tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a couple meerschaum and I enjoy them and would recommend adding one. It’s nice to have a pipe that you don’t need to break in like briar. I’m also less apprehensive about smoking a variety of blends, aro, Latakia out of it because it’s less likely to ghost flavors

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tough decision you are handing off to the general membership. rotf If you want one, buy one! I smoke them exclusively in the house because I can.

As meers soak up the residues of blends which have been smoked in the bowl, they ghost just like any permeable material. A briar with a thin coat of "cake" probably ghosts less than any often used material. A cob may be the most likely to ghost. I submit many smokers do not possess the palate to detect ghosting when smoking a different blend. Only a thought though. No need for the discerning to get their panties in a bunch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A meer is unique for clarity and definition of flavors, especially if your taste buds are finely tuned to these. I'd say a meer is not the best kick-around pipe. The coloring is an exercise in patience, and good results can take a few years. Don't overlook the similar coloring experience with unfinished briar pipes. I'd been smoking for decades before the late fish-n-banjo sent me an estate meer, my first, which I have enjoyed a lot and consider my definitive pipe for sorting out flavor in a blend.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
also, Falcon pipes with quality meerschaum bowls will give you an idea of the benefits of meerschaum pipe, and this combination is a bit more affordable than that of a real high-end meerschaum pipe like Altinay, IMP ecetera, also smokingpipes.com &EU and some Italian vendors will offer quite good value meerschaum pipes brand names such as AKB and Lubinski both these brands use Turkish block meerschaum but in all probability, these will come with screw plastic stem tenons

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
also, Falcon pipes with quality meerschaum bowls will give you an idea of the benefits of meerschaum pipe, and this combination is a bit more affordable than that of a real high-end meerschaum pipe like Altinay, IMP ecetera, also smokingpipes.com &EU and some Italian vendors will offer quite good value meerschaum pipes brand names such as AKB and Lubinski both these brands use Turkish block meerschaum but in all probability, these will come with screw plastic stem tenons
I'm looking at an AKB right now, and from the pictures the store sent, it seems like it does not have a screw in tenon!