PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Once again, from the world of hunting dogs, I don't ever run across people saying things like that, ha ha.
We will just have to disagree.
If you actually are in "the world of hunting dogs" you're running in the wrong circles if you think this behavior can't be corrected at a young age.

Sounds like someone got a little offended. You may want to update your signature friend.
No, I am laughing. Go on, please keep telling us more things that are proving you such an expert, from percentages of dogs with behavior issues to owners not being fit, ha ha. You obviously think that I am just making stuff up, but from someone who has hunted, I just never hear of people trying to train gun-shyness out of dogs. Sure, sure, they are trained not to be afraid when they are little, but never once a dog has developed a fear of gunshyness. There is a difference.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
best answer to does he bite I have heard is. Does he have a mouth? Then he can bite.
If the question is "does" he bite, then that doesn't really answer the question. "Can" and "does" are two different things, no?
Can my dog bite? Sure. Does he? Not unless you bite him first.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think this is the second craziest thing that has happened with a dog. I was walking through a field separated from the woods by lots of weeds. Like can't get through those weeds without a manchette weeds. Suddenly I hear something crashing through those weeds. Before I can really react a huge pit bull is coming out of those weeds leash trailing behind it. The thing jumped at my face with just enough time to lean back which was good because of all the slober coming off his tongue. Then when he landed he jumped up three times licked my face and ran back. I still am trying to figure out why the dog had to do that to a complete stranger.

Reactions: smokeymo

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
If the question is "does" he bite, then that doesn't really answer the question. "Can" and "does" are two different things, no?
Can my dog bite? Sure. Does he? Not unless you bite him first.
I still think it was the best answer I've heard. Especially since I've seen people ask that question and then basically get in the dogs space in a way that leaves the poor animal with a frightened wth is going on look.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I still think it was the best answer I've heard. Especially since I've seen people ask that question and then basically get in the dogs space in a way that leaves the poor animal with a frightened wth is going on look.
Idk, if someone gave me that answer I'd re-ask the question. Or I would assume they are a little slow in the head haha. Obviously the dog "can" bite. I'm asking if he/she "does". I also think that is a silly question, I prefer "can I pet your dog?"
Honestly, I mostly prefer if they just pet him without asking. If they ask it shows apprehension (for the most part) and dogs can sense anxiety and it confuses them and makes them anxious. Especially on-leash. In my experience anyway. If you just come up and pet my lab, he will be your best friend. If you do the whole, shying away while trying to get him to smell your hand first, he will be like "wtf is this human doing, I'm not so sure about this one"

Like I said, that's just me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Idk, if someone gave me that answer I'd re-ask the question. Or I would assume they are a little slow in the head haha. Obviously the dog "can" bite. I'm asking if he/she "does". I also think that is a silly question, I prefer "can I pet your dog?"
Honestly, I mostly prefer if they just pet him without asking. If they ask it shows apprehension (for the most part) and dogs can sense anxiety and it confuses them and makes them anxious. Especially on-leash. In my experience anyway. If you just come up and pet my lab, he will be your best friend. If you do the whole, shying away while trying to get him to smell your hand first, he will be like "wtf is this human doing, I'm not so sure about this one"

Like I said, that's just me.
yeah I usually just pet dogs. But for some reason they tend to demand it. Often to the surprise of the people walking them. Not sure why. Like they turn into these vibrating messes of excitement. Funny thing is I am a cat person to be honest. Dogs are great but I don't really relate as much to them. Cats I get.

Reactions: smokeymo

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The first is a fact.
I'd enjoy seeing some statistical support for the "vast majority" statement. In my location, most of the dogs turned in are because the owner is being PCS'd to a combat area or the owners suddenly realized pet ownership requires commitment which they are unwilling make. Usually, in my opinion, "owner failure" is the reason a pup isn't housebroken or hasn't been socialized. There is no doubt, in my mind, that some dogs are "problem" mutts but, the "vast majority" certainly doesn't hold up in my area.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I'd enjoy seeing some statistical support for the "vast majority" statement. In my location, most of the dogs turned in are because the owner is being PCS'd to a combat area or the owners suddenly realized pet ownership requires commitment which they are unwilling make. Usually, in my opinion, "owner failure" is the reason a pup isn't housebroken or hasn't been socialized. There is no doubt, in my mind, that some dogs are "problem" mutts but, the "vast majority" certainly doesn't hold up in my area.
Ah so you're using anecdotal evidence. But you're demanding that I provide documentation. Sound debating.
Also, "owner failure" is the reason why these dogs have behavioral issues. Behavioral issues include: begging, chewing on stuff, bathroom in the house, aggression towards people and/or other animals, anxiety, fear of abandonment, etc. Now, being put in a shelter and kept in a cage all day for time on end could even cause some of that. I'm not saying that they are "turned in" because of these behavioral issues. And I'm not saying that they are cause for alarm or anything. I'm just saying they have them.

Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
yeah I usually just pet dogs. But for some reason they tend to demand it. Often to the surprise of the people walking them. Not sure why. Like they turn into these vibrating messes of excitement. Funny thing is I am a cat person to be honest. Dogs are great but I don't really relate as much to them. Cats I get.
I prefer anyone I don’t know to ask before they touch anything of my responsibility. Dog or otherwise. If I don’t know you, please don’t invade my space uninvited. I find it as a courteous gesture like saying hello. It’s not about the dog, it’s about the basic respects between 2 people who don’t know each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.