PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I luckily, recently scored an Irish pouch off Tinbids. Going to have my first bowl tonight.

View attachment 168677

View attachment 168678
Unfortunately just the packaging alone isn’t enough to tell if it’s Irish or Polish Condor. When they took over production they were still using the same pouches/wrappers. If the lot number starts with an L it’s Irish, if it starts with a B it’s Polish. I’m just regurgitating second hand info that I found pretty credible, I think there is a thread on here regarding this somewhere.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Unfortunately just the packaging alone isn’t enough to tell if it’s Irish or Polish Condor. When they took over production they were still using the same pouches/wrappers. If the lot number starts with an L it’s Irish, if it starts with a B it’s Polish. I’m just regurgitating second hand info that I found pretty credible, I think there is a thread on here regarding this somewhere.
@hawky454
Are you "compus mentas" with deciphering the year from the barcodes? I think there's 30 years between these two pouches but that's just a guess.
DSC_0133.JPG

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

I don’t know what/where this Lot Number is you are referring to? 🤔

I got this from TinBids, it was listed as 2008 UK Production.

Here’s a few pics of my pouch.

65773DC1-5B62-43B3-BB53-C9987D762857.jpeg

144F908C-BFAD-4394-BCC2-03D7BFCD168B.jpeg

The only numbers of any kind are this barcode, that’s all.

B0E9D9F9-229B-4B65-A8A9-8C7601E3C3F6.jpeg

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Poland joined the EU in 2004, I don’t know what the EU laws are, but selling a product falsely marked made in another country, I would assume, would carry severe penalties of fraud, just as they do in the USA.

So when you mentioned, they used the same pouches, I can’t image they used pouches that said made in the UK.

My pouch says made in the UK.

Reactions: The Clay King

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t know what/where this Lot Number is you are referring to? 🤔

I got this from TinBids, it was listed as 2008 UK Production.

Here’s a few pics of my pouch.

View attachment 169057

View attachment 169058

The only numbers of any kind are this barcode, that’s all.

View attachment 169059
Oh I’m sure you are good then. I think the number can be inside the pouch some times. I just moved and found some surprise pouches… I’ll take a gander at those so I can try to be a bit more helpful.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I looked all around there’s nothing.

Except on the inside upper left a blank white little rectangle.

Then on the lower left a black line, I mention this in the next paragraph.

And on the lower right a number 3, inside, I assume it was suppose to be a square. What looks like the bottom of the square, is being displayed on the lower left.

hmm 🤔

9380E333-434B-4A9F-8994-61D8891B5DBC.jpeg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I looked all around there’s nothing.

Except on the inside upper left a blank white little rectangle.

Then on the lower left a black line, I mention this in the next paragraph.

And on the lower right a number 3, inside, I assume it was suppose to be a square. What looks like the bottom of the square, is being displayed on the lower left.

hmm 🤔

View attachment 169079
Interesting, I believe all mine have that lot number, even the 5 pack I bought from the 90’s.

This is where I usually find mine.

89C4F6D9-5611-439C-8E26-7E115DD09856.jpeg

Some are very hard to see…

CA870B6D-FD62-49B5-A079-BDD3FD0699C1.jpeg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Wow, their site says, worlds first hydrogen powered double decker bus... ? pretty cool... ?

@PipeIT Nottingham has the world's largest fleet of biogas double decker buses; I saw loads of them when I went to the pipe meet at the Canalhouse. The gas engines are made by Scania in Sweden. I like how Nottingham has different bus route colours; it must be a pain if one breaks down though:)

Reactions: PipeIT

LouisPiper

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
On the back of this thread I went hunting for some Condor and found a shop near me with some of the Polish variant Plug. I have nothing to compare to in terms of the old vs new one. But this one was a very tasty smoke. Had all the notes you see mentioned in the reviews, perfumey, soapy, thick smoke. Slow burning. Not sure on the nic hit as I have quite a tolerance so don't get much from pipe tobacco in that regard. I'll definitely be getting more.

Reactions: PipeIT and hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
On the back of this thread I went hunting for some Condor and found a shop near me with some of the Polish variant Plug. I have nothing to compare to in terms of the old vs new one. But this one was a very tasty smoke. Had all the notes you see mentioned in the reviews, perfumey, soapy, thick smoke. Slow burning. Not sure on the nic hit as I have quite a tolerance so don't get much from pipe tobacco in that regard. I'll definitely be getting more.
That’s what I’m talking about! Your description makes my mouth water. Delicious, especially the plug!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Oh I’m sure you are good then. I think the number can be inside the pouch some times. I just moved and found some surprise pouches… I’ll take a gander at those so I can try to be a bit more helpful.

Well as I mentioned before about fraud, with Japan Tobacco owning them, I don’t believe a company of this size would falsely advertise the pouch made from another country. I would assume there are a lot of EU regulations and inspectors keeping a tobacco industry in check in the EU as well.

Since my pouch says made in the UK, I have to believe it’s real and fraud wasn’t committed.

Reactions: hawky454

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Where’s “near me”?

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Well as I mentioned before about fraud, with Japan Tobacco owning them, I don’t believe a company of this size would falsely advertise the pouch made from another country. I would assume there are a lot of EU regulations and inspectors keeping a tobacco industry in check in the EU as well.

Since my pouch says made in the UK, I have to believe it’s real and fraud wasn’t committed.
St Bruno still says “Ogden’s of Liverpool” on the pouch and it’s not been near the Mersey for quite sometime. 🤷‍♂️ I think they keep things like that on pouches to affirm the continuity of the product?