PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
If you hit that with a heat gun or dip it in wax, that would dissipate, it's still just the wax. The internal coloring starts at the heel as an ashy color that darkens and spreads.

The brown is still just discolored wax but the darker ring is the color coming from the inside and that took 600+ smokes to get to.
View attachment 120886
Referring to the shank coloring, I just know it doesn't get hot and it doesn't get touched much, if at all, so the color is coming from either magic or tobacco juices traveling that way. If the color were to dissipate through a heat gun being unleashed, where do we assume it's disappeared to? Can't imagine it's too far.
Mmmm.... have to regularly smoke to maintain the color ?
No. I go months without smoking mine and they don't lose much color. Maybe a tiny bit.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here is the same pipe on the R.H side of the picture third one down taken a few years ago.

View attachment 120947
I've been torture testing that dublin that I posted as a test subject for meerschaum tolerances. That's why it looks so much different from its siblings all bought just weeks apart from one another.

20211101_020431.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It takes patience and a sh*t load of Plug or whatever but eventually the pipe will turn either like the one above or if you smoke old ones like myself and use a constrictor plug at the base you will get a similar result. It is all a matter of personal taste as I rotate through my pipes over the course of a month or so. @weezell has a few examples that have turned a truly excellent sh*t brown color through dedicated smoking. Funny as it may seem I have more luck with the stems turning brown then the bowls but your MMV.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It takes patience and a sh*t load of Plug or whatever but eventually the pipe will turn either like the one above or if you smoke old ones like myself and use a constrictor plug at the base you will get a similar result. It is all a matter of personal taste as I rotate through my pipes over the course of a month or so. @weezell has a few examples that have turned a truly excellent sh*t brown color through dedicated smoking. Funny as it may seem I have more luck with the stems turning brown then the bowls but your MMV.
As opposed to a not so excellent shit brown color?

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
You've gone native. The term is jobbie broun.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
@timt The first picture was taken today showing the pipe as it exists today. The second picture featuring many pipes shows the same pipe about four years previously. So it would be an after then before sequence.
Gotcha. CE and I were having a discussion on pipes fading due to disuse and thought you were proving his point. But I see that's not the case with your pipe here.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Gotcha. CE and I were having a discussion on pipes fading due to disuse and thought you were proving his point. But I see that's not the case with your pipe here.
The wax coloring does, the meerschaum coloring doesn't. You're not going to get meerschaum coloring until after it's been smoked a few hundred times, that's what Simon was agreeing with.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
As long as the wax remains impregnated into the meerschaum, it and it's coloring are part of the pipe. At least in my estimation. Anyway, I still think there could be a little magic involved too. puffy
I'll have to post a current photo of my skull when I get home from work. I think the last time I smoked it was around Halloween. Likely a lot lighter now. If you want to see what I mean by the warmth coloring the wax, run warm water through a meer and watch what happens. The wax will flash tan and remain so for a few days until all of the moisture evaporates.