Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 17, 2023
Indiana
The churchwarden cleaners are real handy for it. Tie one end to a faucet and run the stem up and down the cleaner to clean it out.
I did this on your recommendation elsewhere and it worked very well. However, a word of caution to those trying it, be careful not to get carried away and let the metal wire on the pipe cleaner dig into the mouthpiece and leave sawtooth like marks.1689709664373633036518901302631.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Amazing job, i just went back and read your other posts on this and the videos you linked, I have two P Holm estates and the stems aren't horrible but i did one with wet sanding and working up to a super fine grit then microfiber to a "shine" .. the other one I'm going to do with flame, if i eff up at least the stems are interchangeable ... One Stem, Two Bowls... could be the new interest sensation ROFL

Oh, there’s a video of @Chasing Embers showing how to do this with a flame?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m no Cumberland pro, but my Bay Denmark apple with a Cumberland stem, I bought October 2021, has never once oxidized.

All I’ve done so far, I take a microfiber cloth dipped in drinking water to wipe the stem off after smoking, then I rub it down with Obsidian oil, and let it sit overnight, and then wipe it off the following day.

EA0A30F2-9B94-456C-AA08-62AFCBAA8784.jpeg

235CFED4-74BF-4962-82FA-CE878ED65D40.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m no Cumberland pro, but my Bay Denmark apple with a Cumberland stem, I bought October 2021, has never once oxidized.

All I’ve done so far, I take a microfiber cloth dipped in drinking water to wipe the stem off after smoking, then I rub it down with Obsidian oil, and let it sit overnight, and then wipe it off the following day.

View attachment 236493

View attachment 236495
When cumberland oxidizes, it gets a haze about it more than discoloring.

Last edited:

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I generally use full strength AWESOME! cleanser since it's cheap. I spray it on and work the stem with wet/dry sandpaper. Depending on the oxidation, I will use 400,600 or 800 grit paper. Elbow grease. That usually cuts through the worst of it. After that, each stem gets worked over with my Dremel tool with a yellow polishing wheel and Tripoli compound. I know you said you had no power tools, but the above is a small investment that, for me, has paid for itself. Most of the pipes I get in my workshop are green with oxidation. Good luck!

MGAOKC

Might Stick Around
Oct 2, 2022
OKC OK
When I get an estate pipe I will polish it out with sandpaper polish and buffer.
If it’s really bad I will soak it in oxyclean.
Then I keep it oiled after every smoke and put upon a cabinet so the sun light does not get to them.
I have started to also clean and wax the rim a little to keep the char off the rim.
Plus I don’t over fill my pipes with tobacco.
You spend good money for them I just can’t see screwing them up.