive safely." Very strange incounter indeed.

2. I was pulled over in AL for a missing headlight, I had just hit a deer minutes before. A lady cop wrote me a full on ticket for the headlight and to my surprise a ticket for "smoking/vaping with a minor in the car, Under 12"... My son who is 11 was in the car and I was smoking as usual, I never heard of this before. I had to go to court, for some reason I couldn't just pay the ticket. I guess they hoped the judge would scold me. Long story short, the judge threw the ticket out because neither he, nor the DA had ever heard of the law. They said I may be the first in Alabama to get the ticket. Both of them agreed in open court that the law was absurd.

As far as I'm concerned they can suck it, I'm smoking in my car whenever I'm in it.

Pipes, cigars, hookahs, vapes, cigarettes, in rental cars... Whatever I want, jack booted thugs be damned.

Last edited:

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I would be in big, big trouble if it were mandatory.

If it is not banned in almost every part of the world I think it is due to a legislative gap, I have no other explanation.

A funny sketch comes to mind in "Sturmtruppen", a comic strip like "Peanuts" so to speak, where the protagonists are German soldiers during the Second World War. At a certain point, in the company, a soldier shows up at the front completely naked. He is immediately attacked by the (very mean) sergeant who tells him that going to fight naked is against the rules. At which point the soldier takes out the book of military regulations and says: "can you find the point where it talks about it?".

Attachments

• 61NzrUG21oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61NzrUG21oL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3
I find it very hard to believe that someone would think that someone was smoking weed out of a large tobacco pipe. I mean, I know that a 14 year old might do that, but a fully grown man? This is my problem with encouraging young 30 somethings into pipe smoking. At 30, a guy doesn't have the self confidence to smoke a pipe casually out in the open. They still look like children, and they still have that young man's ego that worries about people judging them. Wait till you're fully developed at 50, and grow a beard. puffy JK... really... but still... grow a beard. Ha ha.

Honestly, I can get out of my truck, put on my straw hat with my pipe in clench, and walk by a 30something smoking a pipe, and wonder why that child doesn't just use edibles. Ha ha.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
2. I was pulled over in AL for a missing headlight, I had just hit a deer minutes before. A lady cop wrote me a full on ticket for the headlight and to my surprise a ticket for "smoking/vaping with a minor in the car, Under 12"... My son who is 11 was in the car and I was smoking as usual, I never heard of this before. I had to go to court, for some reason I couldn't just pay the ticket. I guess they hoped the judge would scold me. Long story short, the judge threw the ticket out because neither he, nor the DA had ever heard of the law. They said I may be the first in Alabama to get the ticket. Both of them agreed in open court that the law was absurd.

As far as I'm concerned they can suck it, I'm smoking in my car whenever I'm in it.
I'm going to say it if no one else is; it's not absurd at all. Willfully exposing children to secondhand smoke could be severely detrimental to their health. This kind of stuff is the reason why smokers are reviled by nonsmokers.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I'm going to say it if no one else is; it's not absurd at all. Willfully exposing children to secondhand smoke could be severely detrimental to their health. This kind of stuff is the reason why smokers are reviled by nonsmokers.
My father did all the time. However, I can definitely say my own smoking is far worse than 2nd hand smoking from his. And, I'm still smoking and enjoying my life. Although, I never smoke around my kids, but that's more to do with dealing with endless PSA from my wife if I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.