PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
My first experience with condor was the plug made in Poland. I didn’t find it bad at all. I was a bit confused by all of the hype surrounding the blend, and thought maybe those who liked it preferred it’s Virginia only base.

I then tried the Irish condor plug. A pipe smoking friend summed up the experience perfectly. He got up before dawn, loaded his clay with it, had a hot water with lemon to the side and watched the sunrise surrounded by the dawn chorus. He smoked his condor, and he felt like he had come home.
@Ahi Ka Sounds like heaven to me:)

Reactions: PipeIT and Ahi Ka

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have a number of the Polish plugs, ironically ordered from a shop in Ireland. I quite like them, but I've never had the original Irish ones, so there's that.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
To my memory, you’ve always thought Condor was woeful… no?

I see the Irish Condor go for sale on here from to time but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I’m the only one who seems to think the Polish Condor ain’t bad but that could be because I’m stocked up on the Irish stuff, who knows. All I can say is, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the new stuff if I was in need of some.
Been smoking Condor on and off for 50 years. The last batch was 1/2 kilo of ready rubbed purchased cheaply in Spain and brought over to me here by family members a few years ago. I assume it was the Polish produced stuff but it still tasted great to me. ?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
You are just smashing the interweb paradigm.

There seem to be several paradigms when it comes to Condor.

1. They are both the same. I heard this from a 35 year old who has been smoking Condor plug his entire life.

2. They are completely different. This is from me. I've smoked them both, and expected the Polish to be the same, so no preconceived notions. In fact, I smoked the Polish before ever participating on pipe forums. Maybe I just got a bad plug.

3. They are close enough - I love them both. I'm happy for these people.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

1. They are both the same. I heard this from a 35 year old who has been smoking Condor plug his entire life.

2. They are completely different. This is from me. I've smoked them both, and expected the Polish to be the same, so no preconceived notions. In fact, I smoked the Polish before ever participating on pipe forums. Maybe I just got a bad plug.

It’s almost as if everyone’s taste is all in their mouth.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have been smoking the stuff for 37 odd years. The RR doesn't taste like it used to as it is missing that Fairy Washing Up liquid taste, I have a fair stock of the Gallaghers Plug, the Polish stuff tastes like sucking the farts out of a swan but may have improved. I will be visiting Ireland soon so I may pick up some of the latest Polish stuff and give it a try again.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@runscott : Taste is a very subjective thing. Some people tell me that McDonalds tastes different today compared to 30 years ago. The cut of Condor was much coarser when I first started smoking it circa 1980/81 but then in those days it came in little green foil cubes wrapped in cellophane and was sold in 1/2 oz weights I think for 45p if my memory has not gone totally gaga. I noticed the change with the RR in the early 2000s when the cut became finer. I have preferred the plug since you can adjust the cut to suite your preference. I guess nothing ever remains the same with exception of Twinky Bars!

Reactions: jpberg and PipeIT

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
@runscott : Taste is a very subjective thing. Some people tell me that McDonalds tastes different today compared to 30 years ago. The cut of Condor was much coarser when I first started smoking it circa 1980/81 but then in those days it came in little green foil cubes wrapped in cellophane and was sold in 1/2 oz weights I think for 45p if my memory has not gone totally gaga. I noticed the change with the RR in the early 2000s when the cut became finer. I have preferred the plug since you can adjust the cut to suite your preference. I guess nothing ever remains the same with exception of Twinky Bars!

Yes, that all makes sense, but I'm only talking about the plug. I shaved my plugs in the 1980's, just as I did in 2018 or so when I obtained a Polish plug.

The thing is - it doesn't really matter, as I won't likely be smoking Irish Condor again.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@runscott : I used to shave plugs but for some odd reason I used to over time wind up with an odd shaped lump of tobacco. Condor Plugs are smaller than Warrior Plugs which have double the amount of tobacco. Interestingly Jim Inks reviewed both the Gallagher and Polish one a few years back and was adamant that the sauce had changed. I guess its horses for courses! Have a pleasant evening and I'll catch with you all tomorrow!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Been smoking Condor on and off for 50 years. The last batch was 1/2 kilo of ready rubbed purchased cheaply in Spain and brought over to me here by family members a few years ago. I assume it was the Polish produced stuff but it still tasted great to me. ?
Glad I’m not the only one who thinks it’s still great! I think there are some people who listen to what a few of the better known folks on here have to say about it and they just follow suit… If it has gotten worse, it’s still king in my eyes. Maybe there were some off batches, maybe it took some time for the Polish to fine tune the process but whatever it may be, it’s still mighty fine… thee all mighty Condor! I’ve not been smoking it as long as you have but you’ve certain given me something to aspire to!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

the more reviews I read the more I realize we all experience pipes tobacco in very different ways. Heck I can have wildly different reactions to the same blend from the same tin.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
the more reviews I read the more I realize we all experience pipes tobacco in very different ways. Heck I can have wildly different reactions to the same blend from the same tin.
As an example - I’ve got a two year old jar of Original (Walnut) Flake, a close relation to St Bruno. I loaded up a Falcon the other night and it was sublime: cool, slow burning and full of flavour (I sound a bit like a tag line ?).
The next night I decided to have another go with the same tobacco, from the same jar, in the same pipe, at the same time and it was…off. It tasted totally unrecognisable from the night before, totally different. It burnt slow but it was all over my tongue like an imp with a hot poker. Very strange.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As an example - I’ve got a two year old jar of Original (Walnut) Flake, a close relation to St Bruno. I loaded up a Falcon the other night and it was sublime: cool, slow burning and full of flavour (I sound a bit like a tag line ?).
The next night I decided to have another go with the same tobacco, from the same jar, in the same pipe, at the same time and it was…off. It tasted totally unrecognisable from the night before, totally different. It burnt slow but it was all over my tongue like an imp with a hot poker. Very strange.
some blends go like that at different parts of the same smoking session. The best and worst for that in my experience has been Savs Golden Coins. That one has had times where I was about to dumb out the pipe and then suddenly one of the most sublime smoking experiences ever.